The Student Room Group

OCR MEI C2 MAY 18th

Scroll to see replies

Original post by steven hawking
Did i? i might of, tbh not sure.
We can find out if anyone can remember the coordinate of the tangent, anyone?

yeah i thought it was (1, something (-4 i think)),i could be wrong! so one of us got it the wrong way round :/
What did everyone get for the drawing curve question? I got x=0,+sqrt5 and -sqrt 5, y=0
Reply 182
Did anybody work out how to prove the last question on the paper, with Ratio's of

2^(n-2) : 3^(n-2)

I know that a=10, and a=15, and R= 0.4, and R=0.6, but I couldn't find a way of getting the ratio from the ak = ar^(k-1) formulae.

Otherwise, challenging but fun paper, I reckon I may have got 68/72, with a slip up on the log question of making y in terms of log x, which was a rookie error.
Original post by jonny7bell
What did everyone get for the drawing curve question? I got x=0,+sqrt5 and -sqrt 5, y=0

sounds like what i got
Actually i think you are wrong because if you sub -2 into the equation (the one that was given, the combined one)i think : x^3-5x +2=0
You dont get 0

ohhh, i think you're right :frown:
Upload the paper.
Original post by Chrisgame
Did anybody work out how to prove the last question on the paper, with Ratio's of

2^(n-2) : 3^(n-2)

I know that a=10, and a=15, and R= 0.4, and R=0.6, but I couldn't find a way of getting the ratio from the ak = ar^(k-1) formulae.

Otherwise, challenging but fun paper, I reckon I may have got 68/72, with a slip up on the log question of making y in terms of log x, which was a rookie error.

look back a few pages, the answer is there. (not explained by me though :[ )
Reply 187
Original post by arcus
I cant quite remember the exact values,
but it was like 6=a*r, so 6/a=r, substitute that back into the sum to infinity equation, ended up with like a^2-25a+150=0, factorise that to give (a-10)(a-15)

Slightly different to the method I used, I did it the way below:

I didnt actually show a=10 at the beginning i just went straight ahead to use simulataneous equations and find out the values, of both the r's and a's.

That's what stumped me, as I thought you couldn't just use it to prove it?

In the end I worked backwards.

I showed a = 6/r

So a/(1-r) = 25 (sum to infinity)

a = 25 - 25r

6/r = 25 - 25r

6 = 25r - 25r^2

25r^2 - 25r + 6 = 0

Quadratic formulae gave me both 0.6 and 0.4

Put them back into a = 6/r, giving both a values.

Surely that'll get the marks, though it's the other way around? Getting the a's from the r's.
Reply 188
For finding the point where the curve crosses the tangent question, did anyone get x=2
?
As you had to solve: x^3 -5x +2=0
Then use the fact that you know it touches at the point of tangent ( i think at x=-1)
So you know (x+1)^2 is a factor of the above equation, then solve to x-2=0

.. x=2 ?????

Ring any bells ?

Thought it was x^3-3x+2=0
Original post by JRW1995

that must be it! so i was right, i think, so it was x= -2 right?! and x=1 was repeated as it's a tangent.
Original post by JRW1995

yep you're right
Reply 191
Original post by lazershus
that must be it! so i was right, i think, so it was x= -2 right?! and x=1 was repeated as it's a tangent.

yeah, thats what i got
Reply 192

Yeah that's what I got.

Completely flopped this paper though, want an A And unless grade boundries are low I did NOT get that. Resit it is :frown:
what did people get for the trapezium rule question? i got 0.68m^2 and then for volume times by 50 so 34m^3?
Original post by JRW1995
Yeah that's what I got.

Completely flopped this paper though, want an A And unless grade boundries are low I did NOT get that. Resit it is :frown:

yeah i think thats what got because (x-1)(x+2)(x-1) is what it factored into so x=1,-2
Reply 195
ohhh, i think you're right :frown:

I think lazershus is right;

the cubic was y = x3 - 5x, the tangent was y = - 2x - 2

so x3 - 3x + 2 = 0

repeated root of (x - 1) as it is a tangent so;

(x - 1)(x - 1)(x + 2) = 0

so x = -2
Reply 196
For the first part of the integral question did you have to divide 50 by 1.2 and times by area?
Reply 197
Original post by chris_gloyne
what did people get for the trapezium rule question? i got 0.68m^2 and then for volume times by 50 so 34m^3?

Thought it is was 0.63m^2

1/2 x 0.2 x [ (0+0) + 2(0.5 + 0.7 + 0.75 + 0.7 + 0.5) ]

= 0.63..?
(edited 11 years ago)
Actually i think you are wrong because if you sub -2 into the equation (the one that was given, the combined one)i think : x^3-5x +2=0
You dont get 0

yeah but it wasnt x^3-5x +2=0 it was x^3-3 x +2=0 :smile:
Reply 199
Original post by ILM16
Thought it is was 0.63m^2

1/2 x 0.2 x [ (0+0) + 2(0.5 x 0.7 x 0.75 x 0.7 x 0.5) ]

= 0.63..?

Yes, how did you do the 50m thing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending