The Student Room Group

DE Q, different correct methods - different answers ?

dydx+2y=ex \displaystyle \dfrac{dy}{dx} +2y = e^x

Method of the integrating factor:

I=e2x \displaystyle I = e^{2x}

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle \Rightarrow e^{2x}\dfrac{dy}{dx} + 2ye^{2x} = e^{4x}[br][br]\Rightarrow \dfrac{d}{dx} (ye^{2x}) = e^4x[br]\[br]\Rightarrow y = \dfrac{e^{2x}}{4} + Ce^{-2x}

To the best of my knowledge there aren't any mistakes in there.

Now the complementary function - particular integral method:

Reduced equation:

\displaystyle \dfrac{dy}{dx} = -2y [br]\[br]y_c = Ce^{-2x}

Going back to the complete function now and finding a particular solution:

let

\displaystyle y = Ae^x [br]\[br] [br]\dfrac{dy}{dx} +2y = e^x \Rightarrow Ae^x + 2Ae^x = e^{2x} \Rightarrow A=\dfrac{1}{3}

Hence:

yp=ex3 \displaystyle y_p = \dfrac{e^x}{3}

The general solution: y=yc+ypy=Ce2x+ex3 \displaystyle y = y_c + y_p \Rightarrow y = Ce^{-2x} + \dfrac{e^x}{3}

I can't see where I have gone wrong on either so why is there a difference ? Are there two general solutions ?

Thnx
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by member910132

e2xdydx+2ye2x=e4x[br][br] \displaystyle \Rightarrow e^{2x}\dfrac{dy}{dx} + 2ye^{2x} = e^{4x}[br][br]

RHS of 2nd quoted line should be e3xe^{3x}

Not checked the rest.
On the Integrating Factor, shouldn't e^x * e^2x become e^3x by the laws of indicies?
dydx+2y=ex \displaystyle \dfrac{dy}{dx} +2y = e^x

Method of the integrating factor:

\displaystyle \Rightarrow e^{2x}\dfrac{dy}{dx} + 2ye^{2x} = e^{4x}[br][br]\Rightarrow \dfrac{d}{dx} (ye^{2x}) = e^4x[br]\[br]\Rightarrow y = \dfrac{e^{2x}}{4} + Ce^{-2x}

To the best of my knowledge there aren't any mistakes in there.

Thnx

Yeah you've made mistakes at the beginning with your powers. If you did it right you'd have gotten ye2x=e3xdxye^{2x} = \displaystyle \int e^{3x} dx which would've given you the same answer as your second method.
Reply 4
silly mistake is silly.
Reply 5
Original post by Ilyas
silly mistake is silly.

Yep, the worst part is I spent 10 mins latexing the thread out when all I had to do was look carefully.
Yep, the worst part is I spent 10 mins latexing the thread out when all I had to do was look carefully.

I've been there before but I usually type the whole thing out then after checking my latex is all correct I realise my mistake :P

Quick Reply

Latest