The Student Room Group

graphical calculators?

Hi all, I'm starting a math degree in September and I figure I should get a proper graphics calculator. It's easy enough to put those words into amazon but then there are different makes, different prices, etc. Are there any that people can particularly reccomend, or are they really all just the same?
I bought a graphical calculator before first year and haven't ended up using it at all. This might be because I've taken more pure stuff than applied, but really there isn't much you can't do with a regular scientific calculator.
Reply 2
Original post by Hedgeman49
I bought a graphical calculator before first year and haven't ended up using it at all. This might be because I've taken more pure stuff than applied, but really there isn't much you can't do with a regular scientific calculator.

Seconded, I didn't use a calculator for my entire undergraduate degree, and the chances of me using one in my masters are even lower!
Reply 3
Original post by Julii92
Hi all, I'm starting a math degree in September and I figure I should get a proper graphics calculator. It's easy enough to put those words into amazon but then there are different makes, different prices, etc. Are there any that people can particularly reccomend, or are they really all just the same?

I've recently bought one for A Level Further Maths, and got the TI83 calculator. I'd also advise you to buy one second hand off ebay, as I got mine for £20 when it would've been around £100 off of Amazon :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by nuodai
Seconded, I didn't use a calculator for my entire undergraduate degree, and the chances of me using one in my masters are even lower!

Original post by Hedgeman49

Okay, well, I've been self studying from the A-level textbooks and I've often come across "draw the graph on a graphic calculator, what do you notice etc." type questions, so I assumed there would be more of this stuff to come, but maybe I'll have a rethink about whether it's necessary.

Original post by lizz-ie
I've recently bought one for A Level Further Maths, and got the TI83 calculator. I'd also advise you to buy one second hand off ebay, as I got mine for £20 when it would've been around £100 off of Amazon :smile:

I'll look into that, thanks :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
As far as I know you don't really need a calculator for university!
You don't need a calculator. You also definitely don't need a graphing calculator - draw the graphs yourself!
Don't buy a graphical calculator, it will be a huge waste of money.
Original post by MattyJo
As far as I know you don't really need a calculator for university!

You may well need a scientific calculator - we are allowed to use university-provided ones in stats exams and they are handy for getting a probability out at the end - and also in a methods course I took the lecturer was keen on getting nasty decimal trig answers. But those are the only times I have ever used one, most courses don't even contain numbers and those that do require numerical answers can be easily done in your head.

Quick Reply

Latest