The Student Room Group

OCR Geography NEA

Hi there,
My daughter is beginning her OCR NEA. She hasn’t decided exactly yet the topic or title but is exploring both carbon & water cycle options. Initially she was going to do Human as this is where she has always had a natural slant towards but advice seems to be to get the higher marks to do Physical.. is this correct? Has anyone here successfully combined both Physical & Human doing these topics and do they have to do comparative locations/sites ? Does it have to be that specific? Many thanks for any advice I can impart 😊
Hi, I have already done my OCR NEA Geography!

To get higher marks, doesn't necessarily mean doing BOTH Human and Physical. I believe getting higher marks is to:
- Have an in-depth intro and literature review on the topic.
- Be extremely analytic in their work.
- Master evaluation of their investigation (this carries a LOT of marks!)
- ALSO, practice time-management well. I sent me 40 mins late so yeah, be careful on your time.
- ALWAYS reference, practicing on referencing can make your NEA professional and gain you a lot of marks.

- My NEA was "Exploring and assessing the design principles and objectives of Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, Stratford," and yes I had to compare North and South Park. I recommended doing a comparison, as it shows a depth of your NEA, however this depends on your question.
- There is a niche when finding the right question. It must not be too vague as it will be very time-consuming and there will be too much breadth over depth (bad example is "Assessing the regeneration of Stratford."), however, it mustn't be too detailed either as it will lack information and may not fit the context of Geography (bad example is "Evaluating the NPP of one parksite in North Park, Stratford)"

Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by GoldenAriesAndy
Hi, I have already done my OCR NEA Geography!

To get higher marks, doesn't necessarily mean doing BOTH Human and Physical. I believe getting higher marks is to:
- Have an in-depth intro and literature review on the topic.
- Be extremely analytic in their work.
- Master evaluation of their investigation (this carries a LOT of marks!)
- ALSO, practice time-management well. I sent me 40 mins late so yeah, be careful on your time.
- ALWAYS reference, practicing on referencing can make your NEA professional and gain you a lot of marks.

- My NEA was "Exploring and assessing the design principles and objectives of Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, Stratford," and yes I had to compare North and South Park. I recommended doing a comparison, as it shows a depth of your NEA, however this depends on your question.
- There is a niche when finding the right question. It must not be too vague as it will be very time-consuming and there will be too much breadth over depth (bad example is "Assessing the regeneration of Stratford."), however, it mustn't be too detailed either as it will lack information and may not fit the context of Geography (bad example is "Evaluating the NPP of one parksite in North Park, Stratford)"

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! That is super helpful and I really appreciate how you have explained how it is imperative the Question is neither too vague or too restrictive. Your NEA topic sounds very interesting and I hope you got a great result!
:smile: Thanks! I hope your daughter does well in her NEA!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending