The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA B PSYB4 18th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HotfireLegend
Spec A is more popular. The reason itself I never actually understood.

There is less 'real' science in Spec A. Spec B has a compulsory section solely on Biopsychology. It also less 'fashionable' topics - we don't do media or anomalistic. At AS there is also far more material covered - I know because I've taught both. So Spec A has a reputation as easier than B - especially for non psychology teachers who constitute the majority!
Original post by Arcane Barn Elk
There is less 'real' science in Spec A. Spec B has a compulsory section solely on Biopsychology. It also less 'fashionable' topics - we don't do media or anomalistic. At AS there is also far more material covered - I know because I've taught both. So Spec A has a reputation as easier than B - especially for non psychology teachers who constitute the majority!

Oooooooh, I get it now. My teacher is highly scientific (he has said so himself on many occasions, plus he teaches Biology!) so that explains why we do B.

*Joins cram club*
These amateur crammers know nothing about the morning cram pahaha
Well good luck all!
How was it?
I thought it was a pretty fair exam! Though, had a moment where I completely forgot all the evaluation for Holism Vs Reductionism.. :L

So happy cognitive wasn't an essay!!
Loved that exam. :biggrin:

The psychodynamic essay was brilliant! What could be more unique than the Oedipus complex and the Anal stage?

So very glad psychology as a science didn't come up, using the reductionism vs holism debate and applying them to topic areas wasn't to hard.

Research methods were my weakest, I didn't understand how to answer the first question and I can't be sure I answered the other correctly. Though the five marker was quite straightforward, I'm assuming it was all A01?

Only one more exam left, and I'm free!
Reply 187
Original post by NellyNoodles
I thought it was a pretty fair exam! Though, had a moment where I completely forgot all the evaluation for Holism Vs Reductionism.. :L

So happy cognitive wasn't an essay!!

Same here!
Awful exam imho. Forgot the difference between validity and reliability so I had to guess, the t test question was impossible, don't think I evaluated the SLT right. Forgot the difference between autonomic and sympathetic nervous system, put the wrong answer for replicatability :/

Evaluating SLT and reductionist approach was impossible too!
I thought it was ok, could have been better, hated the 5 marker on research methods. :redface:
Reply 190
thought is was a fair paper. how did people tackle the psychodynamic question?
i thought it was ok, the approaches was fine apart from the cognitive question which was hard. Debates was ok but in the essay i kept writing about idiographic instead of holism :frown: and i didnt mention interactionism, and also only wrote 2 lines for the 4 marker on replication, research methods was better than i thought but i did know the first question, something about dispersion? and struggled on the diary question, but thank god we didnt have to plan a study!
Original post by raaaachx
thought is was a fair paper. how did people tackle the psychodynamic question?

Tried to 4 points of description of why Psychodynamic is unique, then compared the points to a different approach, then evaluated each approach. I think I did that three times though, hopefully my expansion will count as A02. :rolleyes:
Original post by MyselfEtAl
I thought it was ok, could have been better, hated the 5 marker on research methods. :redface:

Did you use 5 A01 marks for that?
Original post by Placebo101
Awful exam imho. Forgot the difference between validity and reliability so I had to guess, the t test question was impossible, don't think I evaluated the SLT right. Forgot the difference between autonomic and sympathetic nervous system, put the wrong answer for replicatability :/

Evaluating SLT and reductionist approach was impossible too!

How come you didn't choose option A?
Original post by Chris P Chicken.
Did you use 5 A01 marks for that?

I wasn't too sure about whether it was A01s of A02s OR AO3s!!
I did section B, I actually liked the paper! one more exam go :tongue:
Reply 197
I thought the exam was ok, the research methods section was my weakest though. I was expecting the last question to be about writing you own study, so did not expect the reliability and validity question but I still answered it the best I could. Just got an english literature and a philosophy exam and then I am done.:biggrin:
What did everyone write for that final research methods question..? I wrote about pilot studies and a bit about peer review to check it was replicable and measured what it was supposed to. I also defined the terms for good measure. :L I don't know how the marks are dished out because I wrote out pilot studies in a lot of detail. I think that question will be my downfall...
Original post by NellyNoodles
What did everyone write for that final research methods question..? I wrote about pilot studies and a bit about peer review to check it was replicable and measured what it was supposed to. I also defined the terms for good measure. :L I don't know how the marks are dished out because I wrote out pilot studies in a lot of detail. I think that question will be my downfall...

I wrote about the reliability and validity tests in the book.
So face validity, concurrent validity, then I talked about reliability checks which were: Test-retest, item analysis, split-half test.

I'm not sure about pilot studies, but I'm pretty sure peer reviews can show validity.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending