The Student Room Group

GCSE Computer Science - Struggling with Networks

Hi Everyone,
Self studying OCR GCSE Computer Science, but I'm struggling to learn Module 3: Networks. Does anyone have any advice or tips to help with this topic?

Reply 1
Original post by EnigmaChess
Hi Everyone,
Self studying OCR GCSE Computer Science, but I'm struggling to learn Module 3: Networks. Does anyone have any advice or tips to help with this topic?

ooooo Networks are my favourite part of Computer Science. What are you struggling with?
Reply 2
Original post by mesub
ooooo Networks are my favourite part of Computer Science. What are you struggling with?

It's interesting, just quite chunky and difficult to learn. Network Types and Performance is pretty easy, but I'm struggling with learning Network Hardware and the Internet (DNS and such). Thanks for your help!
Reply 3
It's interesting, just quite chunky and difficult to learn. Network Types and Performance is pretty easy, but I'm struggling with learning Network Hardware and the Internet (DNS and such). Thanks for your help!

DNS is a bit of a process, I found it was best to see how each step links to each other. Craig'n'Dave did a helpful video for this here.

For network hardware, I found that having a look at images of the hardware helped me to link its purpose to the actual piece of hardware.
Reply 4
I'm following the CraignDave videos, they're great however it sometimes feels like a lot of information at once.
Reply 5
Hi Everyone,

Have you checked out the 'GeeksForGeeks' Website? - they literally have everything you could ask for in regards to comp sci and explain really well, 'W3Schools' is also good.

In regards to youtubers check out 'neso academy', 'CrashCourse - Networks' (playlist really fun to watch!) and 'CS50' - I'm a uni student but these are really good resources, hope they help! Good Luck with your studies :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Bean_cat
Have you checked out the 'GeeksForGeeks' Website? - they literally have everything you could ask for in regards to comp sci and explain really well, 'W3Schools' is also good.

In regards to youtubers check out 'neso academy', 'CrashCourse - Networks' (playlist really fun to watch!) and 'CS50' - I'm a uni student but these are really good resources, hope they help! Good Luck with your studies :smile:

That's great, thank you! Are you studying computer science at uni? What is it like?
Reply 7
That's great, thank you! Are you studying computer science at uni? What is it like?

Yeah, I'm going into my third year this September. I'm definitely enjoying the subject, it's a mixture of everything from maths, coding, essay writing and project working on lots of different topics. Some of the projects I've done are making a game with Java, researching with the use of AI, working with external clients, making a website (using databases php and sql) along with many others. Some of the languages I've used are; python, java, html, sql, css, php, javascript and php. It is difficult, but I'm enjoying my experience of studying it at degree level :smile:
Reply 8
Yeah, I'm going into my third year this September. I'm definitely enjoying the subject, it's a mixture of everything from maths, coding, essay writing and project working on lots of different topics. Some of the projects I've done are making a game with Java, researching with the use of AI, working with external clients, making a website (using databases php and sql) along with many others. Some of the languages I've used are; python, java, html, sql, css, php, javascript and php. It is difficult, but I'm enjoying my experience of studying it at degree level :smile:

Awesome! What uni is this at? I would really like to study computer science at degree level.
Reply 9
Awesome! What uni is this at? I would really like to study computer science at degree level.

Honestly, my uni isn't that great and it isn't even one of the Russel group unis - the ranking is pretty bad too. (I'm going to do a masters somewhere else, because management is terrible here.) If you're interested in looking at the projects you'd be doing at certain unis, then it would be worth checking out the spec for the course on uni websites. Sometimes some unis don't teach what people want so a person might have to look elsewhere; I remember earlier in the year a guy was arguing with the lecturer because they refused to teach hacking (the reason being that the IT department at the uni got hacked when it was taught lmao).
Reply 10
Honestly, my uni isn't that great and it isn't even one of the Russel group unis - the ranking is pretty bad too. (I'm going to do a masters somewhere else, because management is terrible here.) If you're interested in looking at the projects you'd be doing at certain unis, then it would be worth checking out the spec for the course on uni websites. Sometimes some unis don't teach what people want so a person might have to look elsewhere; I remember earlier in the year a guy was arguing with the lecturer because they refused to teach hacking (the reason being that the IT department at the uni got hacked when it was taught lmao).

Lmao, the hacking anecdote is pretty funny. Currently at secondary school and the level of IT security is shocking.
Reply 11
Lmao, the hacking anecdote is pretty funny. Currently at secondary school and the level of IT security is shocking.

ikr lol, the IT department were so annoyed when it happened - tbh I'm starting to realise now that their security systems are just downright awful. I remember going to an IT classroom for spanish class and there wasn't any fixed computers there so I spent the entire lesson fixing a PC, Cable management is atrocious and during my GCSEs they wiped all our coursework off the systems a few months before the deadline. At least I had a lot of learning opportunities fixing all these things lmao

Quick Reply

Latest