The Student Room Group

Sciences Po PhD admission 2022

Is anyone waiting for a PhD admission result?
I got their PhD offer for IR in around 20th of March in 2020. I assume it won't be too different this year. Hope you can make it!
Reply 2
Original post by VigoWilliam
I got their PhD offer for IR in around 20th of March in 2020. I assume it won't be too different this year. Hope you can make it!

Thank you for your kind words! It shows the result will be notified 'mid-March' this year in the website, so I guess it's probably between 10th to 20th March. I am applying for a PhD in political science, not IR but comparative politics. I guess you are under CERI. When you were applying, did your desired supervisor give you a guarantee? I was only told that my proposal is 'good', so I think my prospect is very much uncertain.
Original post by usus
Thank you for your kind words! It shows the result will be notified 'mid-March' this year in the website, so I guess it's probably between 10th to 20th March. I am applying for a PhD in political science, not IR but comparative politics. I guess you are under CERI. When you were applying, did your desired supervisor give you a guarantee? I was only told that my proposal is 'good', so I think my prospect is very much uncertain.

I had a few talks with my potential supervisor, but there were no guarantee. From what I have heard, potential supervisors can recommend you to the admission, but they can't normally guarantee the outcome. If your supervisor told you the proposal is good. We can assume your supervisor has personally accepted you. If your academic record is generally fine, your prospect should be quite promising.
Reply 4
I had a few talks with my potential supervisor, but there were no guarantee. From what I have heard, potential supervisors can recommend you to the admission, but they can't normally guarantee the outcome. If your supervisor told you the proposal is good. We can assume your supervisor has personally accepted you. If your academic record is generally fine, your prospect should be quite promising.

Thank you for your feedback! I feel less anxious now! My potential supervisors also told me that there are other students who are interested in his supervision, but he has only one place this year. This competition may also increase uncertainty, but I think your analysis is quite right.
Out of curiosity, were you admitted with a PhD contact? I heard that Sciences Po wouldn't accept students without funding. I assume that everybody with an offer can secure the funding.
Original post by usus
Thank you for your feedback! I feel less anxious now! My potential supervisors also told me that there are other students who are interested in his supervision, but he has only one place this year. This competition may also increase uncertainty, but I think your analysis is quite right.
Out of curiosity, were you admitted with a PhD contact? I heard that Sciences Po wouldn't accept students without funding. I assume that everybody with an offer can secure the funding.

No, I didn't secure any funding when I applied, though I was offered one when the result was out. As far as I remembered, many fundings won't consider applications until you have an offer. It's unlikely Sciences Po only accept students who already secure one. In terms of contract, I ended up with another inistitution so I don't know anything about that.
Reply 6
No, I didn't secure any funding when I applied, though I was offered one when the result was out. As far as I remembered, many fundings won't consider applications until you have an offer. It's unlikely Sciences Po only accept students who already secure one. In terms of contract, I ended up with another inistitution so I don't know anything about that.

You are so cool! You refused Sciences Po! I got rejected by LSE. I also applied UCL, but haven't got an answer. I think Sciences Po's PhD in political science is less competitive than English-speaking universities, as there's French requirement excluding many excellent international applicants. If I'm rejected by them,I assume the prospect of the UCL application will be very slim. Do you agree?
Original post by usus
You are so cool! You refused Sciences Po! I got rejected by LSE. I also applied UCL, but haven't got an answer. I think Sciences Po's PhD in political science is less competitive than English-speaking universities, as there's French requirement excluding many excellent international applicants. If I'm rejected by them,I assume the prospect of the UCL application will be very slim. Do you agree?

Actually, I considered all of them. I chose LSE just because that's the worst time of covid and it was safer to stay somewhere you are familiar with. I feel LSE and Sciences Po are equally brutal. UCL is less so. SPP's admission is mostly ceremonial when potential supervisors accept a student. Your chances to UCL should be higher. But I know UCL's staff in comparative politics are much stronger than their IR group (international security), so our situations might be different.
Reply 8

Hi Vigo. Congrats on your offer. I wanted to ask about your research proposal. How long was it? I’m currently drafting one and need advice. Also is it alright if I message you
Hi, may I ask a question regarding the research proposal.
Though the website provides for a word count of upto 5000 words for law, however the online application only has add file/upload tabs for ‘Doctoral thesis topic' and 'Doctoral thesis abstract' . There is no other upload tab as regards research thesis/proposal. On the face of it it seems strange that I would be required to upload 5000 word research proposal/thesis project on either of Doctoral thesis topic' and 'Doctoral thesis abstract'. I am assuming that the thesis abstract upload tab would be for the two page synopsis as mentioned on the website (under required documents) .
Could you kindly answer the question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending