The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) FP1 answers June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snakefingers13
Decent exam, can't complain about confusing questions really.

Only irritation was that I ballsed up question 9 slightly. Got the first part with the shear, but calculated the determinant of the inverse of the shear as -1 instead of 1, which has annoyingly given me the wrong answer, despite my method being fine. I realised this with about 30 seconds to go and didn't have enough time to change it. Will I still get some method marks and a Mark for stating 'rotation' in part 3 despite not getting the right angle? (120 degrees anticlockwise, exactly opposite).

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

yes
Original post by Kavzaz
How many marks would you lose roughly if you made a small calculation error in the process of factorising. e.g +3 instead of -3.

Everything else was fine, method etc.

Could you possible break the marks to this question down as much as possible?

Thanks in advance.

Guessing 1 for basis case, 4 for inductive step, 1 for completion, 1 for fully factorising
Original post by cameron95
does anyone remember what z and w were on the 1st question?

z = 6 - i and w = 5 + 4i
For the rotation matrix question

I got the desired matrix but instead of saying rotation is put reflection in the line y=tan30 x

Is this the same thing ? It looked right in my head :s

Also I shaded in the wrong part of the circle for the argand diagram ...lose all marks ?
For the second part of the first question, I have no idea what I did (though I'd assume I got confused with positive i^2 and negative i^2) and instead of (26 - 29i) / 41, I got (26 - 29i) / 29, so had 26/29 + i. I'm more concerned about how I did that as opposed to how many marks I'd lose of the three (I'd assume I'd lose 2 of them?), so I was just wondering if anyone could tell what I did?
Original post by icy elemental
For the second part of the first question, I have no idea what I did (though I'd assume I got confused with positive i^2 and negative i^2) and instead of (26 - 29i) / 41, I got (26 - 29i) / 29, so had 26/29 + i. I'm more concerned about how I did that as opposed to how many marks I'd lose of the three (I'd assume I'd lose 2 of them?), so I was just wondering if anyone could tell what I did?

I think you were meant to get 25 - 16(i squared) on the bottom making 41 so I'm not too sure what you've done. You'll get at least 1 mark for showing you multiply by the opposite of the denominator. I also think I made some silly mistakes too, even on the sum series question but hopefully the mark scheme is quite lenient too! :/
Original post by icy elemental

You didn't square the 4 on the bottom it seems you just added it.
Ah, you're right, incredibly stupid mistake :/ Oh well, hopefully the rest went ok xD
Reply 108
Original post by Mr M
Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) FP1 answers June 2012

1. (i) 21+11i (2 marks)

(ii) 2629i41\frac{26-29i}{41} (3 marks)

2. (i) (52136)\begin{pmatrix} 5 & 2\\13 & 6 \end{pmatrix} (2 marks)

(ii) 14(62135)\frac{1}{4} \begin{pmatrix} 6 & -2\\-13 & 5 \end{pmatrix} (3 marks)

3. a=8a=-8 and b=25b=25 (4 marks)

4. n(n+i)(ni)n(n+i)(n-i) (7 marks)

5. Proof (5 marks)

6. (i) 5u2+11u+8=05u^2+11u+8=0 (3 marks)

(ii) 85\frac{8}{5} (3 marks)

7. (i) Circle centre 3 + 4i and radius 4 and horizontal line through 0 + 4i (6 marks)

(ii) -1 + 4i and 7 + 4i (2 marks)

(iii) Shade top of circle above horizontal line (2 marks)

8. (i) Show (1 mark)

(ii) n(5+3n)2(n+1)(n+2)\frac{n(5+3n)}{2(n+1)(n+2)} (6 marks)

(iii) N = 4 (4 marks)

9. (i) Shear parallel to x axis taking (0, 1) to (2, 1) (2 marks)

(ii) 12(1331)\frac{1}{2} \begin{pmatrix} 1 & \sqrt{3}\\ -\sqrt{3} & 1 \end{pmatrix} (5 marks)

(iii) Rotation clockwise about O by 60 degrees (2 marks)

10 (i) a34aa^3 - 4a (3 marks)

(ii) (a) Unique solution

(b) No unique solution and inconsistent

(c) No unique solution and consistent (7 marks)

Mr M, for 8. (iii) I got the right answer for redoing the method of differences, but this time from r=N+1 to infinity. (I did the method of cancelling). I then was left with a quadratic that I factorised and came out with the right answer. Would that get the marks?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending