The Student Room Group

Can an MA lead to a PhD or would only a MSc do that?

Question is as it is in the title.

Do you have to do a MSc to do a PhD? I'm interested in studying Sociology. Not 100% sure whether I will do a PhD but just in case.

Is a MA less attractive than an MSc for future sponsorship for a PhD?
Original post by Craig_93
Question is as it is in the title.

Do you have to do a MSc to do a PhD? I'm interested in studying Sociology. Not 100% sure whether I will do a PhD but just in case.

Is a MA less attractive than an MSc for future sponsorship for a PhD?

If it's in a relevant subject then yes, of course.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
If it's in a relevant subject then yes, of course.

Thank you.

To be honest I struggle to see what exactly is the difference?

Because I did BSc Sociology and was told that BSc and MSc's are superior to BA's as BA's are supposedly more arty and less scientific. It even says this online.

But having a look at courses you can choose either MSc or BSc and do either quantitative or qualitative research depending on your choice - so the label does't seem to indicate anything?
Original post by Craig_93
Thank you.

To be honest I struggle to see what exactly is the difference?

Because I did BSc Sociology and was told that BSc and MSc's are superior to BA's as BA's are supposedly more arty and less scientific. It even says this online.

But having a look at courses you can choose either MSc or BSc and do either quantitative or qualitative research depending on your choice - so the label does't seem to indicate anything?

BSc/MSc's can have more "scientific" contents - some unis offer both varieties in eg Economics. But most of the time it's just a label.

And if you want to do more of a qualitative PhD then what advantage is a quantitative BSc/MSc?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending