The Student Room Group

Economics Unit 1, Competitive Markets. Friday 18th May 2012 Pm.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wa 007
urm i put 2 shifts as it said demand speculators increased, but you never know, btw do you know how many marks that PES question on cotton was?

It was for 10 marks :mad:
Original post by Wa 007
urm i put 2 shifts as it said demand speculators increased, but you never know, btw do you know how many marks that PES question on cotton was?

True, but you have to decide if the change of supply or demand will be greater but you could be right though. That question was 10 marks.
Original post by cesca42
Supported choice was pretty difficult. I think I got the answers right, but probably going to lose marks in explaining, especially because for a few of them I found it pretty hard to define something.

I then did question 9 because literally the last homework we did before study leave was a paper on tuition fees. I ran into problems on 9e though, I had no idea what to write? Anyone want to console me (or possibly panic me) by telling me what they wrote for that question? It was about the effect of an increase in tuition fees on the market for higher education.

I did Q9 but no idea what 9e* was.. completely blanked my brain when i left the hall.. got sort of an idea what the ques was?
To sum up this paper in one word. Frustrating.Hope the grade boundaries are low because they are always higher in June than Jan.
For PES i did:
1. define
2. said it was elastic - 100 days less than 1/4 of a year so relatively short period of time/ something about yield was high/ spare capacity is available so farmers "using other land to grow more cotton"
3. Inelastic because of weather - reference to extract/ such weather could make soil unfertile so inelastic/magnitude of price rise very high

Is this alright?? Please help im really worried...
Original post by ThisIsMyUser
I did Q9 but no idea what 9e* was.. completely blanked my brain when i left the hall.. got sort of an idea what the ques was?

Urmm, I think it was "Discuss the economic effects of an increase in tuition fees on the market for higher education."

For lack of anything else, I wrote about a decrease in consumer surplus, a decrease in the occurrence of asymmetric information (you can tell I was really grasping at straws here) and the fact that universities would probably make more of an effort to attract students/maybe upgrade things like accommodation etc... now that fees were higher.
Original post by Student296
To sum up this paper in one word. Frustrating.Hope the grade boundaries are low because they are always higher in June than Jan.

Yes indeed, never done so bad in an exam..
Reply 87
Btw guys ahahha you know for the geographical immobility question, did anyone get that it was increase due to house differentials going down
Original post by Wa 007
Btw guys ahahha you know for the geographical immobility question, did anyone get that it was increase due to house differentials going down

yes
Original post by Wa 007

Yep :smile:
Reply 90
Btw , for q10 on external costs in evaluation could we say the government could intervene, however if the costs > benefits = govt failure, is this okay?
for the last question on the cotton one, i only had time to define/diagram/1 external cost/ 1 ev point - how many should this be out of 14
Reply 92
Original post by Megaman1995
for the last question on the cotton one, i only had time to define/diagram/1 external cost/ 1 ev point - how many should this be out of 14

Diagram - 4 if its all correct
Definition - 2 per definition
1 external cost - 1-2 marks
Evaluation - 2 if correct

What was you re evaluation?
Original post by cesca42
Urmm, I think it was "Discuss the economic effects of an increase in tuition fees on the market for higher education."

For lack of anything else, I wrote about a decrease in consumer surplus, a decrease in the occurrence of asymmetric information (you can tell I was really grasping at straws here) and the fact that universities would probably make more of an effort to attract students/maybe upgrade things like accommodation etc... now that fees were higher.

Oh right yh, i said how it as Uni spaces become more competitive umm something about that. Then explained how increase in fees will motivate students more, hence more skilled graduates. Analysis was how they would increase productivity of the economy, leading to economic growth so on.. i forgot my evaluation point but i only got to finish one paragraph. hope i get atleast 8

Your answer is somewhat valid so don't worry you should get a couple of marks for explanation, and application if you referred to data or anything, and evaluation marks
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Wa 007

difficult to quantify external cost :P
Original post by Wa 007

how did you find it?
Reply 96
Original post by Wa 007
Btw , for q10 on external costs in evaluation could we say the government could intervene, however if the costs > benefits = govt failure, is this okay?

Anyone wanna put me out of my misery?!!??
Reply 97
I think this paper wasnt bad, but it was one of the more harder papers. i found myself having to think more about the answers in the multipel choice compared to past papers where u can easily figure them out. Wonder how the grade boundaries will be in this exam.
Original post by nakz_
I think this paper wasnt bad, but it was one of the more harder papers. i found myself having to think more about the answers in the multipel choice compared to past papers where u can easily figure them out. Wonder how the grade boundaries will be in this exam.

I hope that the grade boundaries are low. Most of the people i spoke with ran out of time :colone:
Reply 99
Original post by Megaman1995
I hope that the grade boundaries are low. Most of the people i spoke with ran out of time :colone:

i did too. i did Q 9 and left myself only 20 minutes for the 10 mark and 14 mark.. i think i rushed through those and dropped some valuable marks. and didnt have time to go back and do the explanation for Q8 or check everything i wrote during my exam

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending