The Student Room Group

Which sutton trust extracurricular to apply to?

Hi, I'm looking to do a degree in pure maths at university and am interested in a career in finance in the future. I want to apply to a programme by sutton trust this year (y12) but I am not sure whether to apply for pathways into banking/finance (online) or just to the maths summer school. It is my understanding that if I succeed in getting into the pathway programme I cannot apply to the summer school programme. My primary concern is how good this will look on a uni application rather than a CV, so I'm asking if (top) universities would have a preference.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by lucyy06
Hi, I'm looking to do a degree in pure maths at university and am interested in a career in finance in the future. I want to apply to a programme by sutton trust this year (y12) but I am not sure whether to apply for pathways into banking/finance (online) or just to the maths summer school. It is my understanding that if I succeed in getting into the pathway programme I cannot apply to the summer school programme. My primary concern is how good this will look on a uni application rather than a CV, so I'm asking if (top) universities would have a preference.

Thanks!

No one cares about extra curricular stuff for maths. What they care about is if you can do maths, and are interested in maths. Summer school is probably the best bet for getting in to uni it, might increase your chance of an offer by epsilon.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by zetamcfc
No one cares about extra curricular stuff for maths. What they care about is if you can do maths, and are interested in maths. Summer school is probably the best bet for getting in to uni it, might increase your chance of an offer by epsilon.

Oh i was told things like this show interest in the subject? I'm not sure how else I'd evidence it
Reply 3
Original post by lucyy06
Oh i was told things like this show interest in the subject? I'm not sure how else I'd evidence it

Talk about the maths you've done books you've read. You just need to show some excitement about maths. But realistically the main driver of what gets you an offer is your grades.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by lucyy06

Hi!

I study maths at Lancaster so I thought I'd share some of the things I did when applying to uni! I was also told to do and write about things that show interest in the subject so I talked about books I'd read and talks that I went to. It is important not to just say you've done them but also to reflect on them a little bit to say what you took away from the book etc. In terms of summer schools, either the finance pathway or maths summer school will be useful so pick whichever one you prefer. You will easily be able to talk about either in a personal statement especially as you are looking at using the maths degree to then go into finance so you have definitely shown interest in the subject either way!

I hope this helps and good luck with your studies!
Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)
Reply 5
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi!

I study maths at Lancaster so I thought I'd share some of the things I did when applying to uni! I was also told to do and write about things that show interest in the subject so I talked about books I'd read and talks that I went to. It is important not to just say you've done them but also to reflect on them a little bit to say what you took away from the book etc. In terms of summer schools, either the finance pathway or maths summer school will be useful so pick whichever one you prefer. You will easily be able to talk about either in a personal statement especially as you are looking at using the maths degree to then go into finance so you have definitely shown interest in the subject either way!

I hope this helps and good luck with your studies!
Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest