2:2.

ll
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

ll
(edited 11 years ago)
ll
(edited 11 years ago)
Just try and get some stuff on your cv to make you stand out, no point worrying about things you can't change :smile:
I think you should be able to teach in China. Would you have to get an qualification like a PGCE? Have you looked into what China requires of its teachers? Or maybe you could go on one of those missionary travels to another country and teach english and use it as experience when you go to China?
My sister graduated with a 2:2 and the only trouble she has found is trying to apply to graduate specific jobs, who need a 2:1. She is getting into teaching by working as an art technician and the moving up through a school with her experience.
No, its a simple TEFL online certificate.

I want to get into marketing or the general area, I did a spell of work expirence with a company that went well but there was no job to offer me. I have no real desire to teach long term and see myself in a creative industry. I need to find a way in, which can be frustrating when your applications arnt considered because of the 2:2 bit.

My social skills are pretty good and I have a way with people or so I believe. I need a break in, any suggestions or ideas?
The guy who lived next to me this year has just graduated with a 2:2.
But he's got a job doing something to do with physics at a place in Hong-Kong (that's where he's from).
So you definitely can get jobs in that part of the world with a 2:2 degree :smile:
Reply 7
I got a 2.2, and I'm not worried! I really believe that these days, it's about so much more than your grade. Additional experience is imperative. I would sacrifice a grade boundary for everything else that I got out of University. I am one of the few people I know on my course that has got a permanent job.. And I started 6 days after my last exam.

Although, to counter-argument that, I don't particularly want to do anything in relation to my degree, so maybe my degree itself if irrelevant, not just the grade?

However, to do a PGCE, with my 2.2 i'll still get a £12,000 grant. So can't complain!

There are so many options. Just breathe :smile:

(Edit: I'm in marketing now, so perhaps that is relevant to you!)
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks for the bright words Cloop. Can I ask how you found your way into marketing or any advice to clawing your way up?
Reply 9
Original post by cloop
I got a 2.2, and I'm not worried! I really believe that these days, it's about so much more than your grade. Additional experience is imperative. I would sacrifice a grade boundary for everything else that I got out of University. I am one of the few people I know on my course that has got a permanent job.. And I started 6 days after my last exam.

If anything the classification of the degree has become significantly more important over the years.

OP, if you're applying for graduate jobs you need to only apply to those which don't specify that you require a 2:1. Even at that expect to have to justify it at every interview. Failing that perhaps consider applying for roles which do not traditionally require degrees. For example, jobs in the police force can pay reasonably well and most of the competition won't have been to Uni.
Original post by Christopher1988
Hi,

I've graduated last year from an ex ploy as (some people know it) with a 2:2. Now unlike most employers I would like you to keep reading despite seeing those 2 numbers together. I came very close to the 2:1 but missed out. Has the world closed to me? I had some serious issues in the third year with ocd and it really played a part in me missing out on those grades.

I'm a pretty bright person, subjective thinking I know, and believe I have what it takes to do well. Im looking at going to China to teach English so I can have an edge in some respect, if I learn the language espically than would I have a chance?

I regret letting things get on top me of me last year and know I was more than capable of the 2:1. I would love to hear from all of you though pratical advice would more more apreaciated than chin up messages.

Thanks

From experience, anything but a third will get you places. Even a third just makes things horribly difficult, a friend of mine from uni got a third and ended up getting a better job than me with a 2ii. Long story short, it'll just take a bit longer to do what you want. So first thing is to relax :tongue:

Advice would be to speak to people who have done a TEFL course and how to go about it, what are good skills to have and how to approach the course. That is, if you really want to teach English abroad. In the event that doesn't feel 'right', take some time out and think about what you want to do. Really think because it's easier to commit and get on with one thing instead of bouncing potential ideas around.
Reply 11
I would be horrified that someone teaching my child got a 2:2. Those that can, do.
Reply 12
Original post by cloop

Although, to counter-argument that, I don't particularly want to do anything in relation to my degree, so maybe my degree itself if irrelevant, not just the grade?

However, to do a PGCE, with my 2.2 i'll still get a £12,000 grant. So can't complain!

There are so many options. Just breathe :smile:

(Edit: I'm in marketing now, so perhaps that is relevant to you!)

Obv it depends what industry you're going for. In some more competitive like finance, accountancy and law, you'll find it very difficult with a 2.2
and those you cant offend others.
*who
Ok a big thank you to all of you who posted its most apreaciated. I need to find a way in to marketing or PR with the 2:2 so I need to find the networking and openings.
Original post by Fynch101
I would be horrified that someone teaching my child got a 2:2. Those that can, do.

In my experience, degree classification is a better reflection of how hard you worked than your innate abilities. A first requires graft much more than it requires genius. I wouldn't be too bothered if my kid's teacher had slacked a bit at uni.
Original post by Christopher1988
Ok a big thank you to all of you who posted its most apreaciated. I need to find a way in to marketing or PR with the 2:2 so I need to find the networking and openings.

Maybe try and do an internship or two, so that you have that experience when applying for actual jobs, as well as the extra referee :yes:
Reply 18
Original post by Norton1
If anything the classification of the degree has become significantly more important over the years.

OP, if you're applying for graduate jobs you need to only apply to those which don't specify that you require a 2:1. Even at that expect to have to justify it at every interview. Failing that perhaps consider applying for roles which do not traditionally require degrees. For example, jobs in the police force can pay reasonably well and most of the competition won't have been to Uni.

I completely disagree. I know, having spoken to people directly involved with recruitment in competitive industries, that they are focussing more on what else the candidate has to offer. In someone else's words; "anyone can do nothing but work and get a first. If everyone devoted all their time to their studies then a first would be expected. It's those that do a lot more than that who are of interest to us. Ideally, a 2.1 would be our preferred candidate grade because it suggests that there is just more to them than work".

Yeah, a 2.1 isn't a 2.2, but a first without experience isn't worth as much as it would have done in the past.
Reply 19
Original post by Fynch101

People that engage with children and know and implement the correct methods of how to teach and get a message across, are not always those that are going to be in the top tier of essay writing, for example. You might be terrible at exams but charismatic in teaching new concepts to the next generation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending