The Student Room Group

How difficult is Computer Science?

I am thinking of doing computer science at uni but i dont know if i am good enough.can someone tell me the difficulty of the course

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well obviously it varies between courses. Most have a lot of maths in, a lot of the more reputable universities require an A in A level maths, but there are some that don't require maths at all.
If you're worried about not being good at programming; all of the courses I've seen require no experience, so it'll all start at a fairly easy level
Reply 2
Yeah depends on the Uni.

But first year is usually a piece of piss!
Reply 3
BobMob
Yeah depends on the Uni.

But first year is usually a piece of piss!

lol are you serious? the 2nd term of the first year is as hard as f*** in my Uni
Reply 4
Navajo
lol are you serious? the 2nd term of the first year is as hard as f*** in my Uni

BobMob
depends on the Uni.

:wink:
Reply 5
what unis do you guys go to? anyone in notts?
Reply 6
WelshBoy
I am thinking of doing computer science at uni but i dont know if i am good enough.can someone tell me the difficulty of the course

You're answering your own question. In my experience 10% of people on Computer Science courses are natural programmers and the rest are just there for the salaries.
Reply 7
OakBeans
You're answering your own question. In my experience 10% of people on Computer Science courses are natural programmers and the rest are just there for the salaries.

What a sweeping statement!

Just because someone is not great at programming, does not mean they joined a Computer Science course for a good salary. It is possible to join because you want to learn Computer Science, and enjoy it. Since when did you have to be good at something to enjoy it.

I guess you must think you are one of the 10% to come out with a statement like that.
Dills
what unis do you guys go to? anyone in notts?

I do, I do! What do you want to know?
Reply 9
Jedeye
What a sweeping statement!

Just because someone is not great at programming, does not mean they joined a Computer Science course for a good salary. It is possible to join because you want to learn Computer Science, and enjoy it. Since when did you have to be good at something to enjoy it.

I guess you must think you are one of the 10% to come out with a statement like that.
Also, I think there are easier subjects to get into 'just for the salary.' As well as this, computer science is hardly a programming degree.
Reply 10
a computer science degree has a 'good salary'?
compared to what exactly?
Reply 11
laney
I do, I do! What do you want to know?

Is there a lot of maths in the course?
Reply 12
it is difficult but its ok if you work hard at it. Sometimes, you have to come home after a long day full of lectures and do extra reading to understand the work and theres also alot of coursework and class tests involved during each semestre but like I said work hard and you will be fine. Java is solid though!
Reply 13
icedout
Is there a lot of maths in the course?

Loads. I have full maths in two of my modules and quite alot of maths in another two, which is just three which dont have maths in at all. but its not overley complicated maths, the hardest maths I have come across so far is Higher level Gcse stuff.
Reply 14
i will be honest with ya Comp Sci, is hard there no beating around the bush if youy do not have the commitment to practise your programming skills for at least 4 hours a day then forget even doing it, and furthermore if your not big on maths then forget it as well
Reply 15
Devil_Jin
i will be honest with ya Comp Sci, is hard there no beating around the bush if youy do not have the commitment to practise your programming skills for at least 4 hours a day then forget even doing it, and furthermore if your not big on maths then forget it as well

:ditto: I don't and I hate it
Devil_Jin

That kinda makes it sound like all comp sci's do is program. Its quite a big part but still I only have 2 modules of programming (out of about 10 ish if I did straight comp sci but I do joint degree with maths).
Reply 17
1st year is easy. 2nd year is ok and then royally kicks you in the butt towards the end getting all mathsy and stuff. im guessing 3rd year is gonna be totally hardcore but im only a 2nd year atm so hey. lol.
Reply 18
dieeiervonsatan
That kinda makes it sound like all comp sci's do is program. Its quite a big part but still I only have 2 modules of programming (out of about 10 ish if I did straight comp sci but I do joint degree with maths).

trust me programming is fundamental to the degree, at my uni (and may be all uni's) the programming part is a core module, so in theory if you get 70% on all the exams in the first yr but fail the programming module then you will not be able to continue to the 2nd yr, so my advise to most people thinking of doing comp sci makes sure your programming skills are up to scratch preferably in java (or what ever the hell they are teaching next yr)
Reply 19
Devil_Jin

i dont really agree with that. im not good at maths but the maths isnt exactly rocket science. some of it is basic such as binary numbers. secondly, programming for 4 hours a day?? i practice it for an hour every two nights and cope fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending