The Student Room Group

A Level Maths over year 11 summer

I am planning to take 4 a-levels: Bio, Chem, English Lit, and Maths
I have heard this workload is too much, so would it be a good idea to self learn a level maths over summer of year 11?
I got 94% on my recent maths mocks (average over all three papers) and feel I would be able to learn all the content or at least all of year 1.

Maybe I could also ask to be removed from maths lessons but still take exam if I am confident enough?

Would starting on another subject be more beneficial? Or should I just chill?
Original post by ismaelishere
I am planning to take 4 a-levels: Bio, Chem, English Lit, and Maths
I have heard this workload is too much, so would it be a good idea to self learn a level maths over summer of year 11?
I got 94% on my recent maths mocks (average over all three papers) and feel I would be able to learn all the content or at least all of year 1.

Maybe I could also ask to be removed from maths lessons but still take exam if I am confident enough?

Would starting on another subject be more beneficial? Or should I just chill?
If you really want to, you could have a brief skim through some stuff for your subjects towards the end of the summer but tbh a levels are quite an intense experience so I'd recommend letting yourself relax - its no use to you to be burned out before you've even properly started your a levels! If you're worried about 4 subjects being too much, you could always drop one later on in year 12 because at the end of the day, you only really need 3 a levels and AAA will always look better than ABBC (etc)
that is a very unrealistic goal for the summer - yes, it is possible to self-teach A Level Maths but not in 2 months. Also, you’d want to enjoy your Year 11 summer as much as you can because you won’t have a lot of time for fun during Year 12 summer (tbh this also kinda depends on what you want to do at uni).

Honestly, you do not need 4 A Levels. Unis mostly require 3 A Levels, they’d rather see 2 or 3 A*s than something like A*ABC.

You could do an EPQ in Year 12 along 3 A Levels.
You could also start with the 4 A Levels and see how you like it and if you’d be able to commit to all 4 subjects - if not, you can drop one of them at any time.
Or you could self teach A Level Maths in the 2 years you’ll be at college/sixth form and then sit the exam privately.

Quick Reply

Latest