The Student Room Group

Race for life...sexist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DotComBoom
It makes me think the same of Loose Women. If we had a show with men talking in a derogatory manner about women, it'd be taken off air within a day!
If they took the piss out of the idiots on Loose women I'd watch!
Reply 41
Original post by medbh4805
In my city there is a hospice which has two separate charity 5 mile walk/runs - one for men and one for women.

The womens' only one has 5x more participants. (source) I don't know why, but I imagine this factors into it - women are more likely to get involved, and making it women-only adds an extra incentive, and thereby increasing the charity's revenue.

How does that add 'extra incentive' in any way?
Reply 42
Original post by Florence321
You guys have Movember!

We're not stopping you participating.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by noisy06
It is hypocrisy, but we're male, and therefore more rational and logical than women, we can't expect women to see it our way, and we certainly cannot rely on them to campaign on our behalf. They are not up to the job. We are their protectors and maintainers.

A tad elitist, but hey, it's your opinion.
The saddest thing is they are limiting the money they can raise, and therefore compromise the amount of support they give, because of some backward principle made by people who don't understand the true concept of feminism.
You guys have Movember!

Us ladies have Fanurary
Original post by Pinkhead
How does that add 'extra incentive' in any way?

Some women are intimidated by male participants who can be more competitive about things (whether this is justified or not is another question), and making it into a 'girly' event can mean that women who would otherwise be put off might feel more comfortable about taking part. Is this not obvious?
WTH men can get breast cancer too? Does that mean that men who are about to die of breast cancer or have survived breast cancer aren't allowed to run? Bullcrap.
Original post by hajinator
WTH men can get breast cancer too? Does that mean that men who are about to die of breast cancer or have survived breast cancer aren't allowed to run? Bullcrap.

What's to stop them from setting up their own event?
Reply 49
I'm sure it's done ostensibly with the best intentions; maybe they don't want the runners (who often aren't traditional marathon runners) to feel self-conscious, even though there are men in the crowd. Or maybe they think it creates more of a relaxed atmosphere, if they suspect that testosterone-filled men would be intent on turning it into a competition. I don't know, but either way, there's no way that a 'white people only' marathon would be acceptable, so why should this be different? There has to be a level of consistency.
The organisers were pushed on this a while ago and were forced to admit that men aren't banned exactly, but may find the atmosphere uncomfortable. It has always struck me as a bit odd, but has probably been as excellent money-spinner.

On a humourous note: in an attempt to find them saying this (I failed, by the way), I started to search 'race for life are men b...' and the option is gave me was 'race for life are men bastards'. :rofl:
OP, I agree with you. Unfortunately, the whole sexism argument - ironically - is more favoured towards women, so when something is sexist towards men, it doesn't get sorted.

Original post by LP-FTW
I think both men and women should race. Cancer is a horrible thing and both sexes suffer from it. It is very unfair that it is only for women.

OR...it could be a revenge thing from women, how they were treated badly in the past and now they want to get back!

Either way, they're sexist.

Are you saying women running the race for life could be doing so for revenge? ...
Original post by scorpion95
Yeah I think it is sexist, but surely if men were allowed to participate then they would raise a lot more money, men wouldn't be able to ban women from something like that EOC and women would be all up in arms but because it is men they are banning then it is alright, there are double standards, EOC is a joke, men and women are different which means they aren't equal and will never be equal so there is no point trying to make it happen

Being different doesn't mean they can't be equal ffs, are you an idiot? Being equal doesn't equate to being the same.
Original post by slylee
My sister and her friend run in the race for life event yesterday and I noticed almost no men at the event, just a few sitting in chairs or cheering someone on. I decided to do a little research and it turns out men are banned from this event? how can anyone be banned from a charity event? Men suffer from cancers, aswell as having loved ones die from cancer, yet they can't show their support by running in it?

I found a generic response from an organiser and it was along the lines of "Our participants wish to keep it a female only event....how is that fair? so us men can simply ban women from whichever thing we want, aslong as the majority of participants are male?

I also read its wikipedia page, a man complained about it being sexist and he was instantly ignored by equal opportunities commission...wtf?

What do you guys think?

Man aren't exactly banned, yes they can't enter but thats because its about women running/walking to raise money for women's cancers, it's not really sexist. There are many charities that are solely for men's cancers.
Only on TSR can a charity event be deemed racist.
I don't really agree with the amount of attention that breast cancer gets to be honest.

Before that looks inflammatory, let me explain: The often quoted statistic is that 1/3 women in their life-time will get breast cancer. That is outright scaremongering. While it's true statistically, half of the people who end up suffering from that breast cancer will be 65+, where they are at a point where they are just as likely to die from complications due to cancer as they are old age. By the time you get to 75+, 95% of the people who will suffer from that cancer (1/3 women) will die due to natural causes long before cancer becomes an issue. They also generalise all of the types of breast cancer together - there are different levels and severities, just as there are with most cancers.

I can't remember the exact amount, but I think somewhere between 40-50% (possibly more) of the money spent on cancer awareness, research etc, is appropriated toward breast cancer. There are many much more dangerous and progressive cancers such as pancreatic, lung cancer, etc. Prostate cancer is on average more deadly than breast cancer but has just as high a chance of going into remission and a normal life led if caught early, but it receives less than 5% of the cancer "budget". The reason it is more deadly is because it doesn't receive anywhere near as much funding or attention.

I'm not one of those people trying to chalk one up for the inequality column, but I think it's ridiculous to exclude people from trying to raise money to help combat an illness just because 90% of the people suffering from it belong to your gender. I've met a patient who was suffering from breast cancer and he was male. I would be incensed if someone told me I couldn't support him or raise awareness of him because my junk pointed outward instead of inward.
Original post by Picture~Perfect
Man aren't exactly banned, yes they can't enter but thats because its about women running/walking to raise money for women's cancers, it's not really sexist. There are many charities that are solely for men's cancers.

Men can suffer from breast cancer.
Original post by TwilightKnight
Men can suffer from breast cancer.

I know that, thats way I didn't specify a particular cancer instead I said women's cancers. I meant women with cancer rather than breast cancer or cervical cancer.
Reply 58
Original post by Picture~Perfect

It's for all types of cancers, it did start purely for breast cancer but they opened it up all to all cancers, I also find it funny that their slogan is "All of us V cancer" apprantly that means just women. Either way no one should be banned from a charity event, I might not be female but I might want to run in my nans memory and the same goes for women wanting to run in their husband,brother or sons memory, at the end of the day it's more money for a chairty that needs it.
Reply 59
You guys have Movember!

Girls can do that too...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending