The Student Room Group

Groom cleared of raping his bride on their wedding night

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrHappy_J
I never implied that but in all honesty I don't think she was lying.

Well I respect your opinion but I was just making the point that if acquitted =/= innocent then convicted =/= guilty.
Original post by Multitalented me
Well I respect your opinion but I was just making the point that if acquitted =/= innocent then convicted =/= guilty.

acquitted doesn't mean that the jury found him innocent? It simply means that there wasn't enough proof for whatever reason.
acquitted doesn't mean that the jury found him innocent? It simply means that there wasn't enough proof for whatever reason.

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty :rolleyes:
Original post by Multitalented me
Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty :rolleyes:

What I don't understand is why the article only says what the defendant and the victim say but no further evidence either way- surely it can't just be a case of her word against his?

But the details she gave about each of the assaults make me think she wasn't lying. As for the husband- as far as we know he just said what anybody accused of rape would say, that he didn't do it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by LemonLizards
It's interesting to see her sentence though. Just two years. Whilst if her former boyfriend was falsely accused, he would have got longer than that most likely. In fact lying to put an innocent man in prison might be even a worse crime.

This is true, but the significant difference between the two crimes which is why I believe a rapist gets more time in jail than a liar is that once the latter is brought to justice, the unfairly accused can pretty much get on with their life, their name cleared whereas someone who is raped usually never gets over it despite their rapist being jailed. Being accused of rape can have its psychological damages, but not usually to the extent of not being able to leave the house or have a healthy relationship again without extensive counselling if ever.

I understand where you're coming from but I hope you understand my point too.
Original post by Evangelica
This is true, but the significant difference between the two crimes which is why I believe a rapist gets more time in jail than a liar is that once the latter is brought to justice, the unfairly accused can pretty much get on with their life, their name cleared whereas someone who is raped usually never gets over it despite their rapist being jailed. Being accused of rape can have its psychological damages, but not usually to the extent of not being able to leave the house or have a healthy relationship again without extensive counselling if ever.

I understand where you're coming from but I hope you understand my point too.

yeah makes sense :smile:.
Reply 46
Original post by ckingalt
No woman is likely to ever be prosecuted for making false rape allegations. Even if those allegations are proven to be false without a doubt. Women's groups would have a fit for fear of discouraging actual victims from coming forward. While I understand the desire to protect real victims, I believe our justice system should be sacred in its' pursuit of justice for all.

While I think ANYONE making false rape accusations is horrible, this is not true. There have been several cases of women being prosecuted and sentenced for false rape allegations. For example:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/oct/17/woman-jailed-false-rape-claim
Original post by Anna150
Agreed, because people are so very stupid in their self righteousness and are quick to vilify people. Either the defendant for being a 'rapist that got away with it' or the accuser for being a 'lying bitch'. Both labels could stick and haunt them for the rest of their lives.

Reminds me of the Paediatrician who was driven out of her home by an angry mob :rolleyes:

tbh the thing that annoys me most is the way tabloid papers knowingly whip people into a frenzy and take absolutely no responsibility when an innocent person is hounded and ends up suffering because they wanted to sell more papers. The whole point of being found not guilty is that you can't be punished, that seems pointless when the media seem to have their own system to punish people they decide are guilty, I'm all for freedom of the press but this is getting out of hand.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 48
acquitted=/= innocent.

Innocent until proven guilty? I thought that was the general rule.

Therefore, if one has NOT been found guilty, then they are, for all intents and purposes, innocent, as "guilt" in this context is a legal definition
Justice prevails :sexface:
Reply 50
Original post by dgeorge
While I think ANYONE making false rape accusations is horrible, this is not true. There have been several cases of women being prosecuted and sentenced for false rape allegations. For example:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/oct/17/woman-jailed-false-rape-claim

It's good to know. It's amazing how many high-profile rape cases in the U.S. have developed to show that the "victims" made false allegations only to have the case dismissed and no repercussions for the accuser. The Duke lacrosse rape case for instance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_lacrosse_case
Reply 51
Original post by S-man10
That doesn't change the fact that he was proven innocent? :curious:

I think you'll find that 'proof of innocence' has nothing whatsoever to do with modern jurisprudence.
Reply 52
Original post by ckingalt
It's good to know. It's amazing how many high-profile rape cases in the U.S. have developed to show that the "victims" made false allegations only to have the case dismissed and no repercussions for the accuser. The Duke lacrosse rape case for instance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_lacrosse_case

That's unbelievable. Have you seen the bit where it says 'subsequent arrests and convictions of the accuser'
She is currently being held on a murder charge after stabbing and killing her boyfriend:

Just before midnight on February 17, 2010, Durham police were called to Mangum's residence by her nine-year old daughter. When they arrived, they claimed that a fight was in progress between Crystal and her live-in boyfriend. They alleged that she set fire to some of his clothing in a bathtub in their presence. The building suffered heavy smoke damage. She was arrested on charges of attempted murder, first-degree arson, assault and battery, identity theft, communicating threats, damage to property, resisting an officer and misdemeanor child abuse.[141]

Mangum was ordered to remain in jail on $1 million bond. Her bond was lowered to $100,000 in May, and she was released from jail to live in a friend's house. She was required to wear an electronic monitoring device. On July 12, 2010, she was released from house arrest and required to move in with her mother. She was then allowed to visit her three children but only under supervision of social services. On August 25, 2010, Mangum was rearrested and held on $150,000 bond for failure to comply with restrictions on her child visitation order.[142]

On December 17, 2010, Mangum was convicted of five misdemeanor charges involving child abuse. She was also convicted of injury to personal property and resisting a public officer. The jury deadlocked 9-3 for conviction on the felony arson charge but was unable to reach a decision on it.[143] After the verdict, Judge Abe Jones sentenced Mangum to the 88 days in jail which she had already served and restored the custody of her children.[144] Durham Assistant District Attorney Mark McCullough announced on January 21, 2011, that he will not retry Mangum on arson charges.[145]

On April 2, 2011, Mangum was arrested for allegedly stabbing and seriously injuring her boyfriend. She was charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious bodily injury, a class C felony in North Carolina.[146][147] Her boyfriend later died in the hospital. Mangum is currently being held in jail under a $300,000 secured bond, which was set prior to her boyfriend's death.[148][149] On 7 December, 2011 she was deemed mentally competent to stand trial for his murder.[150]
Reply 53
If the spouse really did lie, God... what a horrible person.
Reply 54
Original post by Anna150

Reminds me of the Paediatrician who was driven out of her home by an angry mob :rolleyes:

:eek:

I honestly do feel sorry for the poor lady, but at the same time, I just :teehee: at those silly mobs; got the wrong person didn't ye :awesome:
Reply 55
What a surprise, she was a teen when they married.

****ing hate this generation I'm in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending