The Student Room Group

Choosing MSc/MA Marketing

Hi,

I would be an international student (non EU) in the year 2012-13 holding a BSc in Digital Media and have one year of work experience in advertising production companies. I have received offers from four different universities in the UK and am having a hard time choosing one. Those are:

Durham - Marketing Management
Aston - Marketing Management
Leeds - Advertising and Marketing
Birmingham - International Marketing

This is research I've done so far:
1. Durham has the highest overall ranking for the school, but is situated at the northern part of England which is pretty far from London. I do not know if I should take this into consideration, but am kind of worried that the school might have some disadvantages since it's in a small city and the proximity to London isn't good.
2. Aston has a great reputation for its business school, but its overall ranking isn't that high. Plus, Aston has the highest tuition fee compared to the others.
3. I like Leeds' course modules, because its program seems to be more focused into marketing communications. Ad, PR and Corp Communications, Relationship and DM, SP and Sponsorship are taught as seperate courses, whereas the other schools only offer a single course, marketing communications. However, I'm worried if this degree might narrow opportunities when getting a job since its program title is "Advertising and Marketing."
4. Birmingham's reputation and ranking are not bad, but not overwhelming compared to the others.

I wish to work in the UK after the program, and am aware of that finding a job in the UK as a non EU citizen is pretty tough. However, if possible, I'd like to know which school would be the best choice. At the same time, I cannnot ignore how these schools are seen outside the UK since there's a high chance of me returning home or going to the third countries afterwards.

Any advice would be much appreciated, and many thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Anyone? :s-smilie:
Reply 2
I have to give an answer to Aston by next Monday. Any advise???
Hello,

I just came across your post about choosing an Ma/Msc in Marketing. I know how hard that choice can be, but I was wondering if you had considered the Msc in Strategic Marketing at Cranfield University? I am student there and I can tell you the programme is really good. There are students from all over the world in our course, with varied academic and professional backgrounds. The professors are extremely knowledgeable and experts in their field. We have a lot of of practical work, not just theory based modules. Cranfield has a very good reputation in the UK and worldwide. They are still accepting applications so maybe have a look at the link here, and let me know if you have any other questions! Good luck!

http://www.som.cranfield.ac.uk/som/p634/Programmes-and-Executive-Development/MSc/Full-time-MSc-in-Strategic-Marketing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending