The Student Room Group

End of Year 12 Decisions: Should I drop an Alevel? If so, which

So currently my A-Levels are Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography. I'm looking into either physics or maths at uni. In my mocks, I got an A in Maths and Further, a B in physics but a D in geography. I really enjoy geography because its a break from maths but I'm worried about my grade. Should I drop it and carry on with 3 next year or carry on with 4?

Scroll to see replies

imo drop geography since it wont be useful to u
Reply 2
Original post by Orbit06
So currently my A-Levels are Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography. I'm looking into either physics or maths at uni. In my mocks, I got an A in Maths and Further, a B in physics but a D in geography. I really enjoy geography because its a break from maths but I'm worried about my grade. Should I drop it and carry on with 3 next year or carry on with 4?

Maths, FM, Physics is not broad enough. I do maths, further, physics and econ, and I'm in year 12 as well, but I'm not dropping Econ because Maths and Further Maths are the same subject, so Maths, FM, and Physics is really only 2 A Level subjects.
Universities only require 3 a levels, so drop geography. You aren't getting a high grade in it, and you'll waste time revising for it when you could be focusing on your other a levels
And maths, fm and physics are 3 levels, btw, contrary to what the above user has said.
Original post by Orbit06

As someone who does 4 and currently sititng A-Levels- drop the 4th. Its a real struggle, tho my 4th isnt FM. Also depending on your course some unis (im not sure if any do but just in case) might want 4 subjects i) depending on the course and ii) if ur doing FM. So factor in what you want to do at uni too. If it doesnt mention anything about that then just drop it because you only need your top 3 and it seems like ur doing great in ur 3 (:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Orbit06

I would 1000% suggest that you drop Geography. You're looking to do Physics or Maths at uni both of which have nothing to so with Geo. Geo is really bringing your grades down and you seem to be struggling quite a bit especially when you compare it to the grades you got in your other subjects. I know you enjoy Geography but think about what will be best for you in the long term. Getting predicted a low grade in a subject will likely hurt your chances of getting an offer from a uni. You are doing rlly well in your other subjects and imagine if all that time that is spent on Geo was dedicated to studying Physics or Maths. You could maybe even bring the Physics grade up to an A so you would have rlly good predicted grades (AAA). Also you'll have more free time so you will get a break from Maths as you will even be able to relax in a few of your frees. As other people said, universities value 3 A levels as much as 4. Also, if you improved you could get an AAA which is much much better than an AABD.
Reply 6
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
Universities only require 3 a levels, so drop geography. You aren't getting a high grade in it, and you'll waste time revising for it when you could be focusing on your other a levels
And maths, fm and physics are 3 levels, btw, contrary to what the above user has said.

maybe research before saying false information. If your 4th A Level is further maths, then it is very hard to drop an A Level that isn't further maths. The risk with taking fm is that you can't drop any other subject that's not fm.
Reply 7
Original post by Sirius17
maybe research before saying false information. If your 4th A Level is further maths, then it is very hard to drop an A Level that isn't further maths. The risk with taking fm is that you can't drop any other subject that's not fm.

What the other user said is fine, universities will typically give one or two subject-specific grade requirements max and specify a grade that needs to be achieved in your third subject, Geography will be of no use if they get a D - getting a B right now in FM means they will very likely be able to get at least an A in the final exam come next year - not to mention FM gives you some very useful maths skills you will need at university for Physics or Maths.

It's also very easy to drop another subject that isn't FM so I'm not sure what you're getting at? My friend got sick and decided that since none of his offers needed Computer Science, he would drop that and only take Physics, Maths and Further Maths (since his offers only specified Physics and Maths).
(edited 11 months ago)

That's not what you said. You said the unis would only count fm, maths and physics as 2 a levels. Of course it will be harder to drop geo than fm
Reply 9
Maths, FM, Physics is not broad enough. I do maths, further, physics and econ, and I'm in year 12 as well, but I'm not dropping Econ because Maths and Further Maths are the same subject, so Maths, FM, and Physics is really only 2 A Level subjects.

This is also not correct, Further maths is absolutely a full a level, it teaches you more advanced mathematics that will be highly beneficial to future studies in Mathematics or Physics. Again, most universities will only specify 1-2 subject-specifics so it doesn't matter what your third is.

Also, I'm not sure what type of university OP is looking to apply to, but Cambridge and Durham Mathematics actually require Further Mathematics, they don't need Econ or Geography (shocker).
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
That's not what you said. You said the unis would only count fm, maths and physics as 2 a levels. Of course it will be harder to drop geo than fm

wrong again. I said they wont count it as 3 subjects, they definitely are 3 a levels.
Reply 11
Original post by Arcos
What the other user said is fine, universities will typically give one or two subject-specific grade requirements max and specify a grade that needs to be achieved in your third subject, Geography will be of no use if they get a D - getting a B right now in FM means they will very likely be able to get at least an A in the final exam come next year - not to mention FM gives you some very useful maths skills you will need at university for Physics or Maths.

It's also very easy to drop another subject that isn't FM so I'm not sure what you're getting at? My friend got sick and decided that since none of his offers needed Computer Science, he would drop that and only take Physics, Maths and Further Maths (since his offers only specified Physics and Maths).

We were told at my school that if you decide to take further maths, you can't drop any other subject that is not further maths
Reply 12

Wrong - in every degree [except a few for Medicine] they are considered to be three A levels. Who told you this rubbish?
Reply 13
wrong again. I said they wont count it as 3 subjects, they definitely are 3 a levels.

You are wrong - Maths and Further Maths are two separate A levels - I teach Maths so can say this 100%
Reply 14
We were told at my school that if you decide to take further maths, you can't drop any other subject that is not further maths

Your school is wrong then.
Reply 15
Original post by Muttley79
Wrong - in every degree [except a few for Medicine] they are considered to be three A levels. Who told you this rubbish?

you're saying that maths and further maths aren't the same subject? They are both maths...
Reply 16
You are wrong - Maths and Further Maths are two separate A levels - I teach Maths so can say this 100%

They are 2 different A LEVELS, but I said that they are the SAME SUBJECT.
Reply 17
They are 2 different A LEVELS, but I said that they are the SAME SUBJECT.

So what does that matter - no need to be rude - you are wrong that unis won't accept them as two different A levels.
you're saying that maths and further maths aren't the same subject? They are both maths...

We aren't talking about the number of "subjects". We are talking about the number of a levels
Reply 19
So what does that matter - no need to be rude - you are wrong that unis won't accept them as two different A levels.

When you do A Level, Unis want your subject combinations to be broad. Doing maths, fm and physics only is not broad enough as all 3 are heavily maths focussed. That is why fm is taken as a 4th A Level, not a 3rd a level. The last resort should be dropping geography in order to do maths, fm and physics

Quick Reply

Latest