The Student Room Group

OCR B (Advancing Physics) G492, 25th May 2012 Afternoon

Scroll to see replies

...Single most hideous experience of my life. That paper made me cry.

Considering I got full UMS in January's paper... yeah... I can't even estimate how badly I might've done this time. I mean, in the end I did answer every question but I really don't think I did very well. That was so much harder than any of the past papers I've looked at. I might retake, unless the grade boundaries are extraordinarily low because I really need close to full UMS...

Anyway, that was hideous, in my opinion. Please say other people thought so too... :\
Reply 161
this is what I can remember:

1a) width of arm = 0.1
b) mass of human = 100

2a) Units question
b)
c)kg ms-2

3a) y=kx
b)y=kx2
c) y=k (square root)x

11 pushing piles into the ground
a) mgh = 2100 * 9.8 * 1.2 = 24.696 kJ
b) i cldnt work this one out!!!
c) average force = 40*1000/0.85 = 47000N
d)effect of mass on the force on the pile... i cant remember what i put but i think i got it wrong
12 Ammeters
a) Resolution Definition: The smallest change in measurement which will cause a change in reading on the measuring instrument
b)Digital Ammeter Resolution: 0.01A
Analogue Ammeter Resolution: 1A
c) zero error will cause all the values to be too low
d) move the needle so that it is exactly on 0
e) An ammeter has to have a low resistance when there is a large current because otherwise a lot of power will be dissipated as heat
13 Calculating Planck's constant:
14 Cavendish and the measurement of the earth's density
a)To make the wire stiffer it may have been thicker
b)5311 kgm-3

I will edit this post when i remember more...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 162
Original post by ashton.gibbs
I got 2.8 for x and 4.8 for y. But thinking about it maybe 4.8 shoulda been minus cos it moved down?:/ crap haha

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

t was the acceleration, the x component was decelerating and the y component was accelerating, or maybe it should have been negative, i dunno
Reply 163
Original post by Deceptively
...Single most hideous experience of my life. That paper made me cry.

Considering I got full UMS in January's paper... yeah... I can't even estimate how badly I might've done this time. I mean, in the end I did answer every question but I really don't think I did very well. That was so much harder than any of the past papers I've looked at. I might retake, unless the grade boundaries are extraordinarily low because I really need close to full UMS...

Anyway, that was hideous, in my opinion. Please say other people thought so too... :\

i agree
Original post by KoalaKim
t was the acceleration, the x component was decelerating and the y component was accelerating, or maybe it should have been negative, i dunno

Ahh you sound right actually, cos the x component got slower! Poo :tongue:

I thought that was a really nice paper. Section A and C were very simple, and section B wasn't too bad.

Definitely much much better than some of the past papers.

1a) width of arm = 0.1
b) mass of human = 100

2a) Units question
b)
c)kg ms-2

3a) y=kx
b)y=kx2
c) y=k (square root)x

12 Ammeters
a) Resolution Definition: The smallest change in measurement which will cause a change in reading on the measuring instrument
e) An ammeter has to have a low resistance when there is a large current because otherwise a lot of power will be dissipated as heat

Nice to see we got mostly the same:biggrin:

Reply 167
I didn't like that exam, too much theory stuff, very little mechanics, it was awful. I couldn't do the G.P.E, force question, where it said to consider G.P.E and work out work done, i did it the wrong way.
Reply 168

Both should have been negative (accelerated left, and down).

I think I got -1.8 (x) and -4.8 (y).
Original post by Joel R
Both should have been negative (accelerated left, and down).

I think I got -1.8 (x) and -4.8 (y).

Oh yeah good shout :frown: haha

Original post by Lucozad
I didn't like that exam, too much theory stuff, very little mechanics, it was awful. I couldn't do the G.P.E, force question, where it said to consider G.P.E and work out work done, i did it the wrong way.

Yeah I wanted more mechanics too!

Reply 171
Damn, I did the resolving questions last, and I have done it totally wrong, I got 5.8 for one of my values and 4.8 for the other one.
Reply 172
12 Ammeters

I think you had to add an explanation for b). Also, I put 0.5 A for the analogue, as I figured that would be a noticeable change. However, I think that may be wrong :smile:
Reply 173
I think I put 0.01 for the digital ammeter resolution, and then I put 2 for the analogue. :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 174
Original post by BenjaminKyle
2 and 1 for the resolution and the analogue are both acceptable answers

Explain?, because i though it was the smallest detectable change that can be measured.
Reply 175
I think, in all, the paper was tricky, but probably quite good at distinguishing between grade boundaries; a couple of questions contained fairly complex elements.
Reply 176

1a) width of arm = 0.1
b) mass of human = 100

2a) Units question
b)
c)kg ms-2

3a) y=kx
b)y=kx2
c) y=k (square root)x

11 pushing piles into the ground
a) mgh = 2100 * 9.8 * 1.2 = 2.4696 kJ
b) i cldnt work this one out!!!
c) average force = 40/0.85 = 47N
d)effect of mass on the force on the pile... i cant remember what i put but i think i got it wrong
12 Ammetersa) Resolution Definition: The smallest change in measurement which will cause a change in reading on the measuring instrument

Edited!!!!
Original post by LoneWalrus
I thought that was a really nice paper. Section A and C were very simple, and section B wasn't too bad.

Definitely much much better than some of the past papers.

Hehe...

Reply 178
Original post by ashton.gibbs
I remember the one about the car on the roundabout I got 2.8 and 4.8, but I completely guessed how to do it!! I hated section C :frown:

I got these numbers but minus because it was decellerating :smile:
Anyone know what kind of grade boundaries you think it'll be for A and B?

BTW PATHETIC PAPER!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending