The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA Geography A (Physical, Unit 1) (14th June)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by boumavilla
I reckon Montserrat with come up for Restless Earth and maybe flood defences for Water on the Land.

Well.. A volcano may come up but they are never specific on Case Study questions which is always good..

The question is more like: "For a volcano you have studied, explore...", meaning you can use whatever example you like. AQA can't expect all centres to teach the same Case Study :smile:
Original post by steviep14
Well.. A volcano may come up but they are never specific on Case Study questions which is always good..

The question is more like: "For a volcano you have studied, explore...", meaning you can use whatever example you like. AQA can't expect all centres to teach the same Case Study :smile:

True, but I know only one case study about volcanoes! :tongue:
They will most likely come up this year though.
Reply 162
Oh dear :rolleyes: You clearly haven't learnt/read "in example".. if you like, I will list every diagram you could be asked but I am sure you don't want to read that.. Of course they aren't repeating exact questions, I am not stupid but:

"Draw a constructive plate boundary" or something is very possible.. So stop getting sarcastic with me

Okayy don't bite my head off, pipe down mate.
And I did read it; it was prior to the other points you made so it was imminent that I had read it.
Reply 163
Original post by slaughterthedaises
I have same topics too. Yes! I think they're coming to 8 case studies. My case studies are, Earthquake: Haiti & Japan, Tsunami: Indo-Australian plate, Floods: Bangladesh & Bostcastle (UK), Volcanoes: Monserrat, Ecosystems, Tropical rainforest Amazon, Sahara desert, Nevada desert, deciduous forest Bidford UK.

waiti, that's more than 8 right? 😝

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yeah I think I have upwards of 12 different case studies, criss-crossing of information is probably my biggest concern! I'm doing similar case studies to you but some i've collated with my own research as the examiners like to see some originality from time to time.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Sea Bass
Okayy don't bite my head off, pipe down mate.
And I did read it; it was prior to the other points you made so it was imminent that I had read it.

Sure but next time, please don't go off on one when I offer advice.. It does no harm to say; "By the way those won't come up" rather than be so brash :smile:

Good Luck tomorrow :biggrin:
Original post by boumavilla
True, but I know only one case study about volcanoes! :tongue:
They will most likely come up this year though.

I am doing Eyjafjallajokull :biggrin: I know quite a bit about that seeing as the planes bit can cover responses and effects.. but yes any case study is fine
Just remember you need an LEDC and MEDC earthquake one
Reply 166
Original post by >Username<
I got told by my teacher write 4 then fully explain them then you'll get the full 8 marks. But that doesn't make sense because in the mark scheme even a perfect answer won't get full marks, plus when I've counted up some of the points, there are about 8.

Timing is always a big issue for me in every exam. I made the same mistake as you in my Year 10 R.E exam... I knew everything but I write neat meaning I was too slow...

So, for each question how many minutes should you spend do you think?

I'm so annoyed at my teacher, today he said if a case study comes up asking you about the short term/long term responses of an earthquake, make sure you put what caused the earthquake... That honestly is wrong. Isn't it?

I'd say just over a minute per mark, so on an 8 mark question, about 9 mins at the most.
Oh, and as for what your teacher said, you are correct, he is wrong!!
I read on the AQA website the Principle Examiner's report on last year's exam, and he wrote very explicitly that there were too many candidates in that exam that were providing irrelevant information (like what your teacher suggested), and he said it 'wastes valuable time' and 'no credit is given' for it.

Time management is crucial! I know from experience :smile:

Good luck!
Do we need to know both a "Coastal Habitat" AND a "Coastal Management System" case study for Water on the Land or will it be a choice such as "Using a case study of an ecosystem"?
Reply 168
Sure but next time, please don't go off on one when I offer advice.. It does no harm to say; "By the way those won't come up" rather than be so brash :smile:

Good Luck tomorrow :biggrin:

Okay, I'm sorry :smile:
I should have not been so paranoid, and thank you,
Good luck to you too :biggrin:
I got told by my teacher write 4 then fully explain them then you'll get the full 8 marks. But that doesn't make sense because in the mark scheme even a perfect answer won't get full marks, plus when I've counted up some of the points, there are about 8.

Timing is always a big issue for me in every exam. I made the same mistake as you in my Year 10 R.E exam... I knew everything but I write neat meaning I was too slow...

So, for each question how many minutes should you spend do you think?

I'm so annoyed at my teacher, today he said if a case study comes up asking you about the short term/long term responses of an earthquake, make sure you put what caused the earthquake... That honestly is wrong. Isn't it?

Well.. there is a difference between quickly adding a detail to impress the examiner and flowing into a huge explanation..

Little touches such as the Location and Cause early on is a nice way of showing what you can do but keep it brief as it isn't worth marks as such.. just impression

I would recommend: "Kobe Earthquake on 17 January 1995 caused by a Strike Slip on the Nojima Fault has many responses. Firstly..."

But starting to discuss what the boundaries were, what happened, why it happened is just pointless.. just make it look like you are in control and know what you are doing is the best idea.
Reply 170
Really? Who told you that? My teacher said always refer to countries as MEDC and LEDC because it's advanced vocabulary...

And what do you mean by the names? Tbh, I don't even pay attention to the names...

One of the teachers at my school told us in a lecture, but he doesn't teach GCSE he only teaches A-Level (and writes the A-Level textbook!). Probably best to stick to your guns and just say MEDC/LEDC.

As for the names thing, it doesn't just apply to Geography I mean subjects like Maths where they say "PersonX goes into a shop..." they always use a mixture of names from different races to "promote multiculturalism." I have support for multiculturalism but it's just pathetic political correctness on the part of the exam boards!
10 Case Studies done, 5 to go :eek:
Reply 172
So for the case studies does anyone think these predictions are 'rightish'.

Restless earth a volcano
Coasts a marsh habitat e.g. Keyhaven
Rocks quarry

???????????????????????????
Original post by Clare2012
So for the case studies does anyone think these predictions are 'rightish'.

Restless earth a volcano
Coasts a marsh habitat e.g. Keyhaven
Rocks quarry

???????????????????????????

Yes
Maybe (Probably "Ecosystem")
(Not a clue :tongue: ) <-- I do coasts
Reply 174
Original post by LuckyA
One of the teachers at my school told us in a lecture, but he doesn't teach GCSE he only teaches A-Level (and writes the A-Level textbook!). Probably best to stick to your guns and just say MEDC/LEDC.

As for the names thing, it doesn't just apply to Geography I mean subjects like Maths where they say "PersonX goes into a shop..." they always use a mixture of names from different races to "promote multiculturalism." I have support for multiculturalism but it's just pathetic political correctness on the part of the exam boards!

I don't know really, I guess the exam boards can't be too one sided. I personally don't see what the big fuss is about, some people I know always complain they always use names they don't understand... And I always think well at the end of the day it's a just a name.
Does anyone have any ideas on what may come up tomorrow for: The Restless Earth; Ice on the Land; The Coastal Zone?

Going by the specification, there are eleven case studies that we should know for those three topics. :angry:
I'm just going to butt right in here.

I did this module last year and got a D. I stupidly decided to pay for a resit, I absolutely detest Geography, it's the stupidest choice I've ever made in my life.

My question is, what are the most important case studies to know? I will be doing "The Restless Earth", "Challenge of Weather and Climate" and "Water on the Land".

I haven't touched my notes in over a year and basically decided I was going to fail Geography so that I could focus on my other subjects.

I've now decided to just give it a go. I can learn quite a fair amount of information in quite a short time (I managed to learn a decent amount of background information and context for twelve poems a few hours before my English Literature exam) so what case studies should I primarily focus on?
Reply 177
Original post by overskrill

I did this module last year and got a D. I stupidly decided to pay for a resit, I absolutely detest Geography, it's the stupidest choice I've ever made in my life.

My question is, what are the most important case studies to know? I will be doing "The Restless Earth", "Challenge of Weather and Climate" and "Water on the Land".

I haven't touched my notes in over a year and basically decided I was going to fail Geography so that I could focus on my other subjects.

I've now decided to just give it a go. I can learn quite a fair amount of information in quite a short time (I managed to learn a decent amount of background information and context for twelve poems a few hours before my English Literature exam) so what case studies should I primarily focus on?

for restless earth a volcano maybe pinatubo dont do the other topics!!
Original post by Clare2012
for restless earth a volcano maybe pinatubo dont do the other topics!!

Why not?

Edit: I think you're mistaken, I don't have a choice. These are the only topics I've done in school so answering other questions would be quite stupid.
Original post by overskrill

I've taken this from the official specification:

For The Restless Earth -
*A case study of one range of fold mountains, the ways in which they are used (HEP, farming, mining)
*A case study of a volcanic eruption - its cause, effects, short- and long-term impacts, responses.
*A case study of an earthquake from a poor part of the world and one from a richer part of the world - their specific causes; primary and secondary effects; immediate and long-term responses.
*A case study of a tsunami - its cause, effects, responses.

For Challenge of Weather and Climate -
*A case study of a tropical storm from a rich part of the world and one from a poorer area (cyclones/typhoons/hurricanes)

For Water on the Land -
*A case study of flooding in a rich part of the world and some from a poorer area.
* A case study of a dam or reservoir.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending