The Student Room Group

The Stone Roses v Oasis

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Other then a few Oasis songs I find them very bland. Another thing is the rhyme section is very poor, theres no groove to the songs.
Stone Roses, easy one. I saw them at Heaton Park in June, what a show!
Oasis.

I have seen the stone roses once and wouldn't pay to see them again.

I have seen oasis five times but I'd pay to to see them again in a heartbeat.
Reply 23
Original post by Scumbaggio
Oasis.

I have seen the stone roses once and wouldn't pay to see them again.

I have seen oasis five times but I'd pay to to see them again in a heartbeat.

When did you see them? I accept that Ian doesn't have the greatest voice ever, but Mani, Squire and Reni make up for it, for me. Oasis can't live with the regards to songwriting and musicanship.
Reply 24
Stone Roses. Best band ever.
Reply 25
Original post by Belle-x
Stone Roses. Best band ever.

Much agreed, Belle :smile: They have brilliant obsecure b-sides.
I'd probably go for Stone Roses as well. But I think that criticism directed at Oasis' albums after WTSMG is a little misplaced in this comparison since Stone Roses went downhill after their very first album (not to say SC is completely terrible, it isn't) and probably would have continued to go downhill if they hadn't imploded. Both have some great non-studio-album songs, including imo Oasis' best song - 'the masterplan'.

Hard to beat Stone Roses lyrics though - "I don't care I taste Ambre Solaire" in a song about oral sex.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by TheCasual
Much agreed, Belle :smile: They have brilliant obsecure b-sides.

Some of their b sides are easily some of their best songs too! Could listen to them all day and not get bored. Class.
Reply 28
Original post by Forum User
I'd probably go for Stone Roses as well. But I think that criticism directed at Oasis' albums after WTSMG is a little misplaced in this comparison since Stone Roses went downhill after their very first album (not to say SC is completely terrible, it isn't) and probably would have continued to go downhill if they hadn't imploded. Both have some great non-studio-album songs, including imo Oasis' best song - 'the masterplan'.

Hard to beat Stone Roses lyrics though - "I don't care I taste Ambre Solaire" in a song about oral sex.

Her neck her thighs her lips her hair :smile:

The reason SC gets so much stick is because it wasn't a copycat of TSR. SC is alot more diverse, but its not as easy to listen too as TSR.
Reply 29
Original post by Belle-x
Some of their b sides are easily some of their best songs too! Could listen to them all day and not get bored. Class.

My favourite B-Sides are Standing here, All Across The Sands, Going Down and Mersey Paradise.
I had originally just listened to Oasis and quite liked them. However, upon listening to The Stone Roses, it is hilariously obvious where Oasis drew their main inspiration from. I like both bands, but I'll side with The Stone Roses for this one.
Reply 31
My favourite B-Sides are Standing here, All Across The Sands, Going Down and Mersey Paradise.

Where Angels Play has got to be one of the best!
Reply 32
Original post by Belle-x
Where Angels Play has got to be one of the best!

Yeah agree its fantasic.

I'm quite supprised TSR are winning, thought Oasis would win by quite abit.
Yeah agree its fantasic.

I'm quite supprised TSR are winning, thought Oasis would win by quite abit.

Im surprised as well. Its good to see the Roses winning as well because they're far superior musically but I don't know if its because people on here have decent taste or because of the current buzz factor. Oasis are inactive whereas a lot of bandwagon jumpers / NME Brigade lept onto the Roses for Heaton Park.

Still, if it helps the Roses get their deserved recognition then I'm happy. :smile:
Reply 34
They deserve every bit of praise they get and more.

John Squire also comfirmed the new album is nearly ready :biggrin:
Original post by IanDangerously
Im surprised as well. Its good to see the Roses winning as well because they're far superior musically but I don't know if its because people on here have decent taste or because of the current buzz factor. Oasis are inactive whereas a lot of bandwagon jumpers / NME Brigade lept onto the Roses for Heaton Park.

Still, if it helps the Roses get their deserved recognition then I'm happy. :smile:

It will be a bit of this but some of the posts explain why people have made the (correct) choice.

I can't stand Oasis. Not even in the top 5 Manc bands.

Joy Division
TSR
The Smiths
The Bee Gees
Happy Mondays

:confused:
Reply 36
Original post by Wilfred Little
It will be a bit of this but some of the posts explain why people have made the (correct) choice.

I can't stand Oasis. Not even in the top 5 Manc bands.

Joy Division
TSR
The Smiths
The Bee Gees
Happy Mondays

:confused:

Out of them bands I find Joy Division abit depression, but understand there musician talent and the impact they had, The Smiths are great musically and lyrically, but I can't stand Morrissey's voice. Happy Monday's where great, but they sound dated to me. I do like most of there stuff though. I liked Black Grape too. Bee Gee's I don't know enough to comment, but they have never grabbed me.
Out of them bands I find Joy Division abit depression, but understand there musician talent and the impact they had, The Smiths are great musically and lyrically, but I can't stand Morrissey's voice. Happy Monday's where great, but they sound dated to me. I do like most of there stuff though. I liked Black Grape too. Bee Gee's I don't know enough to comment, but they have never grabbed me.

Absolutely, I like that though. Unknown Pleasures was basically a suicide note as Curtis went on to kill himself, then his bandmates noticed the lyrics, so I agree with you there.
Reply 38
Original post by Wilfred Little
Absolutely, I like that though. Unknown Pleasures was basically a suicide note as Curtis went on to kill himself, then his bandmates noticed the lyrics, so I agree with you there.

Yeah agreed, Ian Curtis was a fantasic songwriting.
Reply 39
think I'll have to go with Noel Gallagher on this one.

Quick Reply

Latest