The Student Room Group

Fallen through the "Progression Cracks"

Right, I'll try and keep this relatively short and sweet.

I've just completed my HND in Computer Aided Design at Carnegie College Dunfermline, and have applied with offers to Universities across the UK.

The one course I felt was a direct follow-on from my HND CAD was the Computer Aided Mechanical Engineering course at Glasgow Caledonian University. So seeing as the funding companies view a HND as being Yr 2, I applied to GCU for year 2... And got rejected.

The other courses I applied for were more based around Motorsport Technology, and I have been (and accepted) my conditional YEAR ONE offer for Oxford Brookes...

So as you can see, a HND Yr 2 course onto a Uni Yr 1 course is not viewed as progression. (And I'm sceptical that if I apply to move my entry to year 2 (Not that I want to for various social and academic reasons) that if I got a conditional offer for year 1, my chances of getting year 2 entry are severely slim, if not, non existent)

After much contact with SAAS, they've reaffirmed that I will not be eligible for tuition funding, and the most i'll get is a living costs loan in the region of 5k.

So really what I'm hoping by posting this is, has anyone had this sort of problem before, what was your solution? Or are you someone in the know who may be able to direct me in the right direction regarding this issue?
Original post by JayMac
Well this site's been a whole world of good. Thanks everyone who offered help. Sadly, It seems i'm destined to be forced out of education thanks to a number of things, but your efforts and suggestions have been truly appreciated.

Well, what do you want us to say?

This website is fast-paced, if your thread fails to be answered, bump it.

If SAAS have said that, then that is it. You can pay your tuition fees from your student loan, and work as much as possible. You can ask relatives for a loan. Or you can take time out, work, and save up to pay the tuition fees.
Original post by JayMac
Well this site's been a whole world of good. Thanks everyone who offered help. Sadly, It seems i'm destined to be forced out of education thanks to a number of things, but your efforts and suggestions have been truly appreciated.

The level of entitlement you display speaks volumes. **** off.
Reply 3
Original post by CyclopsRock

You call it entitlement, I call it frustration that no one made any attempt to make any form of suggestion of help. But alas, I will heed your advice.
Original post by CyclopsRock

+Rep. Exactly.
Original post by JayMac
You call it entitlement, I call it frustration that no one made any attempt to make any form of suggestion of help. But alas, I will heed your advice.

Or maybe it's that no-one was able to help because they don't know enough about the system?
Reply 6
Original post by Historophilia
Or maybe it's that no-one was able to help because they don't know enough about the system?

I find it hard to believe I'm the only person to come up against this sort of thing - And yes, maybe I vented my frustration quite cynically to which I apologise. But nonetheless, It's very difficult to imagine that no one has came across such a predicament.
Original post by JayMac
I find it hard to believe I'm the only person to come up against this sort of thing - And yes, maybe I vented my frustration quite cynically to which I apologise. But nonetheless, It's very difficult to imagine that no one has came across such a predicament.

I gave you options in my first post...
Reply 8
Original post by JayMac

Wait a year, save up money and reapply to Callie? It's only two grand for fees.
Reply 9
Original post by flown_muse
I gave you options in my first post...

I know you did, and I am grateful for them. But would you have made that suggestion had I not been essentially, a dick?

Original post by Norton1
Wait a year, save up money and reapply to Callie? It's only two grand for fees.

Only 2k? - you've lost me with that.

I'll re-check their site but I was sure It was 9k. (Also, Are you saying apply for Y1?)
Reply 10
Original post by JayMac
Only 2k? - you've lost me with that.

I'll re-check their site but I was sure It was 9k. (Also, Are you saying apply for Y1?)

Yeah apply to year one. I'm not entirely clear on the fees situation but if you're a Scottish student it should only be what home students pay. Best bet is to phone them tomorrow.

I'm not 100% sure it'll be that but maybe 80%?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Norton1
Yeah apply to year one. I'm not entirely clear on the fees situation but if you're a Scottish student it should only be what home students pay. Best bet is to phone them tomorrow.

Just checked their fees, It's 7k.

I dunno if i'm entitled to claim it as an "end-on" course which would allow me to pay 2009 fees. I'll check into that. Cheers.
Reply 12
Original post by JayMac
Just checked their fees, It's 7k.

I dunno if i'm entitled to claim it as an "end-on" course which would allow me to pay 2009 fees. I'll check into that. Cheers.

Can you show me the link you've followed for the 7k thing?
Reply 13
http://www.gcu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/search/search.php?d=1&st=k&k=mechanical&t=ug&l=uk&at=all&p=1&tab=dummy&sm[]=all&type[]=all&sort=rank&order=desc

http://tinyurl.com/d9vzx7g

Should be the top one.

(Had to tinyurl it because the site doesn't like those brackets)
Reply 14
Original post by JayMac
http://www.gcu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/search/search.php?d=1&st=k&k=mechanical&t=ug&l=uk&at=all&p=1&tab=dummy&sm[]=all&type[]=all&sort=rank&order=desc

http://tinyurl.com/d9vzx7g

Should be the top one.

(Had to tinyurl it because the site doesn't like those brackets)

Ah, looks like it's due to the course it is. Contact them anyway and see what they say. You'll be able to pay in instalments and stuff, contact the Uni and see what options the finance office can give you.
Reply 15
Original post by Norton1
Ah, looks like it's due to the course it is. Contact them anyway and see what they say. You'll be able to pay in instalments and stuff, contact the Uni and see what options the finance office can give you.

If they're anything like Oxford Brookes (where I was initially trying to get to) then I'll be able to pay half of it in the september and half in the january of that academic year.

I was kind of resigned to the fact that I'd have to take the year out and try and earn it. But one thing I wasn't entirely sure on is if i earn over the 21k threshold, and thus start paying back SLC for the loans i've had for my HND, would I be entitled to apply for funding at anypoint later in life? E.g. Year 2 of that uni course?
Reply 16
Original post by JayMac
If they're anything like Oxford Brookes (where I was initially trying to get to) then I'll be able to pay half of it in the september and half in the january of that academic year.

I was kind of resigned to the fact that I'd have to take the year out and try and earn it. But one thing I wasn't entirely sure on is if i earn over the 21k threshold, and thus start paying back SLC for the loans i've had for my HND, would I be entitled to apply for funding at anypoint later in life? E.g. Year 2 of that uni course?

I have no idea. I think you'd still be entitled but I don't know for sure.
Reply 17
If I can get hold of Saas, I'll keep that in mind as well then. Cheers mate.

+Rep
another thing to consider is that despite you having a Level 5 qualification if you are getting year 1 offers from other courses they obviously don't think you've covered enough subject relevant material at level 4 and 5 ...

i don't thionk you've fallen through a progression crack here, you are wanting a second crack at funding for a different subject rather than follow on to HND top -up
Reply 19
Original post by zippyRN
another thing to consider is that despite you having a Level 5 qualification if you are getting year 1 offers from other courses they obviously don't think you've covered enough subject relevant material at level 4 and 5 ...

i don't thionk you've fallen through a progression crack here, you are wanting a second crack at funding for a different subject rather than follow on to HND top -up

I've argued that so many times mate. My last phonecall to SAAS lasted all but 3 minutes with them saying "Sorry but that's the rules" or words to that effect.

It was a 2 Year HND, made up of a HNC and a HND, so I've been funded for 2 years.

But as you rightly said, (And i could even compare my HNC/HND Modules to that of the year 1 modules of the course I want) I don't have enough to quantify me going into Year 2.

So really it should be considered a "new avenue" which I thought would be funded but so far, with the number of phonecalls i've made to them, it doesnt appear to be that way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending