The Student Room Group

Help me choose my universities!

I applied for:
- University of Glasgow
- University of Sheffield
- University of Southampton
- Newcastle University
- Heriot-Watt University

I am an international student, best to say that I love city feeling over rural areas (I changed Sheffield with Lancaster for this) and perhaps cost of living plays a big part too? I don't really care about nightlife though. I applied to computer science/SE programmes there. What are your insights? What about employability for international students doing part-time jobs?
Reply 1
If you're looking for a city feel then it's Sheffield over Lancaster not the other way round. Cost of living in Sheffield is also one of the best.
Reply 2
Original post by Makro
If you're looking for a city feel then it's Sheffield over Lancaster not the other way round. Cost of living in Sheffield is also one of the best.

Thanks a lot. I am currently considering both Glasgow and Sheffield as both provides the city feeling, for now I'll keep your suggestion in mind.
Hiya!
Even though Lancaster definitely isn’t a big city it’s pretty close to Manchester so you can visit for weekends if you wanted big city vibes. We also have a large international community at the university. Plus it’s super close to the lakes and well connected to Glasgow, Liverpool, Manchester, Edinburgh by public transport. Campus is pretty and peaceful.
(I know you haven’t applied to the uni but just in case)
Ella 😁 (MSci grad)
Reply 4
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hiya!
Even though Lancaster definitely isn’t a big city it’s pretty close to Manchester so you can visit for weekends if you wanted big city vibes. We also have a large international community at the university. Plus it’s super close to the lakes and well connected to Glasgow, Liverpool, Manchester, Edinburgh by public transport. Campus is pretty and peaceful.
(I know you haven’t applied to the uni but just in case)
Ella 😁 (MSci grad)

Definitely! I've looked bits into Lancaster University and to be honest, I loved it although I was hesitant at first! Thanks for the insight :biggrin:
Original post by AverageStuden
I applied for:
- University of Glasgow
- University of Sheffield
- University of Southampton
- Newcastle University
- Heriot-Watt University

I am an international student, best to say that I love city feeling over rural areas (I changed Sheffield with Lancaster for this) and perhaps cost of living plays a big part too? I don't really care about nightlife though. I applied to computer science/SE programmes there. What are your insights? What about employability for international students doing part-time jobs?

Hi!

I'm hoping I can give some insight into what Heriot is like as I'm a second-year Computer Science (Artificial intelligence) student. However, if I miss anything or you think of anything please feel free to ask more questions!

For the city feeling we definitely have that. Heriot is about a 30-40-minute bus ride into the heart of Edinburgh which is the most gorgeous city. I've been here for 2 years now and I still haven't explored everything it has to offer. With the Young Scot Card which you can apply for when you're here all bus travel is free so I was popping into Edinburgh almost everyday last year.

Our campus being 40-mins out is a bonus to me but it is really personal preference. It stopped me from hoping into the city between lectures which meant I got all my work done in the day and that I stayed on top of it. I also really liked it because all your lecture halls and classes are on one big site so you're not trekking around a city to get from class to class. I also found that the site felt so secure because of it being a campus university. The whole campus is very green with so many trees and with that loads of animals too. I've seen deer, rabbits, a lot of squirrels and much more in my time here. I know you said that more of a city person so that might not be for you but I found after a day in a big city some nature is really calming and nice. But like I said wanting a campus/city university is a personal preference.

For cost of living, honestly, it's crazy everywhere right now but luckily Heriot does help us out. Here is a link outlining what resources are available to help out with all the price increases (including my favourite free soup Thursdays) https://www.hw.ac.uk/uk/students/money/uk/cost-of-living.htm

We also have a budgeting guide which might give you a good idea of the general cost https://www.hw.ac.uk/uk/students/money/uk/budgeting.htm

For employability, you've got loads of options. With Edinburgh being so close a lot of my friends have jobs in the city and because Edinburgh is a hugely student-based city a lot of companies understand that you've got university commitments and work around that for you. However, if you want a job a bit closer the university offers loads of jobs and they put all your hours completely around your study and I've met loads of friends getting jobs through the university as well.

I understand it's a very stressful choice but trust yourself that you'll make the right one! All of the Universities you've chosen I've heard good things about so you can't go too far wrong. If you want to know more about computer science at Heriot-Watt or anything please ask away! :smile:

- Jessica
2nd-year Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending