The Student Room Group

2 months of college left, what on earth do I do after???

Currently studying UAL level 3 in visual design/illustration (or something to that effect) and I finish at the end of May. I haven’t applied to any universities as im scared it will be a waste of time and money (especially with the rise of AI making art even riskier than before). I’m also autistic and basically stuck at home all the time; meaning I can’t really ego outside alone and thus will definitely struggle with uni and just working in general. I’ve been to my college’s careers advisor about this and her advice was essentially to just give up lol.
Are there any decent jobs I can get with a mostly useless level 3 in art and decent GCSEs? I feel like I have no chance at any form of success with the hand I’m dealt and it’s a bit depressing honestly
Original post by dmibxm
Currently studying UAL level 3 in visual design/illustration (or something to that effect) and I finish at the end of May. I haven’t applied to any universities as im scared it will be a waste of time and money (especially with the rise of AI making art even riskier than before). I’m also autistic and basically stuck at home all the time; meaning I can’t really ego outside alone and thus will definitely struggle with uni and just working in general. I’ve been to my college’s careers advisor about this and her advice was essentially to just give up lol.
Are there any decent jobs I can get with a mostly useless level 3 in art and decent GCSEs? I feel like I have no chance at any form of success with the hand I’m dealt and it’s a bit depressing honestly
I know this might seem cliche but have you considered being a content creator. I know it’s a gamble but there are a lot of niches and micro trends you can follow to slowly build a following. Once you get a following you can start commission work open a store. Uni is the best place to network and find potential consumers especially within illustration , but you can try and reach out to book publishers about working as a book cover artist. Once you get one commission they will likely tell other authors and company’s about you to commissions. Vtubing , as in making models for v tubers and 2d rigging for vtubers is also quite lucrative.

Don’t give up, you have to understand our teachers don’t fully understand the new world we live in and social media, so they don’t know about all the small but mighty niches that people do need to fill. Don’t let AI scare you, remember AI can only make art if real artist make its for them to steal (in most cases). Any path will need hard work, charm and dedication
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
I know this might seem cliche but have you considered being a content creator. I know it’s a gamble but there are a lot of niches and micro trends you can follow to slowly build a following. Once you get a following you can start commission work open a store. Uni is the best place to network and find potential consumers especially within illustration , but you can try and reach out to book publishers about working as a book cover artist. Once you get one commission they will likely tell other authors and company’s about you to commissions. Vtubing , as in making models for v tubers and 2d rigging for vtubers is also quite lucrative.
Don’t give up, you have to understand our teachers don’t fully understand the new world we live in and social media, so they don’t know about all the small but mighty niches that people do need to fill. Don’t let AI scare you, remember AI can only make art if real artist make its for them to steal (in most cases). Any path will need hard work, charm and dedication

i completely agree with this, don’t give up because someone said you should! there are so many routes you can go down even if you don’t get your perfect job straight away :smile: definitely look into digital routes as well looking into jobs that could act as a stepping stone to your future career
Reply 3
Thank you guys for the responses 🫡 Going to think about how I can market my art hard and try and get a career going !!
Reply 4
Original post by dmibxm
Thank you guys for the responses 🫡 Going to think about how I can market my art hard and try and get a career going !!

yesss🙏🏻 do post updates if you want when you have any!
Reply 5
One place AI wont likely be coming any time soon is sculpture, eg bronze casting, chainsaw carving, pottery, stone carving. There is deffo a big market out there for commissions. My dad is a chainsaw carver, making wooden bears and other animals. If you would like a chat feel free to dm me :smile:
Original post by dmibxm

Start with volunteering work for the time being as you await for the professional job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending