The Student Room Group

What should I do about my directionless gap year?

I'm a 19 year old about half way through my gap year and am in a slump because of it. This was an unplanned gap year as I wanted to switch uni's after not enjoying my previous one and as such I had no real plans for it other than working and finding a new uni. I hate living in my home town since there is very little to do and I have no real friends here plus living with my parents means I have way less freedom than I did at uni. And while I've tried finding hobbies I end up being unmotivated to do them.

Right now I have a part time job and am learning to drive which tbh I'm really regretting since I'm getting no where with it and it essentially means I can't leave home for a long period until it's done. I do have some plans like going on holiday to Amsterdam and going to a concert. I would love to do more traveling across the world but I'm worried about what my parents would think plus how much money I would spend or if anything happens like I lose my passport, plus driving lessons would hold me back.

Sorry for the long vent, I guess I'm just sick of spending each day looking forward to returning to uni and feeling stuck in this mess. I'm also trying to work on my mental health right now as its been a problem for a while. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I get out of this slump during my gap year,
Have had the same feeling. I’m glad I’ve got a few friends in the same city though. Only thing I think ab is travelling and getting out. You are an adult and would be using your money. Why let what your parents may think stop you from fulfilling your life? I don’t really understand why driving lessons should hold you back either?

Quick Reply

Latest