The Student Room Group

A Summer of Maths

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ben-smith

By the way, do you know about James Binney's lectures? (direct link to QM video lectures)
The complete behaviour of a physical system:
e9abc176b5cb86fcf1e04371f5586df9.png

Tell that isn't beautiful :tongue:

Fine :rolleyes:

I have a strong dislike for applied maths - the real world is boring. :smile:
Original post by jack.hadamard

I fixed what I had overlooked with the fct. eq. and now have a flawless proof/solution (or so it seems) - so I can finally answer your question: yes the solution is simple. This will be embarrassing if I wake up tomorrow and realise yet another inconsistency! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jack.hadamard
By the way, do you know about James Binney's lectures? (direct link to QM video lectures)

Where do you think the quote in my sig comes from?
The complete behaviour of a physical system:
e9abc176b5cb86fcf1e04371f5586df9.png

Tell that isn't beautiful :tongue:

that alone isnt the beauty, but looking at the different forms the equations take in different co-ordinate systems is the epitome of attraction for me!
Reply 385
In the Cambridge maths booklet had troubles with x*2-x-1. Never come across this before. Thanks in advance

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One S
Original post by iluvmaths
that alone isnt the beauty, but looking at the different forms the equations take in different co-ordinate systems is the epitome of attraction for me!

isn't the point that it takes the same form in all coordinate systems?
They aren't called generalised coordinates for nothing!
isn't the point that it takes the same form in all coordinate systems?
They aren't called generalised coordinates for nothing!

i was actually talking about the equations of motion in different co-ordinate systems say, intrinsic and polar both of which may describe the same motion. but u assumed i was talking about the hamiltonian! :tongue: yes but without doubt, the equations for a general case are far more superior in both aesthetics and meaning!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 388
Original post by Kyyp
In the Cambridge maths booklet had troubles with x*2-x-1. Never come across this before. Thanks in advance

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One S

Do you mean the question that asks you to factorise x2x1x^2-x-1

Solve it using the formula or complete the square then write down the factorisation.
Original post by BabyMaths
Do you mean the question that asks you to factorise x2x1x^2-x-1

Solve it using the formula or complete the square then write down the factorisation.

I've just noticed that I know precisely how to prove the equation in your sig after STEP III this year :biggrin:
Reply 390
Original post by TheMagicMan
I've just noticed that I know precisely how to prove the equation in your sig after STEP III this year :biggrin:

How about solving n=0nxn!=44152005855084346e\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{n^x}{n!}=44152005855084346e ? :tongue:
Does anybody want to post their solutions to any pending problems?

Here's a new one:
Let pk(x)=1+x++xk1p_k(x)=1+x+\ldots+x^{k-1}. Given that gcd(k,n)=1gcd(k,n)=1, show that [text]p_k(x) divides pk(xn)p_k(x^n).
Reply 392
is this IMO stuff any good for uni shizz?
Original post by Rahul.S

I would say no. However, good problem solving skills make life a lot easier and you will come across many important ideas in the olympiad.

You might want to check out the IMC (or any other undergraduate competition) for more university-relevant problem-solving. Problems from IMC 2012
Reply 394
Original post by DamoclesAustria
I would say no. However, good problem solving skills make life a lot easier and you will come across many important ideas in the olympiad.

You might want to check out the IMC (or any other undergraduate competition) for more university-relevant problem-solving. Problems from IMC 2012

thanks for the stuff. Ive done little IMO stuff before, but some of the questions do seem interesting. Would you recommend getting the books?
Original post by Rahul.S
thanks for the stuff. Ive done little IMO stuff before, but some of the questions do seem interesting. Would you recommend getting the books?

Which books?

I recommend Titu Andreescu's "Problems from the Book". (There is a draft version online)
I met Titu at the IMO last year and had my copy signed :biggrin:
Reply 396
Original post by DamoclesAustria
Which books?

I recommend Titu Andreescu's "Problems from the Book". (There is a draft version online)
I met Titu at the IMO last year and had my copy signed :biggrin:

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/index.php?mode=books this stuff?

Titu sounds jokes :tongue: guessing Romanian? do you do the IMO last year? :colone:
Original post by Rahul.S

None of the material is useful. The two main things you get out of training from the IMO are problem solving skills and a forced early introduction to 'advanced' maths.... I wouldn't have done half the Uni maths I have if I hadn't been dragged through the AMS for four years

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
None of the material is useful. The two main things you get out of training from the IMO are problem solving skills and a forced early introduction to 'advanced' maths.... I wouldn't have done half the Uni maths I have if I hadn't been dragged through the AMS for four years

Did you want to do the AMS? And are you glad that you did?
Reply 399

ah I see. I might still just look at some questions- I get little time nowadays to do much- and there are IMO questions which I can dive into without actually reading any new material :tongue: my mate was telling me there are quite alot of Trinity 2012 applicants in the IMO team- they must of raised the STEP boundary :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest