The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Psychology UNIT 2 29th May 2012

Who's doing this exam and how are you doing with it? Any tips you want to share?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by gazebi
Who's doing this exam and how are you doing with it? Any tips you want to share?

Heyy I'm doing this exam, just started revision today.
I did a bit over Easter but nothing since so forgotten most of what I learn :colondollar:

Was just wondering do you know the main key assumptions for psychodynamic and the learning approach? I'm a bit unclear on it :s-smilie:

:smile: how's your revision goin?
Reply 2
Original post by itsmehello
Heyy I'm doing this exam, just started revision today.
I did a bit over Easter but nothing since so forgotten most of what I learn :colondollar:

Was just wondering do you know the main key assumptions for psychodynamic and the learning approach? I'm a bit unclear on it :s-smilie:

:smile: how's your revision goin?

Hey, i have a critical thinking exam tomorrow but i'm totally lost with that one, i really need to focus on psychology if i'm to get a high grade.
So here is what i have
Learning:

One assumption, probably the most obvious. Humans are born as blank slates (this comes from Behaviourism) Everyone is born identical, and everything about us that makes us different is shaped by our environment. How you end up depends upon how you are brought up. For example our personality traits like shyness, confidence, sense of humour, aggression - it's all shaped by the environment. The reasons for our differences is that everyone has different environmental stimuli such as friends, family, culture, media etc.

According to Behavourists your personality is the way you respond to environmental stimuli.
Stimulus - Anything in the environment that has an impact on us.
Response - Obviously, how we respond to these stimuli. Some are natural reflexes like flinching or shivering when it's cold, jumping at loud noises but then there are other responses that we learn, like slowing down at a speed limit sign.

Apart from natural reflexes, none of these responses are set meaning they can be changed, Behaviourist therapy helps people by helping them learn to respond to things in more positive ways.

Psychodynamic:

Our personality and behaviour as adults are learnt from our early childhood experiences How one goes through each stage of Freud's stages of psychosexual development and the fixations (too little or too much pleasure) that might occur at each stage may have an effect on mental health or personality. In these childhood years relationships formed with parents also determines their adult personality.

Our behaviour, motivations and emotions are influenced by the unconscious mind. Freud believed that most of our personality is hidden in our unconscious level and the reasons why we behave the way we do is unknown to us. The unconscious mind is filled with sexual urges and childhood experiences. The unconscious can be accessed using psychoanalysis - techniques like dream interpretation and free association.

well i just typed that in my own words from my booklet, hope it helps, it helped me to recap it once again :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by gazebi
Hey, i have a critical thinking exam tomorrow but i'm totally lost with that one, i really need to focus on psychology if i'm to get a high grade.
So here is what i have
Learning:

One assumption, probably the most obvious. Humans are born as blank slates (this comes from Behaviourism) Everyone is born identical, and everything about us that makes us different is shaped by our environment. How you end up depends upon how you are brought up. For example our personality traits like shyness, confidence, sense of humour, aggression - it's all shaped by the environment. The reasons for our differences is that everyone has different environmental stimuli such as friends, family, culture, media etc.

According to Behavourists your personality is the way you respond to environmental stimuli.
Stimulus - Anything in the environment that has an impact on us.
Response - Obviously, how we respond to these stimuli. Some are natural reflexes like flinching or shivering when it's cold, jumping at loud noises but then there are other responses that we learn, like slowing down at a speed limit sign.

Apart from natural reflexes, none of these responses are set meaning they can be changed, Behaviourist therapy helps people by helping them learn to respond to things in more positive ways.

Psychodynamic:

Our personality and behaviour as adults are learnt from our early childhood experiences How one goes through each stage of Freud's stages of psychosexual development and the fixations (too little or too much pleasure) that might occur at each stage may have an effect on mental health or personality. In these childhood years relationships formed with parents also determines their adult personality.

Our behaviour, motivations and emotions are influenced by the unconscious mind. Freud believed that most of our personality is hidden in our unconscious level and the reasons why we behave the way we do is unknown to us. The unconscious mind is filled with sexual urges and childhood experiences. The unconscious can be accessed using psychoanalysis - techniques like dream interpretation and free association.

well i just typed that in my own words from my booklet, hope it helps, it helped me to recap it once again :smile:

Thank you soo much!!! :smile:
Reply 4
I missed out an A by 1 UMS in January and got 63UMS. What do i need in unit 2 (UMS) to get an overall A at AS?
Reply 5
Original post by AFC1993
I missed out an A by 1 UMS in January and got 63UMS. What do i need in unit 2 (UMS) to get an overall A at AS?

Overall you need 160/200 UMS to get an A, if you got 63 you need to get 97/120 ums in unit 2.

Which is 1 ums above a normal A in unit 2 :smile:
Reply 6
Cheers :smile:

Just revised the hell out of the psychosexual stages of development and evaluating Freud in every way haha.
The things I need to go over most are the Inferential statistics (Ordinal, Nominal, Interval) stuff and Twin/Adoption studies and I should be set :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by AFC1993
Cheers :smile:

Just revised the hell out of the psychosexual stages of development and evaluating Freud in every way haha.
The things I need to go over most are the Inferential statistics (Ordinal, Nominal, Interval) stuff and Twin/Adoption studies and I should be set :biggrin:

Omg I haven't even done enough revision, I tried to revise but gave up because I forgot everything I learnt after 10 minutes :frown:
Reply 8
Omg I haven't even done enough revision, I tried to revise but gave up because I forgot everything I learnt after 10 minutes :frown:

If you have the small orange book, memorise everything in there and try as many past papers as possible. Watch that A just come to you :P
Reply 9
Original post by AFC1993
If you have the small orange book, memorise everything in there and try as many past papers as possible. Watch that A just come to you :P

Ahh got a big fat textbook by Christine Brain... I think my ones just got extra stuff in it :redface:

It's annoying though only 3 pastpapers, defo going to properly start revising from tomorrow!
Reply 10
I'm all right on theory, it's just the studies which screw me up, I hate them with a passion. I haven't started revising psych either :/ Gonna start tomorrow after my exam.
Oh my god there are other people doing Edexcel???? COME TO ME BRETHREN!

I'm self-studying AS Psychology, got 88% in the Unit 1 exam in January but haven't even started looking at the Unit 2 stuff because I was concentrating on the rest of my subjects :frown: And I have a Latin exam the same day as Unit 2 so this exam is basically going to be awful :frown:

I know basically what's going on, because a lot of it is common sense, but I don't know any of the studies in detail at all. I wish there were more than 3 past papers :/
Original post by Oli-Ol
Oh my god there are other people doing Edexcel???? COME TO ME BRETHREN!

I'm self-studying AS Psychology, got 88% in the Unit 1 exam in January but haven't even started looking at the Unit 2 stuff because I was concentrating on the rest of my subjects :frown: And I have a Latin exam the same day as Unit 2 so this exam is basically going to be awful :frown:

I know basically what's going on, because a lot of it is common sense, but I don't know any of the studies in detail at all. I wish there were more than 3 past papers :/

Me tooo I learn a lot from past papers, helps to know how to answer the questions :frown:

And don't worry just learn the main points of each study and atleast 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses

Btw my key issue in the biological approach is 'are transgender operations ethical' but my teacher is crap and I know barely anything on it so would it be a good idea to self teach myself another key issue, I've found a good website with another key issue but I'm not sure if it's a good idea :s-smilie:

Which key issues are you all doing for the biological approach?
Me tooo I learn a lot from past papers, helps to know how to answer the questions :frown:

And don't worry just learn the main points of each study and atleast 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses

Btw my key issue in the biological approach is 'are transgender operations ethical' but my teacher is crap and I know barely anything on it so would it be a good idea to self teach myself another key issue, I've found a good website with another key issue but I'm not sure if it's a good idea :s-smilie:

Which key issues are you all doing for the biological approach?

So do I, especially when combined with the mark schemes and reports.

Thank you for the advice :smile: Your key issue sounds really interesting! Mine is 'Autism: An Extreme Male Brain Condition?', which is helpful for me because I am autistic. It's a fairly simple key issue actually- might be worth looking at if you're worried.
Original post by Oli-Ol
So do I, especially when combined with the mark schemes and reports.

Thank you for the advice :smile: Your key issue sounds really interesting! Mine is 'Autism: An Extreme Male Brain Condition?', which is helpful for me because I am autistic. It's a fairly simple key issue actually- might be worth looking at if you're worried.

Ohh I would prefer that key issue to mine! I just don't know what else to write apart from using David Reimer as evidence for it being ethical, but everything I've been taught has nothing related to ethics of the issue!

Thanks though :smile: I'll look into that issue and the other ones because I can't even find much info on my issue aghh
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
My psychology teacher is awful.
Just had to learn 60% of unit 2 by myself in the past 4 days.

Can someone please give me a rundown on brain lateralisation and supporting evidence.

Deep respect x
Original post by AFC1993
My psychology teacher is awful.
Just had to learn 60% of unit 2 by myself in the past 4 days.

Can someone please give me a rundown on brain lateralisation and supporting evidence.

Deep respect x

male brains are more lateralised then female brains, there is more activity on the right side of the brain heimisphere for males-hense why their better at spatial ability, whereas in females there is greater activitiy on the left hemisphere hense why their better at speech and verbal communiction...
in general males have a more laterlised brain in both left and right sides, whereas females have a lower lateralisation as there is equal amount of laterilastion on each side hense why females are better at multi tasking :smile:
Guys ask if you need help
Reply 18
Just wondering if anyone has any evaluation notes on Gottesman and Shields? Would be very helpful!
Reply 19
For Little Albert, do we need to know the WHOLE procedure? It's just far too detailed, I can't remember it all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending