The Student Room Group

Glasgow vs Heriot-Watt (maybe someone know admissions office email?)

I know that is kind of stupid question, but I looked at bestcourse4me.com and I saw that Glasgow CS and Heriot-Watt CS statistics are pretty similar. In Edinburgh I'll have a place where to live and transport how get in it (I am living in Lithuania). This is why I am thinking that maybe studying in Heriot-Watt will be better for me. And some friends told me that Glasgow is kind of dangerous city. What do you think?
P.S. Maybe someone knows Heriot-Watt admissions office email? Or only by mobile phone I can contact them? Because I want to ask couple questions about conditional offer.
Original post by werlex
I know that is kind of stupid question, but I looked at bestcourse4me.com and I saw that Glasgow CS and Heriot-Watt CS statistics are pretty similar. In Edinburgh I'll have a place where to live and transport how get in it (I am living in Lithuania). This is why I am thinking that maybe studying in Heriot-Watt will be better for me. And some friends told me that Glasgow is kind of dangerous city. What do you think?
P.S. Maybe someone knows Heriot-Watt admissions office email? O only by mobile phone I can contact them? Because I want to ask couple questions about conditional offer.

Glasgow isn't dangerous unless you join a gang or start taking herion, both of which I don't recommend.
Glasgow uni is in the city, so you've got everything (shops, restaurants, clubs) on your door step. HW is a campus uni on the outskirts of Edinburgh so its quieter but all the uni stuff is all together. Both very different. If the courses are similar you just have to decide whether you'd rather a city uni or campus uni.
Reply 2
If i'm honest I think Glasgow is better for CS than HW. Although Edinburgh uni is better than both.
Reply 3
CS wise, Edinburgh is probably one of the top three or four places in the UK and Ireland to study it. Glasgow isn't far behind though- between them and St Andrews, Scotland probably has three of the best ten or 12 places around- the main difference is Edinburgh's department is huuuuge and has just moved into a massive new building. To put things into perspective, Glasgow's is the second-largest department in Scotland and one of the UK's ten largest. Edinburgh's is three times larger, and 50% larger than the next largest in the UK, and bigger than Oxford and Cambridge's put together. HW, while still good, probably isn't as renowned for that as those three in Scotland, but the setting is very different. 7 miles from the city centre in a concrete-ish campus, or in the West End of the UK's third largest city with lots of old buildings. If HW is the best choice for you, I don't think it'll hold you back, put it that way.

(oh, and despite being a historian now, when I originally went to university, it was to do computer science. I didn't like it, but I'm sure my old flatmate likes his 43k a year salary within three years of graduation)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Well as the above stated I can also say from someone who is now starting his 2nd year at Glasgow is the uni and course are both excellent. The staff are also very friendly and helpful. I would really recommend it. But please visit both before you chose, don't go by what people say themselves go and visit and decide by that. Good luck man.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending