The Student Room Group

History P1 and P2

So? How did you guys do in your exam and what options did you choose for paper 2? I chose "X" and something like "X" in my case.

Share experiences and comment :smile:

EDIT
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It hasn't been 24 hours yet so nobody is allowed to comment yet. If I were you I'd quickly delete those examples that you put in your post :tongue:
The exam was today. You'll have to wait 24 hours until people are allowed to comment.
Reply 3
Oops. Thanks about that! That's the first time I've heard about it.
Original post by Ahotaru
Oops. Thanks about that! That's the first time I've heard about it.

It's because people take the exams in different time zones so it's safer to wait 24H until discussion is allowed :yes:
Reply 5
its been 24h now! :smile:
Reply 6
okay lovely :biggrin:

I thought paper 1 was really good, our topic on the League of Nations was like a gift. :biggrin:

The paper 2 was pretty good too, I did the questions on WW2 causes (which was good) and the use of force in a totalitarian state (which I thought would be brilliant but turned out..average)

I'm aiming for a 7, but I'll probably get a 6, due to my lack of confidence in the second question and hopefully paper 3 will save me.

I'm from TZ2, btw.
Reply 7
As I wrote 2 pages for my cold war essay, I hope I get a strong 4. xD
Reply 8
i think i am from TZ0

paper 1 on membership of LoN was good, i am only upset because i studied so much for paper 1 and then i saw these questions...

for paper 2 i did the question on stalin, it was truly a gift, i put almost all the facts and strategies he used, and i even had the time to add 3 kinds of historians' opinions to argue about his style of ruling and coming to power in relation to Leninism and circumstances. a secure 17 marks i think would be achievable

whereas the question on Germany in the first question of cold war, i thought it was good until i noticed the word "treatment" which freaked me out and left me little time to do any historiography. if i got anywhere near 14 marks, i will be surprised

overall, i was too confident and ignored the balance of time. paper 1 and 2 are both doable for all my classmates and for now i just hope that i will end up with a 6
Reply 9
Original post by sweatypig
i think i am from TZ0

paper 1 on membership of LoN was good, i am only upset because i studied so much for paper 1 and then i saw these questions...

for paper 2 i did the question on stalin, it was truly a gift, i put almost all the facts and strategies he used, and i even had the time to add 3 kinds of historians' opinions to argue about his style of ruling and coming to power in relation to Leninism and circumstances. a secure 17 marks i think would be achievable

whereas the question on Germany in the first question of cold war, i thought it was good until i noticed the word "treatment" which freaked me out and left me little time to do any historiography. if i got anywhere near 14 marks, i will be surprised

overall, i was too confident and ignored the balance of time. paper 1 and 2 are both doable for all my classmates and for now i just hope that i will end up with a 6

17? wow you're aiming high :O
I have never gotten higher than 15 :[
Reply 10
how important is historiography for paper 2 do you think? because i had very little :frown: thought it was good otherwise.
Original post by Yaaaaah
how important is historiography for paper 2 do you think? because i had very little :frown: thought it was good otherwise.

don't worry, I wrote my mocks paper 2 and 3 without using a single historian..!
and I got a 7 :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
I thought paper 1 was really nice. We had the May 2011 paper in our mocks and it was about the London Naval Conference which I hadn't even heard about!

As for paper 2 well I did the Stalin question, thought that was niceish but I didn't have time to add in a paragraph about luck but oh well. But as for the Cold War essay, I did the one on Gorbachev: Assess the role of Gorbachev in the end of the cold war. That essay was a joke, had no structure and it was basically just an appreciation of Gorby!!! I just have to ace paper 3 now.
Original post by sweatypig

I did that germany one! The 'treatment' part was a little confusing, as I had to separate out 'treatment' conflict and other conflict like the Berlin Blockade. The other questions all looked a bit :s-smilie: though, so that one definitely seemed like the easiest!

Original post by Yaaaaah

It is consistently emphasised to us that you do not need historiography to get a 7 in paper 2 (although it is the cherry on the sundae :smile: )

Original post by seventyfourable

But as for the Cold War essay, I did the one on Gorbachev: Assess the role of Gorbachev in the end of the cold war. That essay was a joke, had no structure and it was basically just an appreciation of Gorby!!! I just have to ace paper 3 now.

I thought my essays were ok, but very jumbled and rambly, as you just don't get time to think and to focus it!

Did anyone else get China (power struggle after Mao's death) for paper 1?

And did anyone else do 13. (rise to power) and 25. (origins of the cold war) ?
Reply 14
Original post by beautiful-lion
I did that germany one! The 'treatment' part was a little confusing, as I had to separate out 'treatment' conflict and other conflict like the Berlin Blockade. The other questions all looked a bit :s-smilie: though, so that one definitely seemed like the easiest!

It is consistently emphasised to us that you do not need historiography to get a 7 in paper 2 (although it is the cherry on the sundae :smile: )

I thought my essays were ok, but very jumbled and rambly, as you just don't get time to think and to focus it!

Did anyone else get China (power struggle after Mao's death) for paper 1?

And did anyone else do 13. (rise to power) and 25. (origins of the cold war) ?

I did q13, talked about the rise to power of Mao and Hitler. (The question asked for two dictators, at least in TZ2) The question was quite good since obviously internal conflict and weak governments did play an important role in the rise to power of Hitler and Mao but you could easily mention other important factors the question ignores such as treaties and economic problems (for hitler) and long term problems (such as China's decline in power and economic problems) for Mao.

Did anyone else do question 6 on assessing the importance of treaties, economic problems and ideology in causing the First or Second World War?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by seventyfourable
I thought paper 1 was really nice. We had the May 2011 paper in our mocks and it was about the London Naval Conference which I hadn't even heard about!

As for paper 2 well I did the Stalin question, thought that was niceish but I didn't have time to add in a paragraph about luck but oh well. But as for the Cold War essay, I did the one on Gorbachev: Assess the role of Gorbachev in the end of the cold war. That essay was a joke, had no structure and it was basically just an appreciation of Gorby!!! I just have to ace paper 3 now.

omg when i saw P1 I was pretty disappointed. after hearing how difficult last years p1 was on the London conference, i went and studied all the disarmament conferences and loads of other things that could have been on there. totally over prepared :frown:
Original post by Yaaaaah
omg when i saw P1 I was pretty disappointed. after hearing how difficult last years p1 was on the London conference, i went and studied all the disarmament conferences and loads of other things that could have been on there. totally over prepared :frown:

oh thats such a shame but if you do HL, some of the Paper 1 stuff can be used for Paper 3 so it isn't all bad
Original post by Heeck
I did q13, talked about the rise to power of Mao and Hitler. (The question asked for two dictators, at least in TZ2) The question was quite good since obviously internal conflict and weak governments did play an important role in the rise to power of Hitler and Mao but you could easily mention other important factors the question ignores such as treaties and economic problems (for hitler) and long term problems (such as China's decline in power and economic problems) for Mao.

Did anyone else do question 6 on assessing the importance of treaties, economic problems and ideology in causing the First or Second World War?

I did Mao and Hitler as well for q. 13 - it WAS a nice question (and none of the others looked nice!). And yeah, I came to the conclusion that they were important factors, but only in conjunction with the historical context and conditions and short term economic crises!
Reply 18
Original post by Heeck

Yeah I did that question, i think the wording of it freaked a lot of people out but in reality you could relate most of the courses to treaties, economics or ideologies :smile:

Did you do WW1 or WW2 for it?
Reply 19
Original post by Tom22993
Yeah I did that question, i think the wording of it freaked a lot of people out but in reality you could relate most of the courses to treaties, economics or ideologies :smile:

Did you do WW1 or WW2 for it?

I did ww2 since those three factors are pretty much the main causes of ww2 but I did also mention some slightly less important factors such as appeasement, US isolation and etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending