The Student Room Group

A course you love or a Uni you love

Title says it all really. Would you rather go to a Uni that you absolutely love, with a course that you know you'll enjoy but is not quite perfect for you, or a uni you also love but not as much, on a course that is perfect for you. For the sake of the argument, lets assume all other variables (entry requirements, reputation, etc) are the same (or so similar that it makes no difference)
Course over uni, anyday.

That's what you're really there for after all.
Reply 2
Course.
When you apply to uni, most people apply to the same or almost the same course at 5 differents unis, they don't normally apply to 5different courses all at the same uni.
Reply 3
Course, of course
Original post by TenOfThem
Course, of course

I see what you did there :smile:

To the OP - the course matters over the uni IMO.
Reply 5
Course.

Unless something awful and dramatic happens, you'll end up loving whatever Uni you end up going to - you have nothing to compare it to after all...
Reply 6
How can you love an academic organisation. Seek medical help now!
Course!
Reply 8
Little difficult to say but being a current student I think uni, but then again I haven't had enough experience to say otherwise. I absolutely love my uni.
Reply 9
A bit of both. There is no point doing a course you love if the you hate the university and town, trust me. You can live with it, and academically you might enjoy it but overall your university experience won't be as a great. On the other hand though what is the point going to a university you love and doing a course you hate? As long as you don't mind the university (not hate), I would go with the one that offers the better course.
Reply 10
Course over uni. I spent a year at a welsh university studying Psychology, and the course was brilliant. However, in terms of social life it was pretty dull. I transferred to Essex Uni to continue the course (which wasn't as good), but started to like the uni a little too much if you know what I mean. I wasted time and money, particularly in the second year, on drinks, clubbing and extra curricular activities while losing interest in my course.

I'm not saying this will happen to you but just think you should prioritise course over uni.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Course you love with a uni you like over a course you like with a uni you love.
Reply 12
How different are the courses? Tbh you don't know what's in the course til you start anyway and it's possible they'll tinker with it after you start.
What would make sense is paying attention to the assessments. End of year exams vs end of term exams and/or coursework depending on what you think you're better at... Course you could be wrong, I thought I was good at exams then at uni I strated doing better at coursework.

Imo You've probably got a better chance of working out if you can stomach the uni or not than you have working out if the course 'is perfect for you'
i actually picked a uni i prefer over a course i preferred, because the better course was at a very far away uni in a city i'm unfamiliar with and quite intimidated by if i'm honest! so i picked the other uni for location really. though the courses are very similar, i got better vibes from the other one but i really think that i would be unhappy living there as i couldn't see myself fitting in or coping well at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending