The Student Room Group

AS OCR chemistry B (SALTERS) F331 on the 15th may 2012

Scroll to see replies

Were the 2 functional groups alkene and alcohol?
Reply 121
Original post by dekg140
Damnit I made a stupid mistake, what did you guys put for the sulfurhexafluoride shape and bond angle? i put octahedral and 90 degrees but realise now it should have been 180 degrees as it said bond angle between F-S-F

OMG... cuz i put octahedral too.. i thought its right :/ ??
Reply 122
well it was alright i spose, i stupidly did the full structural formula instead of the skeletal when we had to draw the isomers :frown: so that's 2 marks gone, and i didnt get that question about the m/z 181 peak thing, i jst wrote some rubbish for that. hopefully scraped an A but maybe a B more realistically
Original post by dekg140
Damnit I made a stupid mistake, what did you guys put for the sulfurhexafluoride shape and bond angle? i put octahedral and 90 degrees but realise now it should have been 180 degrees as it said bond angle between F-S-F

Everyone who came out put 90 degrees. But i saw the f-s-f But that meant it was asking us to two things right?
Original post by dekg140

i put octahedral and 109 because SF6 is octahedral but F-S-F has so lone pairs and 2 bonding paris...
Reply 125
Original post by megank
OMG... cuz i put octahedral too.. i thought its right :/ ??

Nooooo i put octahedral too :frown:
Reply 126
Original post by Reina
Yay! Me too! :biggrin:

Though I think I wrote down COH3....for some silly reason :/

Hopefully it won't matter :P

I did the same I don't think it'll matter though because its still the same ratio.
Reply 127
what did everyone draw for methylbutane??
Reply 128
octahedral is correct, just not 90 degrees i think :/
Reply 129
Original post by AGrumpyMole
i put octahedral and 109 because SF6 is octahedral but F-S-F has so lone pairs and 2 bonding paris...

ouch... thats a good point :/
Surely it is 90 degrees, F-S-F could be F to S to any F which could be 90 or 180. Other than that (and the states As+Ga question) pretty good exam in my opinion.
Reply 131
Original post by megank
Yes!! :smile: hoping i can get a high A in here so i wont need as many marks in the paper next wednesday to get an overall A :tongue:

Same, F332 is so much harder than F331 in my opinion
Original post by megank
ouch... thats a good point :/

If his point is valid

1. Octehedral
3.repulsion
4.far as possible

Right?
Reply 133
Original post by AGrumpyMole

I think it was 109. It had two lone pairs but I put tetrahedral for the shape.
Reply 134
Original post by Richyp22
If his point is valid

1. Octehedral
3.repulsion
4.far as possible

Right?

yeah i think that should be right :/ but i wrote 90 degrees instead :frown: urgh stupid thing.. but i still wrote electrons repel to minimise electronic repulsion and octahedral so hopefully i still get some marks :/
Original post by pkg995
I think it was 109. It had two lone pairs but I put tetrahedral for the shape.

No no no no surely it was Octahedral, the sulphur atom had 6 electron dense areas. All the F-S-F was asking you was for one bond angle, which is 90 degrees. Stop looking into it so deeply! :tongue:

See below
Sulfur-hexafluoride-2D-dimensions.png
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 136
Original post by Salmonidae
No no no no surely it was Octahedral, the sulphur atom had 6 electron dense areas. All the F-S-F was asking you was for one bond angle, which is 90 degrees. Stop looking into it so deeply! :tongue:

Yeah thats what im hoping :smile: but that was a confusing question... :/
Reply 137
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfur_hexafluoride

It'd either be 90 or 180 degrees, no? Already lost quite abit of marks, super bummed :frown: What did anyone put for the catalyst letters one?
Reply 138
Original post by Richyp22
If his point is valid

1. Octehedral
3.repulsion
4.far as possible

Right?

If there are 6 F atoms around the S then surely it's 90?
Original post by Salmonidae

yeah but it has 2 lone pairs of electron and was surrounded by 4 areas of electron density (2 lone pairs and 2 bonding pairs of electrons) so the bond angle is 109.. or 105 if you're being really precise

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending