The Student Room Group

Edexcel Geography DME;The Olympics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by Skittle123
Heyyyyyyyy guys!!
Does anyone know how many marks i'd have to get in the higher paper for a C or for a B???

Its about
45---A*
41---A
37---B
33---C
Reply 341
Heyyyyyyyy guys!!
Does anyone know how many marks i'd have to get in the higher paper for a C or for a B???

For a C = 60/100 or 60% and for a B = 70/100 or 70% :smile:

Generally that is the way Geography exams are marked, so it's usually as Sam_1996 said for example 40/50 for an A, 45/50 for an A* and so forth!
Reply 342
Heyyyyyyyy guys!!

hey, you need to get 30 or more for a c and 35 or more for a b :smile:
Original post by Sam_1996
Its about
45---A*
41---A
37---B
33---C

Original post by Bixel
For a C = 60/100 or 60% and for a B = 70/100 or 70% :smile:

Ah thanks guys!!!
That's helpful!!

Do any of you know whether it's true that overall if you get a C in a higher paper and a C in a foundation paper and they took your C from the higher paper as your re sit mark, does that mean that you've got more overall marks??

^^ So basically getting a C in a higher exam is better than in a foundation exam??

:smile:
Original post by Zarah01
hey, you need to get 30 or more for a c and 35 or more for a b :smile:

Thanks!!

Yeah from what Bixel and Sam_1996 said i think i might need more marks for a C /:
Reply 345
Thanks!!

Yeah from what Bixel and Sam_1996 said i think i might need more marks for a C /:

I just wrote down the grade boundaries for the 2011 edexcel gcse DME on fishing
Reply 346
Ah thanks guys!!!
That's helpful!!

Do any of you know whether it's true that overall if you get a C in a higher paper and a C in a foundation paper and they took your C from the higher paper as your re sit mark, does that mean that you've got more overall marks??

^^ So basically getting a C in a higher exam is better than in a foundation exam??

im not sure about that it would depend on your exact mark, so if you got 68 on higher and 64 on foundation theyd use your higher mark, but only because it was higher ( like more haha)

i realised after typing that using higher in 2 senses was confusing haha :biggrin:
Ah thanks guys!!!
That's helpful!!

I reckon so, dont they usually take whichever mark is worth more if you've done a resit anyway? Apparently if you do well in coursework you can still get a b and sit all exams at foundation in geography edexcel anyway :smile:
Original post by Bixel
Sam_1996 has already marked this, but in terms of your answer for 2d, it's great, as you've clearly shown awareness that the 2012 Olympics was based on the 10 aims, and you've incorporated the achievement of the 10 aims into your answer and provided examples into how they've achieved such aims, so I'd give it 8/9 :smile: xx

yay! thanks :smile: xx
(3's up now x)
And here's 3 x

3a) (I chose option 5) - I feel that option 5 to create 10000 affordable homes is the best decision for Newham. This is because the people of Newham have very low incomes (fig 8) and so cannot afford expensive homes.
The young people in Newham in particular will struggle to afford homes as they will not have a lot of money due to having worked for a short time. This option provides flats and starter homes, perfect for young people buying their first home, as well as family homes for those still living with their parents.
As you can see in figure 5 Newham has a very youthful population so this option is also good as it has a wide target market. Option 6 however has a very niche market for the athletic and option 4 will result in expensive house prices which are neither ideal nor affordable for the people of Newham. Henceforth, option 5 is the best for Newham’s future.

3b) (I chose options 1 and 5) - option 1 is ideal for Newham. It will create a wide variety of unskilled and semi-skilled jobs which will suit the local people because (figure 10) a large percentage of people in Newham do not have any qualifications and (figure9a) a high proportion are unemployed. These jobs would lower unemployment and boost the economy. Also, the apprenticeships will allow young people to gain qualifications, which will boost the knowledge economy of Newham for the future.
When this option is combined with option 5, the overall situation in Newham can be greatly improved. 10000 affordable homes will be built which is important for Newham. This is because it has a youthful population (fig 5) who will soon be looking to buy homes on a fairly low budget. The flats and starter homes will be ideal for this as on average they also have very low income (figure 8) and could not afford the expensive houses created in option 4.
Also, the high quality homes would be perfect for a few high - quality workers. These would be able to have highly skilled jobs such as researchers and managers created in option 1 and will be able to afford the more expensive homes with these higher salaries.
Option 2 would not be the best for Newham because the jobs required would be more professional and (fig 10) the people of Newham are not qualified enough to fulfil these jobs. Options 3 and 6 would also not directly benefit the people of Newham due to a niche athletic market. Therefore, options 1 and 5 are the best to improve Newham’s future.
Reply 350
the grade boundaries are the same every year:

Higher:

90%+ for A*
80%-89% for A
70%-79% for B
60%-69% for C
50%-59 for D

Im not sure about the foundation, but i know the max. marks is 69 so Id imagine its

60-69 marks C
50-59 marks D
40-49 marks E
etc...
Original post by Sam_1996
q2
a 2/2
b 2/2
c 4/6
d 8/9

thank you! :smile: x
can i ask what i can do to get the extra 2 marks in part C? x
Original post by Rhubarb1
im not sure about that it would depend on your exact mark, so if you got 68 on higher and 64 on foundation theyd use your higher mark, but only because it was higher ( like more haha)

i realised after typing that using higher in 2 senses was confusing haha :biggrin:

Original post by Jengineer95
I reckon so, dont they usually take whichever mark is worth more if you've done a resit anyway? Apparently if you do well in coursework you can still get a b and sit all exams at foundation in geography edexcel anyway :smile:

@Rhubarb LOOOOL yeah it was a tad confusing, (but then again i was quite amazed that you were able to read my writing- im sooo tired!! :eek:) However, THANKSS!!!!!! :smile:

@Jengineer95 (coolnamebtw) Yeah they do, and yeah i guess so :smile: Thanks :P
Reply 353
Original post by Rhubarb1
the grade boundaries are the same every year:

Higher:

90%+ for A*
80%-89% for A
70%-79% for B
60%-69% for C
50%-59 for D

Im not sure about the foundation, but i know the max. marks is 69 so Id imagine its

60-69 marks C
50-59 marks D
40-49 marks E
etc...

i thought that the paper was out out of 50
Reply 354
Original post by sophiekutie
And here's 3 x

3a) (I chose option 5) - I feel that option 5 to create 10000 affordable homes is the best decision for Newham. This is because the people of Newham have very low incomes (fig 8) and so cannot afford expensive homes.
The young people in Newham in particular will struggle to afford homes as they will not have a lot of money due to having worked for a short time. This option provides flats and starter homes, perfect for young people buying their first home, as well as family homes for those still living with their parents.
As you can see in figure 5 Newham has a very youthful population so this option is also good as it has a wide target market. Option 6 however has a very niche market for the athletic and option 4 will result in expensive house prices which are neither ideal nor affordable for the people of Newham. Henceforth, option 5 is the best for Newham’s future.

3b) (I chose options 1 and 5) - option 1 is ideal for Newham. It will create a wide variety of unskilled and semi-skilled jobs which will suit the local people because (figure 10) a large percentage of people in Newham do not have any qualifications and (figure9a) a high proportion are unemployed. These jobs would lower unemployment and boost the economy. Also, the apprenticeships will allow young people to gain qualifications, which will boost the knowledge economy of Newham for the future.
When this option is combined with option 5, the overall situation in Newham can be greatly improved. 10000 affordable homes will be built which is important for Newham. This is because it has a youthful population (fig 5) who will soon be looking to buy homes on a fairly low budget. The flats and starter homes will be ideal for this as on average they also have very low income (figure 8) and could not afford the expensive houses created in option 4.
Also, the high quality homes would be perfect for a few high - quality workers. These would be able to have highly skilled jobs such as researchers and managers created in option 1 and will be able to afford the more expensive homes with these higher salaries.
Option 2 would not be the best for Newham because the jobs required would be more professional and (fig 10) the people of Newham are not qualified enough to fulfil these jobs. Options 3 and 6 would also not directly benefit the people of Newham due to a niche athletic market. Therefore, options 1 and 5 are the best to improve Newham’s future.

3a is great, I'd give it 6/6 as you've described a good argument with plenty of advantages for your option as well as describing the disadvantages of the other options, you may want to write a little bit more in your conclusive statement e.g. "Henceforth, option 5 is the best for Newham’s future because it provides..." but don't introduce any more points in your conclusion, only summarise what you've said! :biggrin:

3b is also good, you've understood the advantages of both options and the disavtanges of the others, and included figures :P I'd give it an 8/9, you could say more statistics e.g. percentages or include more depth for one or two points e.g. "Also, the apprenticeships will allow young people to gain qualifications, which will boost the knowledge economy of Newham for the future... and create a stronger workforce for Newham" it just helps to bump things up sometimes with one or two more terminologies :P xx
Original post by Bixel
Sam_1996 has already marked this, but in terms of your answer for 2d, it's great, as you've clearly shown awareness that the 2012 Olympics was based on the 10 aims, and you've incorporated the achievement of the 10 aims into your answer and provided examples into how they've achieved such aims, so I'd give it 8/9 :smile: xx

Thanks Bixel! x

can i ask where i dropped the mark (i'm not being moany, just wanna improve) :smile: x
Original post by Bixel
3a is great, I'd give it 6/6 as you've described a good argument with plenty of advantages for your option as well as describing the disadvantages of the other options, you may want to write a little bit more in your conclusive statement e.g. "Henceforth, option 5 is the best for Newham’s future because it provides..." but don't introduce any more points in your conclusion, only summarise what you've said! :biggrin:

oooh! cool thanks!! i wanted to write more for that, but didn't really know how! :biggrin: thanks! x

Original post by Bixel
3b is also good, you've understood the advantages of both options and the disavtanges of the others, and included figures :P I'd give it an 8/9, you could say more statistics e.g. percentages or include more depth for one or two points e.g. "Also, the apprenticeships will allow young people to gain qualifications, which will boost the knowledge economy of Newham for the future... and create a stronger workforce for Newham" it just helps to bump things up sometimes with one or two more terminologies :P xx

yay!! thank you!! soo helpful to have someone else look ar you work for you :smile: i'm gonna total up now :smile: xx
Reply 357
Original post by sophiekutie
Thanks Bixel! x

can i ask where i dropped the mark (i'm not being moany, just wanna improve) :smile: x

Of course no problem! Likewise with me, you could introduce some statistics to back up your argument e.g. "Housing prices (9) if anything, have risen, namely in the surrounding areas of the Olympic park, house prices have risen between 35% and 70% since winning the bid for the Olympic Games :biggrin: xx
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 358
Original post by Bixel
Eh I suppose the general notion of repeating ourselves isn't good for the examiners to read, but we're never penalized in these Geography exams as it states in the start of the resource booklet, we can only gain marks for what we do say, rather than be penalized for what we don't! :P

That's true, we just got told that we were likely to get more points if we used different ideas for each question, but I suppose if you don't have any other ideas to write about you could repeat yourself, just be careful that you use different wording, and perhaps interpret the idea differently than you did in a question before.
Original post by Bixel
Of course no problem! Likewise with me, you could introduce some statistics to back up your argument e.g. "Housing prices (9) if anything, have risen, namely in the surrounding areas of the Olympic park, house prices have risen between 35% and 70% since winning the bid for the Olympic Games :biggrin: xx

Ahhh thank you so much! :biggrin:

i got 45/50! whoop! now i just need the paper tomorrow to be EXACTLY like that! :biggrin: xx

P.S, i really wanna +1 all of your posts! but it won't let me :frown: so i'm just gonna do this one and some others tomorrow :smile: xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending