The Student Room Group

AQA AS Biology Unit 1 Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
i also talked about aneurysm will i get credit for it
Reply 181
for the peptides not being able to pass through the plasma memebrane... i think in the passage it said that peptides were made of a few amino acids (i.e. bigger than dipeptides)
Reply 182
Original post by Charlotte49
I disagree, I've always been taught that smoking and diet are very different things. I personally think that the question was heading towards you talking about specifically diet and atheromas.

I wrote that diet with lots of cholesterol and LDL's can lead to atheroma which is a deposit of these in the endothelium, blood clots, these can travel to the heart and block or semi-block coronary arteries, can lead to myocardial infarction, heart muscle deprived of oxygen and glucose so the muscle can die.

Well, if smoking is a lifestyle choice which is quite like drinking alcohol, so if alcohol can be a dietary choice then smoking can also be a dietary choice, if it does not categorize under that category then what is it classed as? :rolleyes:
Reply 183
Honestly, it felt as if I was racing for time, one minute he test had begun, the next I heard the teacher say 'put down ur pens and pencils, the test is now over', I was like 'wot?'
Original post by LegendX
Well, if smoking is a lifestyle choice which is quite like drinking alcohol, so if alcohol can be a dietary choice then smoking can also be a dietary choice, if it does not categorize under that category then what is it classed as? :rolleyes:

Yes, but have you ever tried eating/drinking cigarettes? Or inhaling a burger?
Smoking isn't diet. If the question wanted smoking, it would have said 'how does smoking affect the risk of CHD' or 'how do lifestyle choices affect risk of CHD?'. Diet in this sense refers to the food that people choose to eat.
Original post by The Assassin
Hey everyone. Hope you did well on your tests.

As I haven't seen one being made, I've made a start to one and will add more answers when more people contribute to it. This is obviously unofficial, so the real mark scheme could be pretty different. a ; denotes a different point for each mark.

1)

a) Golgi Appartus (1 mark)

b) Nucleus or Nuclear envelope or Nucleolus; lysomomes; Mitochondria;ER
(2 points for 2 marks)

c) What's the function of the mitochondria?
Produce ATP (for energy)

d) Resolution is highest/greatest; due to shorter wavelength of electrons; can see detailed structures; amoeba are thin so TEM works (2 marks)

2)

Describe investigation A
a) 2 drinks decrease the risk of heart disease; then increase it (as you drink more) (2 marks)
b) Why does the 40-50 age group improve the investigation? Increases reliability because alcohol affects different age groups in different ways (metabolism, etc). (1 mark)
c) Evaluate the claim 'Alcohol is good for you' (3 marks)

Yes - in low consumption;
No - correlation does not mean causation;
may be another factor involved;
drinking more than 2/3 increases the risk of heart disease;
didn't specify what alcohols were so can't be sure on the quantity;

3) a) Describe what causes the diaphragm to change shape
(lungs changed shape) diaphragm contracts and flattens;

b) During these two phases, air moves into the lungs. Describe how the diaphragm allows this. (3 marks)
Diaphagm causes inspiration by contracting;
reducing pressure in the lungs;
air pressure outside greater causing it to flow into the lungs;

c) Diffusion through concentration graident; (2 marks)
through thin endothelium of alveoli;
then through thin endothelium of capillary wall;

4) a) What is a pathogen? A micro-organism that causes disease. (1 mark)
b) Phagocytes may destroy bacteria. Explain how. (4 marks)

Phagocytes attracted by chemicals/recognise the antigens;
Engulf/ingest bacteria;
Remain in vacuole/vesicles/phagosome;
Lyosomoes release (hydrolytic) enzymes/fused with vacuoles;
Pathogen digested/hydrolysed/broken down;

c) Why does the antibody only target the specific antigen? (2? marks)
Specific primary structure/amino acid sequence;
Specific tertiary structure;
Determines binding sites;
Complementary to specific antigens;

5) (Cyanide)

a) Describe what the graph shows. Slows it down up to (a certain point); then, sodium uptake is halted completely; (2 marks)
b) 0.2. The y-axis said concentration remaining, so you had to do 10 - 4 which is 6. Then divide that by 30 to get 0.2
c) Cyanide affects respiration. How did the cyanide affect the sodium uptake? (Controversial too - I looked it up on Wikipedia and apparently it binds to cytochrome c in the mitochondria) (2? marks)

Acts as a competitive inhibitor;
Prevents mitochondria producing ATP for energy;
Energy needed in active transport/sodium-potassium pump/co-transport;
To remove sodium and maintain low concentration;

6) Starch/amylase question
a) Describe the test for reducing sugars (3 marks)
Heat;
with Benedicts reagent/solution;
Brick red precipitate will form;

b) Why did solution B contain more than Solution A? Quite controversial. (3 marks)
enzyme breaks down starch into amylose;
reducing water potential in tube;
water moves in via osmosis;

c) The student said that a pH of 8 was the optimum temperature. Is this right? (1 mark)

Didn't test intermediate values (2-8);
Didn't test values above 8;

7) a) Hydrolysis (1 mark)
b) Proteins too large; carrier proteins are specific; carrier proteins may be damaged;
The proteins in membrane are selective; The conc of amino acids in cell is greater than conc of amino acids outside cell; facilitated diffusio involves that involves movement of
large molecules DOWN a conc gradient. Hence why the dipeptide cannot diffuse through. (3 marks)
c) Villi become damaged; reduced surface area; less diffusion;
membrane bound enzymes; reduced breakdown of proteins; less absorption (Once only for less absorption) (3 marks)

d) Why does the gluten stimulate an immune response? (Some lines from the text) + sees it as non-self (1 mark)

e) Factors to consider: Body mass; Side effects; Age; Gender; (2 marks)

8) a) How does the heart co-ordinate contraction of the atria and ventricles? (5 marks)

SAN sends out electrical activity/wave of impulses;
Stimulates contraction of atria/initiates heart beat/acts as pacemaker;
AVN delays (electrical impulses);
Allowing atria to fill before ventricles contract/ventricles to fill before
contract;
AVN sends of wave of electrical activity down Bundle of His/Purkyne fibres;
Causing ventricles to contract (from base up) / ventricular systole;

b) How does a diet increase the risk of heart disease? (5 marks)

High consumption of fat/cholestrol accumulate in artery wall/ under lining / endothelium of artery;
Atheroma;
Can cause blood clots/thrombus
May break off;
and get lodged in the coronary artery;
Reduces blood supply;
(so) reduces oxygen supply;
Heart muscle can't respire without oxygen and so dies;
Salt/ions;
can causes high blood pressures;

Why the neg?

if for second from last 5marker question 8a i mixed AV and SA node round but put all of the detail needed for the 5 marks in correct order would i get no marks?
:frown:
Reply 186
Yes, but have you ever tried eating/drinking cigarettes? Or inhaling a burger?
Smoking isn't diet. If the question wanted smoking, it would have said 'how does smoking affect the risk of CHD' or 'how do lifestyle choices affect risk of CHD?'. Diet in this sense refers to the food that people choose to eat.

Meh I just added that as an extra after saying an increased amount of cholesterol consumptions effects, but I'll fight for the people who did put that down.
Think of it, you aren't eating a cigarette BUT you are consuming nicotine and as for your last reference point, this is a level they wouldnt be sooo clear to say a question in the, terms, there has to be some ambiguity.
Reply 187
Original post by Pezza 2016
if for second from last 5marker question 8a i mixed AV and SA node round but put all of the detail needed for the 5 marks in correct order would i get no marks?

Nah, you'd prob get ECF, you'd lose 1-2 marks maximum frm my guessing.

As I haven't seen one being made, I've made a start to one and will add more answers when more people contribute to it. This is obviously unofficial, so the real mark scheme could be pretty different. a ; denotes a different point for each mark.

1)

(2 points for 2 marks)

Produce ATP (for energy)

d) Resolution is highest/greatest; due to shorter wavelength of electrons; can see detailed structures; amoeba are thin so TEM works (2 marks)

2)

Describe investigation A
a) 2 drinks decrease the risk of heart disease; then increase it (as you drink more) (2 marks)
b) Why does the 40-50 age group improve the investigation? Increases reliability because alcohol affects different age groups in different ways (metabolism, etc). (1 mark)

b) During these two phases, air moves into the lungs. Describe how the diaphragm allows this. (3 marks)

Engulf/ingest bacteria;

5) (Cyanide)

a) Describe what the graph shows. Slows it down up to (a certain point); then, sodium uptake is halted completely; (2 marks)
b) 0.2. The y-axis said concentration remaining, so you had to do 10 - 4 which is 6. Then divide that by 30 to get 0.2
c) Cyanide affects respiration. How did the cyanide affect the sodium uptake? (Controversial too - I looked it up on Wikipedia and apparently it binds to cytochrome c in the mitochondria) (2? marks)

Heat;

b) Why did solution B contain more than Solution A? Quite controversial. (3 marks)

c) The student said that a pH of 8 was the optimum temperature. Is this right? (1 mark)

b) Proteins too large; carrier proteins are specific; carrier proteins may be damaged;
The proteins in membrane are selective; The conc of amino acids in cell is greater than conc of amino acids outside cell; facilitated diffusio involves that involves movement of
large molecules DOWN a conc gradient. Hence why the dipeptide cannot diffuse through. (3 marks)
membrane bound enzymes; reduced breakdown of proteins; less absorption (Once only for less absorption) (3 marks)

d) Why does the gluten stimulate an immune response? (Some lines from the text) + sees it as non-self (1 mark)

8) a) How does the heart co-ordinate contraction of the atria and ventricles? (5 marks)

contract;

High consumption of fat/cholestrol accumulate in artery wall/ under lining / endothelium of artery;
Atheroma;
May break off;
Reduces blood supply;
Salt/ions;

Why the neg?

membrane bounded organelle for eukaroytes ?

1)

(2 points for 2 marks)

Produce ATP (for energy)

2)

Describe investigation A

Engulf/ingest bacteria;

5) (Cyanide)

Heat;

contract;

Atheroma;
May break off;
Reduces blood supply;
Salt/ions;

Why the neg?

WOW, amazing!! - HOW DID YOU REMEMBER ALL THAT? I think i got 43/60 going by this ^. is that a C or a B grade do you think?
Original post by LegendX
Nah, you'd prob get ECF, you'd lose 1-2 marks maximum frm my guessing.

but if u mix them around it makes all the other mark points look wrong like impulses come from av node down bundle of his make ventricle contract if i said sa node did that and for the stuff sa does i said av done it would that make it all wrong??
Reply 191
Original post by Pezza 2016

I think I did this too however I mentioned LDLs and atheroma and how that leads to heart problems in quite a lot of detail. Talking about salt and high blood pressure and stuff will most likely allow you to pick up some of the marks too. They are not dependant on each other so even if you write the whole question wrong then a little bit right, at the end you should still get marks. :smile:
Original post by LegendX
Meh I just added that as an extra after saying an increased amount of cholesterol consumptions effects, but I'll fight for the people who did put that down.
Think of it, you aren't eating a cigarette BUT you are consuming nicotine and as for your last reference point, this is a level they wouldnt be sooo clear to say a question in the, terms, there has to be some ambiguity.

The ambiguity comes in the student having to realise that the question is asking about cholesterol and atheroma and not just diet in general. If the question was going to be straightforward, it would ask 'how does increased cholesterol increase risk of CHD?'.

I think maybe you need to look in a dictionary, diet is specifically defined as food. Cigarettes are not food, they have no nutritional value. It's completely beyond me how you think you can 'fight' that cigarettes are food. Diet was the named factor in this question so writing about anything else won't gain marks.
Reply 193
also for the question on why ph8 is bettter then ph2 or something.... i wrote ph8 is more neutral than ph2 , it is alkaline , but closer to the optimum rate which is ph7. ph2 is too acidic?

something like that i wrote... is that wrong??
Reply 194
Original post by ejcdylstar
WOW, amazing!! - HOW DID YOU REMEMBER ALL THAT? I think i got 43/60 going by this ^. is that a C or a B grade do you think?

43 was a B in jan paper. i think this paper will be a bit higher grade boundaries so i think u are on a high C. but if ur lucky u got a B.
i got 56/60 looking at this mark scheme for silly mistakes. shouldve gone for full marks:rolleyes:

hoping 55 or 56 is 100% tho lol
Original post by ejcdylstar

That could be an A, depending on the grade boundaries. The A boundary has been lower before:
http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-A-LEVEL-GDE-BOUND-JAN11.PDF
http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-A-LEVEL-AND-AS-NEW-GDE-BOUND-JAN10.PDF
http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCE-NEW-GDE-BOUND-JUN09.PDF
http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCE-NEW-GDE-BOUND-JAN09.PDF

Although it depends on how everyone has done on it. It's hard to tell whether people found the paper easy or not.
Reply 196
grade boundaries june are usually higher than papers in Jan
Reply 197
Original post by alhasan
grade boundaries june are usually higher than papers in Jan

I think it will be the same if not lower due to the fact they included two how science works questions. The questions weren't as self explanatory as usual either.
Reply 198
Original post by LegendX

logical fallacy
Reply 199
The ambiguity comes in the student having to realise that the question is asking about cholesterol and atheroma and not just diet in general. If the question was going to be straightforward, it would ask 'how does increased cholesterol increase risk of CHD?'.

I think maybe you need to look in a dictionary, diet is specifically defined as food. Cigarettes are not food, they have no nutritional value. It's completely beyond me how you think you can 'fight' that cigarettes are food. Diet was the named factor in this question so writing about anything else won't gain marks.

We'll see in August or so?:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending