The Student Room Group

How do you past papers?

Hi, I’ve always struggled to exam type questions and don’t seem to understand how to answer them, in class we don’t go over them and are just expected to know how to answer these.

Do you guys have any tips and tricks for answering them and improving learning through them?
i’d say make bullet points on how you think u can best answer the q , and then find the mark scheme and tick off any bullet points you wrote that were correct- those are the ones you know best. then use the mark scheme to answer the question in full, and repeat until you can do qs without the markscheme!! hope this helps
Original post by Emma_?
Hi, I’ve always struggled to exam type questions and don’t seem to understand how to answer them, in class we don’t go over them and are just expected to know how to answer these.
Do you guys have any tips and tricks for answering them and improving learning through them?
Hiya!

First of all I would recommend speaking out and letting your teacher know how you are struggling - they will appreciate your honestly and should be happy to help in any way they can. Whether this is taking a mental note to remember to explain during class or encouraging you to see them outside of class when they are available. It is important to speak out because perhaps your teacher doesn't know you are struggling and maybe some of your classmates think the same.

In general, when I was studying my method was using past exam papers. Whether this was going through the papers and pre-paring answers or just going through the mark scheme to understand how to construct an answer and obtain full marks. Have a look online for some papers and see how you get on. I think as well tutorials are posted on YouTube - explaining methods or the thought process of completing the question (depending on what the subject is and the complexity)

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any further questions 🙂
-Maddie, second year Health and Well-being in Society student at De Montfort University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending