The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Chances of getting into Oxford DPhil in International Relations w/ MSc 2:1 & BA Hons?

Hello everyone,

I am from the US who recently graduated from the University of Amsterdam with an MSc in International Relations. I got a 7.48/10 which is like 2:1 when you convert it from Dutch to UK system. I also graduated with Honors from the University of California. I also did a study abroad at QMUL, which kind of gave me a glimpse into the UK system. I am wondering whether my background is enough for Oxford DPhil or not.

Nuffield is my target college because my research interests are aligned with one of the professors. Since I only achieved distinction in my undergrad but not for my Master's, I feel like I have to rely heavily on my research proposal.

Given my background, would Oxford fully consider my application? I would like to know if Oxford would take in students who almost got First or distinction level for their Master's.

Any advice or feedback is welcome.

Thanks alot!
Original post by christian01541
Hello everyone,

I am from the US who recently graduated from the University of Amsterdam with an MSc in International Relations. I got a 7.48/10 which is like 2:1 when you convert it from Dutch to UK system. I also graduated with Honors from the University of California. I also did a study abroad at QMUL, which kind of gave me a glimpse into the UK system. I am wondering whether my background is enough for Oxford DPhil or not.

Nuffield is my target college because my research interests are aligned with one of the professors. Since I only achieved distinction in my undergrad but not for my Master's, I feel like I have to rely heavily on my research proposal.

Given my background, would Oxford fully consider my application? I would like to know if Oxford would take in students who almost got First or distinction level for their Master's.

Thanks alot!

I think you are right, your application will rely heavily on your research proposal being very interesting and fitting well with a Supervisor. But Oxford will fully consider your application - they do for all applications. Your chances might be low, but they are zero if you don't apply.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by christian01541
Hello everyone,

Thanks alot!

How did this work out for you? Did you end up applying to Oxford for the PDhil? I'm in a similar situation.
Reply 3
7.48 is really too low for Oxford, they're looking for around 8.0 - 8.3.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending