The Student Room Group

French Edexcel 19 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Alika186
According to my teacher, who is a senior examiner (so I hope she knows what shes on about):

We only do one RBE and then we do the creative or discursive essay. And the lovely translation. Grrr...

If you are doing the arts for the RBE (literature, films, plays etc) the you don't need a bibliography, but you do need quotes. Although, if you do find relevant information from an external source I think you can add it, in a bibliography of footnote, but I would check with a tutor first.

However, if you are doing one of the topics for the RBE (aspect of modern society, a historical period or a geographical region) you do need to add a bibliography or footnotes (this is advised in place of referencing in the essay, as this adds to your word count, whereas the 2 former suggestions do not).

I have to study both arts and a geographical region. :rolleyes: For both languages.

I hope this kinda helps, because I think I just rambled.

arghh tbh i am completely messed up! i have changed my topics thre times over the past few months for the RBE due to the stupidness of my dear french teacher who has no clue whatsoever about the exam!
initially i opted for the culture/pol/society theme but it ws a major fail! :frown: therefore im deciding on starting my research ALL OVER again on the geographical region..since you are doing it too & do have an idea about what exactly does edexcel expect from us when they say understanding of culture,religion,traditions beliefs & THE KEY PEOPLE?! :s-smilie: if i chose paris for example could you please give me a few guide lines im completely lost & my teacher has left for the easter break :'( + i need an a to get to durhammmm!! arghhhh
Is anyone preparing more than one RBE in case they can't answer the question on theirs?
Reply 22
Hiii,

Anyone doing French Edexcel A2 level 19th June? Anyone have any ideas on what literature or discursive questions might be asked?
Slightly scared :eek:
I have an awful feeling that the research based essay for literature is going to style based which is terrible, for discursive I do not have a clue but my teacher guessed that les droits des femmes will be there.
hi, anyone able to share their notes for les choristes if anyone has chosen it for their researched based essay?
i have notes but I haven't finished them- in the meantime look at this if you haven't already, some bits are quite interesting, especially about techniques http://www.kinomachtschule.at/data/choristes.pdf
Reply 26
Well in Spanish it was chacter and that was edexcel so v.unlikely it will be that I have a feeling it might be themes but you can never be too sure
Original post by a-fuchsia-elephant
i have notes but I haven't finished them- in the meantime look at this if you haven't already, some bits are quite interesting, especially about techniques http://www.kinomachtschule.at/data/choristes.pdf

Ah thanks alot, these notes are perfect thankyou :smile:
Reply 28
Hi guys, im doing edexcel too :smile:

does anyone have any predictions for the discursive essay? or does anyone know how to tackle this type of essay - i'm an external student so any hints and tips would be great!
Original post by :)J
Hi guys, im doing edexcel too :smile:

does anyone have any predictions for the discursive essay? or does anyone know how to tackle this type of essay - i'm an external student so any hints and tips would be great!

I'm thinking les droits des femmes will come up... not really sure though
Reply 30
Original post by jackyblueyes
I'm thinking les droits des femmes will come up... not really sure though

Awesome :smile: Do you by any chance know how to write these type of essays - like is the last out like:

introduction
make a point
contradict it
make a point
contradict it

etc?
conclusion of your opinion

is that how you generally do the discursive essay?
Awesome :smile: Do you by any chance know how to write these type of essays - like is the last out like:

introduction
make a point
contradict it
make a point
contradict it

etc?
conclusion of your opinion

is that how you generally do the discursive essay?

erm yes I'm going to definately write a plan in the exam on idea and what to add as I go through each paragraph, and then

1) introduction, say what you are going to discuss in the exam, keep it brief.
2) one side of the discussion i.e the good side of an arguement.
3) other side of the discussion i.e what others think about the topic ect...
4) personal opinion, brief evaluation of the above paragraphs.
5) conclusion, answer the question.

keep paragraphs short considering the word limit.
Original post by jackyblueyes
erm yes I'm going to definately write a plan in the exam on idea and what to add as I go through each paragraph, and then

1) introduction, say what you are going to discuss in the exam, keep it brief.
2) one side of the discussion i.e the good side of an arguement.
3) other side of the discussion i.e what others think about the topic ect...
4) personal opinion, brief evaluation of the above paragraphs.
5) conclusion, answer the question.

keep paragraphs short considering the word limit.

we were told to do
-intro introducing both sides of argument
-arguments against what you're arguing
-then hit back at that argument with your argument
-conclusion summing up points

i did a different language a2 last year and followed a structure with three intermediate conclusions and did pretty badly..they do like their structure at edexcel
Reply 33
we were told to do

i did a different language a2 last year and followed a structure with three intermediate conclusions and did pretty badly..they do like their structure at edexcel

Hiya, what do you mean exactly with '3 intermediate conclusions'? :smile:
Could someone who knows French take out anything that isn't great I need to shorten it to 250 words: (it's about 280+ I've already cut some down)

L'année dernier, j'ai choisi passer mes grandes vacances à Rome et à Dubaï. J'y suis allé parce que j'avais besoin d'une pause de l'école.
Rome était très agréable, j'ai vu le Colisée. Je me rappelle que c'était hypnotisant et plutôt grand. J'ai acheté aussi des cartes postales, j'ai pris les photos moi-même.
Ma famille est allée avec moi, mais même si les vacances étaient uniquement pour les membres de la famille, ma souer aînée a apporté son amie.
On est partis le dix huit juin et nous sommes retournés le premier juillet. Nous avons prévu rester pour une mois mais mon école a dit "NON!"
J'ai voyagé en avion, je préfère voyager en bateau car c'est plus tranquille et reposant. Selon moi, le vol était supportable car il y avait la musique cependant je me sentais nerveux car j'ai le vertige.
On est restées dans un hôtel de cinq étoiles au rez-de-chaussée, alors c'était facilement accessibles à la piscine et à la salle de jeux.
Notre hôtel était pres de la plage. Il y avait un beau jardin. Il y avait un problème, èlle avait un accident pres de la piscine, quelqu'un a appelé la police, mais je ne sais pas pourqoi.
Dubaï était trop chaud, même s'il faisait chaud, j'ai apprécié les vacances car j'ai acheté beaucoup des cadeaux pour mes amis. La chaleur était empiré par le fait qu'il n'y avait pas de climatisation! Le lundi matin, il faisait 36 degrés, alliés avoir mangé à deux heures, il faisait 50 degrés! Dubaï était plus chaud qu'à Rome.
Le mardi matin, nous voulions manger dans un restaurant mais ils ont fermé comme il était Vendredi. Au lieu de ça, nous sommes allées à la plage mais il faisait trop chaud, alors nous sommes retournés à l'hôtel.
Mes vacances étaient très agréables. J'ai fait beaucoup de choses amusantes, surtout quand j'ai acheté des cadeaux. J'irai à Dubaï encore mais je préférerais d'aller en Australie. J'ai l'intention d'aller en Australie avec ma soeur, nous irons les vacances prochaines
J'irais aussi aux états-unis mais je n'ai pas beaucoup d'argent. Si j'aurais plus d'argent, j'y irais et je resterai chez Liam.

GCSE obviously, by the standard :smile: want an A*
Could someone who knows French take out anything that isn't great I need to shorten it to 250 words: (it's about 280+ I've already cut some down)

L'année dernier, j'ai choisi passer mes grandes vacances à Rome et à Dubaï. J'y suis allé parce que j'avais besoin d'une pause de l'école.
Rome était très agréable, j'ai vu le Colisée. Je me rappelle que c'était hypnotisant et plutôt grand. J'ai acheté aussi des cartes postales, j'ai pris les photos moi-même.
Ma famille est allée avec moi, mais même si les vacances étaient uniquement pour les membres de la famille, ma souer aînée a apporté son amie.
On est partis le dix huit juin et nous sommes retournés le premier juillet. Nous avons prévu rester pour une mois mais mon école a dit "NON!"
J'ai voyagé en avion, je préfère voyager en bateau car c'est plus tranquille et reposant. Selon moi, le vol était supportable car il y avait la musique cependant je me sentais nerveux car j'ai le vertige.
On est restées dans un hôtel de cinq étoiles au rez-de-chaussée, alors c'était facilement accessibles à la piscine et à la salle de jeux.
Notre hôtel était pres de la plage. Il y avait un beau jardin. Il y avait un problème, èlle avait un accident pres de la piscine, quelqu'un a appelé la police, mais je ne sais pas pourqoi.
Dubaï était trop chaud, même s'il faisait chaud, j'ai apprécié les vacances car j'ai acheté beaucoup des cadeaux pour mes amis. La chaleur était empiré par le fait qu'il n'y avait pas de climatisation! Le lundi matin, il faisait 36 degrés, alliés avoir mangé à deux heures, il faisait 50 degrés! Dubaï était plus chaud qu'à Rome.
Le mardi matin, nous voulions manger dans un restaurant mais ils ont fermé comme il était Vendredi. Au lieu de ça, nous sommes allées à la plage mais il faisait trop chaud, alors nous sommes retournés à l'hôtel.
Mes vacances étaient très agréables. J'ai fait beaucoup de choses amusantes, surtout quand j'ai acheté des cadeaux. J'irai à Dubaï encore mais je préférerais d'aller en Australie. J'ai l'intention d'aller en Australie avec ma soeur, nous irons les vacances prochaines
J'irais aussi aux états-unis mais je n'ai pas beaucoup d'argent. Si j'aurais plus d'argent, j'y irais et je resterai chez Liam.

Original post by shadab786ahmed

hmmm, just from glancing at it I think 'Au lieu de ça' isn't allowed in French because it is 'au lieu de + verb in the infinitive.... i think this is true but otherwise it seems good quality for GCSE. :smile:
we were told to do

yeah Edexcel do focus alot of marks on organisation. i've been told a structure so i'll try and follow it and what do you mean by three intermediate conclusions? like the other person asked?
Hiya, what do you mean exactly with '3 intermediate conclusions'? :smile:

like do a point then counter argument then a conclusion referring back to question, they didnt like that
Reply 39
Original post by Soph(:
Well in Spanish it was chacter and that was edexcel so v.unlikely it will be that I have a feeling it might be themes but you can never be too sure

I think themes came up in the last exam, didn't it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending