The Student Room Group

What Is Amsterdam REALLY like??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by sumsum123
Used to live in Holland, in a town near Amsterdam. There is alot to do in Amsterdam, I love the city. It is not all drugs and sex, the amount of times I get the knowing look of being a druggy just for saying I was born in Holland is hilarious :tongue:. Hire a bike, go sight seeing. There are some beautiful architecture and canals. Awesome shops too. Dont worry though, you wont get bored. There is plenty to do :smile:. And people are really friendly! You have got to eat some stroopwafels mmm! Wafels with a caramel syrup, if only I could get it shipped here. Enjoy!

Ohh those stroopwafels are gorgeous!! It was so nice I had bring back some to prove to my family how yummy they were :tongue:
Reply 21
Original post by tpxvs
Ohh those stroopwafels are gorgeous!! It was so nice I had bring back some to prove to my family how yummy they were :tongue:

I could live off that :frown:. Ahh I am craving them now, too too good! :colondollar:
Reply 22
It is perfectly possible to have a holiday in Amsterdam without going anywhere near the whole drug and sex scene, if that isn't your thing. There's cycling, boat trips on the canals, pedalo hire, an epic mini golf course in the Amstelpark, various museums and interesting buildings. I've not really had a chance to sample all that Amsterdam has to offer, since we usually spend most of the time there visiting relatives.

Make sure you buy a croquette or two (or three :colondollar:) from a FEBO restaurant, as they are absolutely awesome. Just avoid the sub-standard burgers.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Hmmm, judging by all of your responses, its either one extreme or the other with Amsterdam, am I correct? Either go sightseeing, museums etc. (definitely not for me thanks very much!), or weed cafes and brothels, (which I'd rather not!)

In the last couple of days, we've sort of swung towards a weekend in the sun somewhere else - because the general consensus is that Amsterdam simply isn't for us! :P
Reply 24
I could live off that :frown:. Ahh I am craving them now, too too good! :colondollar:

You can get them in most supermarkets...there are very similar things for a £1 in Starbucks/Caffe Nero even...
Check if the bans on tourists smoking weed/entering coffee shops hasn't come into place yet? It definitely is soon so that may not be an option to you anymore anyway. (Unless you have a Dutch passport).
Reply 26
Original post by GdotL
You can get them in most supermarkets...there are very similar things for a £1 in Starbucks/Caffe Nero even...

Really! I never knew. I am so checking starbuck/caffe nero. :cute: Thanks
Reply 27
Used to live in Holland, in a town near Amsterdam. There is alot to do in Amsterdam, I love the city. It is not all drugs and sex, the amount of times I get the knowing look of being a druggy just for saying I was born in Holland is hilarious :tongue:. Hire a bike, go sight seeing. There are some beautiful architecture and canals. Awesome shops too. Dont worry though, you wont get bored. There is plenty to do :smile:. And people are really friendly! You have got to eat some stroopwafels mmm! Wafels with a caramel syrup, if only I could get it shipped here. Enjoy!

They sell stroopwafels in Lidl, possibly Aldi too...and I even saw some in Tesco the other day! Not fresh though obviously. Still awesome though.
Reply 28
I know a group of rather pathetic guys who go there every summer to get cheap sex as they simply can't get any without paying, lots of virgins go there too...

Anyone who goes all the way to Amsterdam just for sex and drugs are an embarrassment.
OP I went amsterdam about 3 months ago with my brother for 3 nights. Neither of us smokes weed nor have to pay for action with the ladies (my brother doesnt smoke cigarettes or drink either :smile: There is so much to do during the day and night away from the seediness-the nightlclubs are generally really good. We had a good budget for this trip and bought the holland pass, which gives you entrance to 7 attractions and a free city bus tour- for just under £50-theres options available for less attractions/tickets for a smaller price. We did things like the canal boat tours (a must for dam), maddame tussauds, Amsterdam dungeons, Chicago boom comedy club, etc with the tickets.
Most tourisfs seemed to buy the I Amsterdam card- yes it is cheaper and includes a travel pass, but only gives you free access to the museums (which neither of us are into). Yes you will have to fork a bit out for accomodation and alcohol in clubs. Thus, I wouldnt advise anyone to go amsterdam without atleast a fair budget to get the best out of the place really. Have a great trip!!
Still dreaming of Stroopwaffels and Taksi orange juice nearly a year later...

Anne Frank house is absolutely amazing and very moving - so worth the hour long queue to get in - it's one of those things everyone has to do!
And a canal tour - great way to experience the city is on a canal boat - or perhaps by bike :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by snapper1
I know a group of rather pathetic guys who go there every summer to get cheap sex as they simply can't get any without paying, lots of virgins go there too...

Anyone who goes all the way to Amsterdam just for sex and drugs are an embarrassment.

Yeah what sort of a loser spends a whole hour on a plane to get to smoke the best weed in the world, free from the bull**** harassment you get from pigs in the UK? You could do with a visit yourself, maybe it will open your tiny mind the slightest amount :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by Butterfly9595
Still dreaming of Stroopwaffels and Taksi orange juice nearly a year later...

Anne Frank house is absolutely amazing and very moving - so worth the hour long queue to get in - it's one of those things everyone has to do!
And a canal tour - great way to experience the city is on a canal boat - or perhaps by bike :smile:

The Anne Frank house sucks. Just go up into your own loft and imagine what it would be like to be stuck up there for months on end with no food. Save your time and money. The Van Gogh Museum is a tourist trap that is rammed to the hilt and way too expensive for what it is. I seriously struggle to see how Amsterdam is going to pull in one tenth of the tourists it currently does once they ban tourists from coffeeshops.
Reply 33
Original post by Elipsis
Yeah what sort of a loser spends a whole hour on a plane to get to smoke the best weed in the world, free from the bull**** harassment you get from pigs in the UK? You could do with a visit yourself, maybe it will open your tiny mind the slightest amount :smile:

What sort of loser? Hmm let's see shall we..."Best weed in the world...free from the bull**** harrassment you get from pigs". Losers just like you actually :smile: Have a good trip douche x
Reply 34
What sort of loser? Hmm let's see shall we..."Best weed in the world...free from the bull**** harrassment you get from pigs". Losers just like you actually :smile: Have a good trip douche x

Haha, an hour long trip? I've travelled more than an hour just to go to one concert, why wouldn't I make that tiny effort to go and smoke some nice weed in peace away from ignorant morons like yourself?

Anyway, enjoy your alcohol and the slow and painful death it will inflict on you :smile: It must really hurt your ego that this loser studied the same subject as you but at a far superior uni. So if i'm a loser what are you? :rofl:
Reply 35
^ How about you two take your childish argument elsewhere? Think I've got a good enough idea of the place now, thanks for your input! :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by Elipsis
Haha, an hour long trip? I've travelled more than an hour just to go to one concert, why wouldn't I make that tiny effort to go and smoke some nice weed in peace away from ignorant morons like yourself?

Anyway, enjoy your alcohol and the slow and painful death it will inflict on you :smile: It must really hurt your ego that this loser studied the same subject as you but at a far superior uni. So if i'm a loser what are you? :rofl:

Ahahahaaa yep typical Amsterdam kid :rolleyes:
Reply 37
I was there a few weeks ago. Met a homeless man with a plant pot on his head, claimed to have been balancing it for 6 years. That is all.
Amsterdam is lovely! Beautiful canals and architecture. Great shopping and galleries and museums. I really enjoyed it.
Never went to any cannabis cafe places, but I think a walk through the red-light district would be an eye-opener. :smile:
Reply 39
Ahahahaaa yep typical Amsterdam kid :rolleyes:

Cool, i'll have amsterdam and you can have clubs that play Rihanna that are full of fat simpletons like yourself. Deal? Anyway, the fact I have a roll of toilet paper in my bathroom that's worth more than your entire degree tells me everything I need to know about you.

Quick Reply

Latest