C1 MEI Wednesday 16th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
any idea what marks /72 will be 90ums?
Original post by LosMutos
dude (2K)^2 is 4K^2 though :smile:

Dangit!
Ok, reality check.

Lost 1 mark on 3i lost probably 2 for that on 7 lost one for not putting the x co-ordinate on 11(iii) and lost one for missing out one solution on 12ii

then maybe one more for a silly mistake somewhere

66/72 or 67/72, still 92/93 ums probably
Original post by thegreenchildren
Do you mean definitely correct answers?

also what did everyone get for the proof one? about odd numbers and what did you say about 'n'? I said that it has to be a multiple of 3 and a factor of 9 (but the last one is just a guess).

Think they were looking for just the multiple of 3 bit, as it's given that it's a factor of 9 and greater than 9 in the question ;P
Original post by posting
any idea what marks /72 will be 90ums?

64-66?
Reply 384
Original post by Alexdaman93
Has to be a multiple of 3, not 1.5. I nearly put 1.5 but decided to stick with 3 - 4.5 is a multiple of 1.5
+ 9 gives 13.5 which isn't a multiple of 9.

But if we have 6n, and if n is 4.5, we obtain 27, then adding that to 9 gives 36 which is divisible by 9. All mulitples of 1.5 multiply by 6 to give a multiple of 9:
1.5x6=9
4.5x6=27
7.5x6=45
Thus every alternating value of n is a multiple of 3 whereas ALL values of n are multiples of 1.5.
I'm pretty sure that's correct? Confusing times!
Reply 385
Original post by Harry.Messenger
Dangit!
Ok, reality check.

Lost 1 mark on 3i lost probably 2 for that on 7 lost one for not putting the x co-ordinate on 11(iii) and lost one for missing out one solution on 12ii

then maybe one more for a silly mistake somewhere

66/72 or 67/72, still 92/93 ums probably

LOL im hoping for 65+ ums aswell. But make such careless mistakes.
Especially on question 3. I left it as 30root6 :frown:
Original post by Alexdaman93
Has to be a multiple of 3, not 1.5. I nearly put 1.5 but decided to stick with 3 - 4.5 is a multiple of 1.5
+ 9 gives 13.5 which isn't a multiple of 9.

You're wrong (even though, yes, 3 is a multiple of 1.5, but I don't think you'll get the marks for that). The answer IS, "it's a multiple of 3/2" because it has to be a multiple of 3 if it's a multiple of 9, you won't get marks for something so obvious, but look:

6n + 9 is divisible by 9, so cancel the 9:
6n HAS to be divisible by 9, so n is a multiple of 9/6 (3/2 = 1.5).
Original post by jonny7bell
i got something like B=-95.5 and C=167 or something like that. I put it into the equation and then put in f(2) during the exam and it worked so i think its right

i got that too!
Reply 388
Original post by LosMutos
pretty sure it said "when n is an integer"

The exact wording was:
"Given also that (n+3)^2-n^2 is divisible by 9, what can you say about n?"
Reply 389
Original post by spatulagirl
i got that too!

I got B=-4 and C=-8 !
Original post by jordan95
The exact wording was:
"Given also that (n+3)^2-n^2 is divisible by 9, what can you say about n?"

I put 9/6, but he's right.

It says, "assuming n is an integer"; check the page before for the exact question.
Reply 391
Original post by IChooseThisName
I put 9/6, but he's right.

It says, "assuming n is an integer"; check the page before for the exact question.

Ah, I see....
Does anyone know the grade boundaries please? My teacher said its 49/72 for a B and 55/72 for an A? x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Ah, I see....

I swear it's stupid if the answer is 'it's divisible by 3".

Also, are we wrong? All multiples of 3 are multiples of 9/6, so it's actually right. :colone:
I got B=-4 and C=-8 !

Same!

I swear it's stupid if the answer is 'it's divisible by 3".

Also, are we wrong? All multiples of 3 are multiples of 9/6, so it's actually right. :colone:

I put that n must be a multiple of 3! Hoping that's right!

Original post by accountant24
Does anyone know the grade boundaries please? My teacher said its 49/72 for a B and 55/72 for an A? x

How does your teacher know this already? Is it a prediction?
Original post by thegreenchildren
How does your teacher know this already? Is it a prediction?

Prediction, obviously.

You think they'd manage to mark all the thousands of scripts in seven hours to standardise the UMS marks?
You're wrong (even though, yes, 3 is a multiple of 1.5, but I don't think you'll get the marks for that). The answer IS, "it's a multiple of 3/2" because it has to be a multiple of 3 if it's a multiple of 9, you won't get marks for something so obvious, but look:

6n + 9 is divisible by 9, so cancel the 9:
6n HAS to be divisible by 9, so n is a multiple of 9/6 (3/2 = 1.5).

n may well be a 'multiple' of 1.5, but then it is also a multiple of 0.75, 0.5, etc!!!

When talking about multiples, it needs to be the smallest integer, so 3 is the correct answer.
Original post by bluekipper
n may well be a 'multiple' of 1.5, but then it is also a multiple of 0.75, 0.5, etc!!!

When talking about multiples, it needs to be the smallest integer, so 3 is the correct answer.

If you read the page before, it was only then established that it actually has to be an integer, so the lowest multiple is indeed 3.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending