The Student Room Group

Maths exam IGCSE - HIGHER TIER - PAPER 3H AND PAPER 4H POST DISCUSSION.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yl95
Okay...our Maths department told us that the A* boundary is around 85% and I just wanted to know for sure. :l

Yes I know, nervousness is natural but you are just going to annoy people if you moan that you only got 93%. Check post #564 for answers.
Original post by yl95
Okay...our Maths department told us that the A* boundary is around 85% and I just wanted to know for sure. :l

how do you'll judge it before 4H?
Original post by sahajkaur
Yes I know, nervousness is natural but you are just going to annoy people if you moan that you only got 93%. Check post #564 for answers.

Oh I wasn't moaning that I got 92% but I guess it came off like that. ;P Sorry. Thanks for the answers, by the way.
All Maths departments say 85% that but the statistics from previous years speak for themselves.
Original post by yl95
Oh I wasn't moaning that I got 92% but I guess it came off like that. ;P Sorry. Thanks for the answers, by the way.

No worries. Best of luck.
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
how do you'll judge it before 4H?

I meant that our Maths Department told us ,before we sat them, that on average, looking at the past papers, the grade boundaries are 85% for A*, but obviously they'll be lowered.
EDIT: But I guess they wanted us to do well.
(edited 11 years ago)
HERE IS THE FULL PAPER WITH SOLUTIONS AND WORKING. Please rate this post.

My estimated grade boundaries:
A* 75%
A 58%
B 38%
C 20%

Sorry it did not let me upload it one part and my scanner isnt the best. Sorry and best wishes! Remember to rate this post.

Please corrrect your grade boundaries. A* has never been 75 since the history of the 4400 specification which started in May 2004 and A has never fallen beyond 61 since the May 2004 first examination. These boundaries aren't proper please correct them. I've attached grade boundaries from May 2004 - Nov 2010 please find them and then make a judgement (informed judgement) based on those past results. Please forgive me but I need to prevent people from getting misled. And yeah, how did you find this paper? Was it harder compared to other years? Was is just harder on it's own? Or was it easy according to your viewpoint. You're quite experienced so you can give a definite judgement whether the paper was hard or easy. Please do the correction and reply to my queries.
Reply 587
HERE IS THE FULL PAPER WITH SOLUTIONS AND WORKING. Please rate this post.

My estimated grade boundaries:
A* 75%
A 58%
B 38%
C 20%

Sorry it did not let me upload it one part and my scanner isnt the best. Sorry and best wishes! Remember to rate this post.

I tried to rate your post, but I rated one yesterday so it wont' let me again so soon. :colondollar:

I've estimated I got around 39%, so if your boundary estimations are accurate, I'll be very pleased. But I suppose that boundary can't be taken too seriously because the overall boundary will change for the two papers combined, right? So, presuming 4H is a little bit easier than 3H, the boundary for a B could shoot up to around 43% or something, couldn't it?

How sure are you those could be the grade boundaries? I'm curious because I don't remember seeing a paper where a B was below 40%.
Just to confirm with you again, on question 7 I calculated the height incorrectly (I put 9 because I didn't have time to think, but it was actually 4), but I did the rest of the working right using half of the base multiplied by the height to give the area of the triangle, then added to the given area of the rectangle. Is that 3 marks despite the answer being wrong because of the incorrect height used?
i guess 75% is A* for 3H
And 4H is going to be wayyy easier
So grade boundaries rise to say A* for 83 or 84 marks. Definitely not 85
Can you upload the other papers...like French Listening? or ICT Practicals?

Sorry you'll get those after 4th July 2012 because it's only maths that we are given immediately after the exam to verify our answers because in maths there is only one answer but in these other subjects especially ICT practicals there can be many answers so the papers will be uploaded with their respective marking schemes on 17th of July 2012. You'll have to wait till then.
i guess 75% is A* for 3H
And 4H is going to be wayyy easier
So grade boundaries rise to say A* for 83 or 84 marks. Definitely not 85

Sorry A* can never be 75 for 3H only, and it has never been so in the past. According to me, A* for 3H only must be 81 and who knows 4H may be harder. You are the one who was telling everyone on this forum that it's going to be too hard now why have you become so optimistic all of a sudden?
Dunno why people here take grade boundaries too seriously and try calculating it too. Do calculating grade boundaries before doing exams make you try harder or does it just waste your time and distract you. i'm just curious why people care a damn about the grade boundaries while in the end of the day they are not the ones deciding it.
Original post by gabriel 41
Sorry A* can never be 75 for 3H only, and it has never been so in the past. According to me, A* for 3H only must be 81 and who knows 4H may be harder. You are the one who was telling everyone on this forum that it's going to be too hard now why have you become so optimistic all of a sudden?

Well for my part I felt the paper was definitely more easier than the previous 3H (I still cannot figure out any mistakes ) so i thought 4H will going to be harder. But now I understand that it was very hard for most of you'll so i changed by stance.
Dunno why people here take grade boundaries too seriously and try calculating it too. Do calculating grade boundaries before doing exams make you try harder or does it just waste your time and distract you. i'm just curious why people care a damn about the grade boundaries while in the end of the day they are not the ones deciding it.

Why did you predict grade boundaries yourself it you think it's a waste of time? Your grade boundaries were misleading and I had to save people from that. They are important as they make us harder in paper 4H and enable us to predict the grade will get and prepare ourselves accordingly before the final results come out. :tongue:
Well for my part I felt the paper was definitely more easier than the previous 3H (I still cannot figure out any mistakes ) so i thought 4H will going to be harder. But now I understand that it was very hard for most of you'll so i changed by stance.

check the solutions done by Kaur to figure out your mistakes. It's very unlikely that you've got everything right, especially question 18:confused:
Gabriel, I have adjusted the grade boundaries now to the lowest they have ever been for your satisfaction and I would like to say now this is just an estimation, I am not an exam board representative. Also it is important to note that this is not the same specification, this specification ended with the last examination in November 2010 so really we have no past boundaries. I did this paper and I did with relative ease because I am quite experienced but for GCSE level student I feel this was an exceptionally hard paper so that's why I put the boundaries a bit lower. Ofcourse I can make a more valued judgement when 4H is out. All I can say is prepare for the next exam, stop dwelling on this one or even the boundaries, no one can predict them accurately, even I can just give a rough estimate.

I would just like to say it is important to look towards 4H rather than dwell on this one. Prepare for your next exam and think positive, do not freak out. It will help nothing and I'll be able to make a more valued judgement after 4H.

I wish all of you the Best of Luck and it is important of these forums to consider that many people have many different target goals and it is imperative that we respect each other.

And yes, grade boundaries are very important but it is equally as important not to dwell on them.
it was actually a fairly challenging paper, i reckon 4H is gonna be a pretty much carbon copy ( with different questions of course) of June 2011 paper 4H - if you havent done it, then have a go very good paper for revision

couldnt resist the temptation to have a look at the mark scheme, looks i got 82/100 - which going by what prev stats say that looks about scraping A* :smile:
Gabriel, I have adjusted the grade boundaries now to the lowest they have ever been for your satisfaction and I would like to say now this is just an estimation, I am not an exam board representative. Also it is important to note that this is not the same specification, this specification ended with the last examination in November 2010 so really we have no past boundaries. I did this paper and I did with relative ease because I am quite experienced but for GCSE level student I feel this was an exceptionally hard paper so that's why I put the boundaries a bit lower. Ofcourse I can make a more valued judgement when 4H is out. All I can say is prepare for the next exam, stop dwelling on this one or even the boundaries, no one can predict them accurately, even I can just give a rough estimate.

I would just like to say it is important to look towards 4H rather than dwell on this one. Prepare for your next exam and think positive, do not freak out. It will help nothing and I'll be able to make a more valued judgement after 4H.

I wish all of you the Best of Luck and it is important of these forums to consider that many people have many different target goals and it is imperative that we respect each other.

And yes, grade boundaries are very important but it is equally as important not to dwell on them.

Okay thank you. However, this new specification is based on the 4400 specification and therefore the grade boundaries and paper setting are yet the same. Anyway, that was important and you corrected it. Thank you. And sorry if I was rude and I'll surely focus on my next exams.

I would just like to say that it is people like you who like to feel good by making other people feel bad. If you are so confident that you got 100% then why are you on this thread? You have no need to be discussing it or looking at the answers?! I suggest you leave right now or start having some consideration for those around you.
Original post by Fas
it was actually a fairly challenging paper, i reckon 4H is gonna be a pretty much carbon copy ( with different questions of course) of June 2011 paper 4H - if you havent done it, then have a go very good paper for revision

couldnt resist the temptation to have a look at the mark scheme, looks i got 82/100 - which going by what prev stats say that looks about scraping A* :smile:

Well done! Best of luck for 4H everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending