The Student Room Group

Think I've really messed up!

During my Uni applications I applied for 3 Unis that I knew I probably wouldn't want to go to, these were far from home.

The two that I really wanted (Glasgow or Strathclyde) had Masters courses available for my subject (Computing) as well as BSc. I stupidly applied for the Masters courses hoping that I would get conditional offers based on the results of my upcoming exams. I already met the entry retirements for the BSc courses.

Now, I've been rejected for both Masters courses as others have met the entry requirements already.

I feel so stupid, I really don't want to move away from home for Uni but that seems like the only option left, I also think my mental health will suffer by being away from home.

I'm told it's unlikely that Strathclyde or Glasgow Computing will go into Clearing.

I just don't know what to do.
Wait I'm confused- by masters do you mean an integrated masters course? Did you not apply with predicted grades that matched the entry requirements?
Reply 2
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
Wait I'm confused- by masters do you mean an integrated masters course? Did you not apply with predicted grades that matched the entry requirements?

Yes, predicted grades along with my results from last year would meet the entry requirements.
Reply 3
Original post by Foxlea
Yes, predicted grades along with my results from last year would meet the entry requirements.

The sickening thing is if I'd applied for the BSc I already met the entry requirements.
Original post by Foxlea
During my Uni applications I applied for 3 Unis that I knew I probably wouldn't want to go to, these were far from home.

The two that I really wanted (Glasgow or Strathclyde) had Masters courses available for my subject (Computing) as well as BSc. I stupidly applied for the Masters courses hoping that I would get conditional offers based on the results of my upcoming exams. I already met the entry retirements for the BSc courses.

Now, I've been rejected for both Masters courses as others have met the entry requirements already.

I feel so stupid, I really don't want to move away from home for Uni but that seems like the only option left, I also think my mental health will suffer by being away from home.

I'm told it's unlikely that Strathclyde or Glasgow Computing will go into Clearing.

Take the year out or wait for clearing.
Original post by Foxlea
The sickening thing is if I'd applied for the BSc I already met the entry requirements.

Also ask them if they have spaces left in that one.
Reply 6
Original post by random_matt
Take the year out or wait for clearing.

I was told by Strathclyde that Computing hasn't been in Clearing for the last 5 years.
Reply 7
Also ask them if they have spaces left in that one.

Tried that, that they said it goes against UCAS rules to do that.
Original post by Foxlea
Tried that, that they said it goes against UCAS rules to do that.

What are the course names?
Reply 9
What are the course names?

Computing Science - applied for the MEng and MSci. Should have applied for the BSc.
Original post by Foxlea
Computing Science - applied for the MEng and MSci. Should have applied for the BSc.

https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/courses/c8ac6e10-cde2-e118-46f8-e17d19a6833d?academicYearId=2023
Still spaces, go ahead and apply through extra or whatever.

Glasgow is a no go.

Obviously you can apply for a masters after three years. You lose nothing by doing the BSc.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 11
https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/courses/c8ac6e10-cde2-e118-46f8-e17d19a6833d?academicYearId=2023
Still spaces, go ahead and apply through extra or whatever.

Glasgow is a no go.

What is "extra"?
Original post by Foxlea
What is "extra"?

I assumed you applied through UCAS?
Reply 13
I assumed you applied through UCAS?

Yes
Original post by Foxlea
Yes

Apply then if you so wish. Extra is when you have used all five options and have not got an offer. You can then apply for another university, one at a time.
Original post by Foxlea

Hi! I went through clearing last year to get my place at Heriot-Watt studying Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence) and I would say for now start looking through and seeing what universities you like the look of and also try not to put too much pressure on yourself. I get that it's very stressful but these things do work out whether you take a gap year of find somewhere through clearing.

One of my flatmates lives in Glasgow and while he loves it here he also tends to go back most weekends to hang out with his family and friends back home too. From Edinburgh Waverly it's about a 40min train ride or from the Curriehill stop it's an hour train ride but that stop is walkable from the Uni so no need for any buses.

I think the main thing is to do what you think feels right. I was really nervous moving up away from home but I've really loved the whole experience so far. But if you feel that moving away from home might be too much right now a gap year is perfectly fine to take and you may get some really valuable experience out of it.

If you have any questions about Heriot or the clearing process feel free to ask!

- Jessica
1st year Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)
Reply 16
Original post by HWU StudentRep 3
Hi! I went through clearing last year to get my place at Heriot-Watt studying Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence) and I would say for now start looking through and seeing what universities you like the look of and also try not to put too much pressure on yourself. I get that it's very stressful but these things do work out whether you take a gap year of find somewhere through clearing.

One of my flatmates lives in Glasgow and while he loves it here he also tends to go back most weekends to hang out with his family and friends back home too. From Edinburgh Waverly it's about a 40min train ride or from the Curriehill stop it's an hour train ride but that stop is walkable from the Uni so no need for any buses.

I think the main thing is to do what you think feels right. I was really nervous moving up away from home but I've really loved the whole experience so far. But if you feel that moving away from home might be too much right now a gap year is perfectly fine to take and you may get some really valuable experience out of it.

If you have any questions about Heriot or the clearing process feel free to ask!

- Jessica
1st year Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

Thanks very much, that's reassuring.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending