The Student Room Group

Ford Ka problems!

Hello,
I have an 02 Ford Ka with an MOT up to Feb of next year. I took it out today (after its been sat on my drive for 3 months) and its making a knocking noise, like a deep clunking, it gets faster with more speed but not particularly louder. A piece of metal fell off as well whilst I was driving uphill, it was only small but I have no idea where it came from.
At first it sounded as if the knocking was coming from the rear passenger side, but it seems to be louder and not coming from one specific location (its more like all around the car) now than when I first noticed it. I drove over speedbumps and potholes but that didnt seem to make it any worse... Any idea of what it may be?

Also, I noticed the footbreak didn't seem to be working as well as it does on the car I've been driving for the past 3 months, and it seemed to stall a lot easier and the turbo didnt seem as fresh if that makes sense, not sure any of the last bit makes any difference at all :s maybe its because the car ive been driving is a lot newer... None of the warning lights stay on when the cars started up so there doesn't seem to be any obvious clues :confused:
Reply 1
Take it to a garage and see if they can get too the bottom of it. Its never a good idea to leave a car standing for that long as some components can seize up.
Reply 2
If you put the car into neutral and coast with the clutch down does the knock still remain?
Reply 3
Pistons.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT26i
Reply 4
Original post by vxrz
Pistons.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT26i

Bull****.
Reply 5
In terms of the engine not feeling too sprighty, it could just do with a thrash down the motorway to loosen everything up. There could well be air in the brakelines, which can be solved by a simple bleed. The knocking could be anything from a loose exhaust banging on the floor to something more ominous. Definitely worth getting it checked if you're not too confident with doing it yourself or don't know anybody that can help you out, although I'd always say they were better avenues to go down before you splash out a ton of money.
Reply 6
Take the car to a garage so they can have a look at it, Its hard to diagnosis a problem over the internet with the information you have supplied. I found it a little bit funny when you said the 'turbo didnt seem as fresh' as the Ford Ka isn't tubrocharged....unless you have modded it!
Reply 7
Original post by SteveAMG
Take the car to a garage so they can have a look at it, Its hard to diagnosis a problem over the internet with the information you have supplied. I found it a little bit funny when you said the 'turbo didnt seem as fresh' as the Ford Ka isn't tubrocharged....unless you have modded it!

Well i dont know anything about cars, i dont know what it has or doesnt have, hence why im asking on here ha! Anyway, took it to the garage and it turns out it was the front suspension, both sides as well! Thanks for your suggestions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending