The Student Room Group

French AQA AS level - 25th May

Scroll to see replies

Original post by :)ella
So worried about the essay!

Our teachers said that we should try and do about 6 points for each side and only develop a couple, but everyone on here seems to be saying that 3 for each side is plenty, now I'm really confused!

No idea how to revise either :frown:

My teacher says you need to write a lot of content - as content marks are the most
But people are saying only 2 or 3 detailed points ... hmmm

But I guess if you write in good standard French, and stick to the question you will do great!
Reply 81
Original post by laura111294
Does anyone know when tourism came up last as a writing?

Tourism came up in January 2010.
I'm looking through Les vacances and le sport because one of them is bound to come up!
Reply 82
Original post by Future Medics
My teacher says you need to write a lot of content - as content marks are the most
But people are saying only 2 or 3 detailed points ... hmmm

But I guess if you write in good standard French, and stick to the question you will do great!

I'd say 6 detailed points in total is enough (aim for about 300 words on-topic), remember the examiners really expect every point to be developed. A well structured, detailed and developed essay with less points > a wide ranging essay..

Don't forget the topic-specific vocab!
Reply 83
Here's some exemplar essays and examiner's report on what was good / bad about them. Student E has the highest marks.

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2650-W-TRB-CEXWU1W-AUT11.PDF
Reply 84
Original post by Future Medics
I want sport also!!! - My fav aswell, and it hasn't come in French for a long time!
I wouldn't mind tele, modern tech and holidays
I don't think advertising / healthy living will come up as thats always there and it was there in Jan 2012 also !
ahhhh - Not really tooooo keen on popular culture / family :/ ahhh a good essay title please AQA!

I hate advertising, popular culture and family. Knowing my luck that's exactly what's gonna come up!
I want something on smoking/binge drinking/stress, unfortunately it's looking quite unlikely :frown:
do you know if when it says write a letter or email we actually ahve to write it in that style?
Original post by LaurenD
I hate advertising, popular culture and family. Knowing my luck that's exactly what's gonna come up!
I want something on smoking/binge drinking/stress, unfortunately it's looking quite unlikely :frown:

It would be very unlikely for drugs/smoking/stress because it comes up all the time!
I think they will have to change to sport / holidays!!
Oh I didn't realise there was another thread for this. Well, I hope that Sports/Holidays come up because I've prepared for those a lot!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by tooambitious
do you know if when it says write a letter or email we actually ahve to write it in that style?

yeah you do, you can lose content marks if you don't write it like the question asks
Reply 89
Which essay topic do you think is going to come up??
Reply 90
Original post by lellylelly
Which essay topic do you think is going to come up??

sports or holidays I think.. one of them.

maybe the internet.
I really want sport, music or holidays to come up. Music was my speaking so that would be a bloody lifesaver.
I normally do dead well on the listening and reading then bomb those ten marks for the grammar (we did one in lesson the other day and I got ONE :eek:) and I hate essays without my notes.
Reply 92
advertising wont come up because it came up in the january 2012 exam:smile: and so did family arguments..
i really want stress to come up! or about smoking/alcohol.
i really hate 'explain the importance of..' questions too! :frown:
I'm thinking popular culture won't appear at all - it's come up twice in a row. If it does though, I'm still not going to choose it as a topic lol, I can never think of enough points
Reply 94
My teacher's just emailed me: she thinks sports is very likely as it could talk about the Olympics?!
Reply 95
Original post by LaurenD
My teacher's just emailed me: she thinks sports is very likely as it could talk about the Olympics?!

thats very true x
Reply 96
Original post by LaurenD

My best topic I reckon! I have some great phrases for that =]
Reply 97
Original post by Blob2491
My best topic I reckon! I have some great phrases for that =]

What are your phrases?
Is the subjunctive absoubtly neccessary for the essay as we havn't done a huge amount on it.
Original post by pink pineapple
Is the subjunctive absoubtly neccessary for the essay as we havn't done a huge amount on it.

Nah. A lot of my essays didn't have the subjunctive and they were all (or almost) A's. If you can use it in a situation where it makes sense, then go ahead because it can only help. One example should suffice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending