The Student Room Group

CS or ESS as my IB subject?

i am joining IB this year and i want to pursue film as my major in university,
my HL subjects are : Eng lit/lang, Business management, and Film
and SL subjects are : maths ai, computer sciences and French AB

my father has told me to take CS as my sciences but i am not quite sure i can do it as i have no experience in programming apart from the 3 years of HTML which was taught to me in school. What would be a better option for me in sciences ESS or CS
Reply 1
Original post by filmkid

my father has told me to take CS as my sciences but i am not quite sure i can do it as i have no experience in programming apart from the 3 years of HTML which was taught to me in school. What would be a better option for me in sciences ESS or CS

Personally I only take Computer Science so I can vouch that it is a decent subject to take. Python is a really easy programming language to learn and Java is only slightly harder. The theory is also not that hard.
Reply 2
Original post by _user_
Personally I only take Computer Science so I can vouch that it is a decent subject to take. Python is a really easy programming language to learn and Java is only slightly harder. The theory is also not that hard.

thank you for your reply, but i also wanted to ask how difficult would the *coursework be as im an avg student at school (icse) and if i don't score well, my parent might as well bury me alive.

*(it would be better if you can rate it out of ten as well?)
Reply 3
Original post by filmkid
thank you for your reply, but i also wanted to ask how difficult would the *coursework be as im an avg student at school (icse) and if i don't score well, my parent might as well bury me alive.

*(it would be better if you can rate it out of ten as well?)

I've just begun the coursework and it's been okay till now, however we've been told if we want a good grade we need to do java over the summer for the coursework. I'd say currently 7/10 but I'm still doing Section A so that's subject to change.
Reply 4
Original post by _user_
I've just begun the coursework and it's been okay till now, however we've been told if we want a good grade we need to do java over the summer for the coursework. I'd say currently 7/10 but I'm still doing Section A so that's subject to change.

What textbook do you use? My course for ib starts july end, i wanted to see the subject coursework and how adaptable it is for me, or if i want to change my course. A name would be helpful. thank you so much for your help and i wish you the very best.
Original post by filmkid

With ESS, I know people say it's easy but to be honest it's slightly difficult since you need to memorise each topic and link them cause the answers all all theoretical and essay based. You need to know real-life case studies too. Also, I have the same HLs as you! Except I take Art instead of Film and French B instead of AB. ESS is really fun if you're passionate about the environment and genuinely enjoy learning about how we as humans impact the environment :smile:
Original post by filmkid

Unless you're planning on studying computing at university, I would definitely recommend ESS. I did both, and CS was much harder, especially with the IA. It's very programming intensive and takes significantly more time than any other IA. Universities will just look at your point score anyway, so the effort would be for nothing.
Reply 7
Original post by onlyangel28
With ESS, I know people say it's easy but to be honest it's slightly difficult since you need to memorise each topic and link them cause the answers all all theoretical and essay based. You need to know real-life case studies too. Also, I have the same HLs as you! Except I take Art instead of Film and French B instead of AB. ESS is really fun if you're passionate about the environment and genuinely enjoy learning about how we as humans impact the environment :smile:

memorising isnt as big a problem thats what i grew up doing in icse. you have been really helpful. thank you so much for help
Reply 8
Original post by emilyalexandria
Unless you're planning on studying computing at university, I would definitely recommend ESS. I did both, and CS was much harder, especially with the IA. It's very programming intensive and takes significantly more time than any other IA. Universities will just look at your point score anyway, so the effort would be for nothing.

i am not planning on doing computing at university at all, my fathers forcing me to opt for it as its useful and not "just programming". everytime i brought up the topic to switch subjects hes shut me down i really hope he listens to me this time. thank you so much for your time and helping me out
Original post by filmkid
memorising isnt as big a problem thats what i grew up doishoong in icse. you have been really helpful. thank you so much for help

shoot me questions anytime! i just finished my ess paper 1, glad I was able to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending