The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry Exam Unit 1 (C1) 15th June 2012 (New Spec.)

Scroll to see replies

That was so hard! I guessed at least a third of the test, what did everyone put for the polythene plastic bags 6 marker?
Original post by Saraxo
On the first page, what did you write for the question about why atoms have no overall charge...

I wrote the number of protons equals the number of neutrons therefore the atom has no overall charge...? dont know if its right...

I put that too, i think it's right
Reply 162
Original post by Alix23
No, it was number of protons and electrons, the neutrons are neutral

oops yeah i meant electrons :biggrin: , so atleast I got one right
Reply 163
Original post by MajorRisk
I'm guessing 46/60?
I find Chemistry really easy and I revised like hell....but this exam - stupidly hard!
The exam was all really applying knowledge but the questions were hard and badly worded.
I found biology much easier.

Last question I put the boiling points were so similar of Oxygen and Argon so they are hard to separate. What did people get for the QWR question 3 about poly(ethene)??

I put the same for oxygen and argon, nobody else seems to have though!
I didn't have time to finish the poly(ethene) question, it was the only one I didn't finish
Reply 164
Original post by lizzie9786
I put that too, i think it's right

It was electrons, got confused
meant
number of protons = number of electrons
Reply 165
Original post by Alix23
I put the same for oxygen and argon, nobody else seems to have though!
I didn't have time to finish the poly(ethene) question, it was the only one I didn't finish

I put that oxygen and argon came out at the same time. when it said name the two gases and it was laid out like this
............. and ...............
Reply 166
This was the worst exam I've ever done in my life! I was resitting it from January when I got a U but I doubt I've done any better at all. Hopefully they'll lower the grade boundaries. I think I gave up after the 5th set of questions and I was crying afterwards!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Saraxo
It was electrons, got confused
meant
number of protons = number of electrons

Oh ops i meant that to! number of protons = number of electrons
Reply 168
Original post by NicoleFL
This was the worst exam I've ever done in my life! I was resitting it from January when I got a U but I doubt I've done any better at all. Hopefully they'll lower the grade boundaries. I think I gave up after the 5th set of questions and I was crying afterwards!

I totally understand how you feeel:frown:
it was so hard.. especially the questions on fractional distillation of air..
for the poly(ethane) For advantages i put they are strong and make the supermarket money because they charge for them for disadvantages i put that they normally only get used once and they end up in landfill, have i got any of them right?

i out more disadvantages but i can't remember
Reply 170
I found the exam generally ok, a few toughies mind, the last question was really hard.. :frown:

Reply 171
Original post by hannnahlucy
for the poly(ethane) For advantages i put they are strong and make the supermarket money because they charge for them for disadvantages i put that they normally only get used once and they end up in landfill, have i got any of them right?

i out more disadvantages but i can't remember

I wrote:
advantages:
polymerisation is an quick and easy reaction to make bags
provides jobs

disadvantages:
they end up in landfill
landfill sites release methane
bags are biodegradable
ethene is non-renewable as it comes from crude oil
Original post by MajorRisk
I'm guessing 46/60?
I find Chemistry really easy and I revised like hell....but this exam - stupidly hard!
The exam was all really applying knowledge but the questions were hard and badly worded.
I found biology much easier.

Last question I put the boiling points were so similar of Oxygen and Argon so they are hard to separate. What did people get for the QWR question 3 about poly(ethene)??

i put the boiling points of oxygen and nitrogen are so similar so they are hard to separate! are you sure it's oxygen and argon? some of my friends said because they are not a noble gas.. which is right?

also , what did you write for the density question of nitrogen? and the graph calculation?
Reply 173
Bags are biodegradable, that should've an advantage I think??

what can you see when fermentation between sugar solution and yeast?
Reply 175
Original post by Iain_F
Bags are biodegradable, that should've an advantage I think??

Oops i meant "bags aren't biodegradable"
Reply 176
Original post by christinelam17
i put the boiling points of oxygen and nitrogen are so similar so they are hard to separate! are you sure it's oxygen and argon? some of my friends said because they are not a noble gas.. which is right?

also , what did you write for the density question of nitrogen? and the graph calculation?

The density question was awful. I couldn't think of what to write, what did you put for that what do you see happening to the fermentation of yeast and sugar???

Reply 177
Original post by school is hell
what can you see when fermentation between sugar solution and yeast?

omg honestly, i was thinking wtf with that question
Original post by Alix23
the question was when clay and calcium carbonate are heated in the rotary kiln, and methane and air are put in, which two gases would be produced most?

I put Carbon Dioxide, as that's what's produced when calcium carbonate decomposes, and I also guessed Nitrogen, because it makes up the majority of the air going in, but that's probably wrong.

I put carbon dioxide and I guessed carbon monoxide because I thought incomplete combustion may possibly of happened but I think nitrogen is probably right either way 1/4 of the test was sosososo hard!
Reply 179
Do you guys think 47-48 would be an A*?

I found the exam generally challenging. It was OK hard for most of it, but some parts (last page) were annoying.

Also, did everyone just put a 2 in the balancing equations? I can't remember what it was exactly, but I remember putting just a 2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending