The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Babygirl-x
Yes, did you do it also?

Ahh yup, got 43/45 :biggrin:

I can send you mines, and also two examples, if that will help? Send us your email on pm :smile:
I dont suppose you could send me those examples too? i am very stuck at the moment on the bromine investigation!
Reply 82
Original post by chilled zach
I dont suppose you could send me those examples too? i am very stuck at the moment on the bromine investigation!

I've managed to attach one of the examples.

Could you send us your email? I can send the other one there :smile:
Thanks. :smile: PM'd you my email.
Reply 84
Original post by D12127
anyone got any good pointers for Cu ion analysis? im a little nonplussed after the reticence of my teacher to hand out much help, and i need to get a good chunk of it done by friday week...

Hey :smile: I'm doing the ion analysis too...Have you finished yours yet? I've got some good ideas about the methods and why i'm doing it but I don't have many sources for the background theory :/ is there any chance you could send yours too me...I wont use it I just want an examples and nobdoy else seems to have done it

Reply 85
my chemistry cw is due in at the end of the week and im really stuggling to put it all together :s-smilie: could anyone possibly email me their investigation so i can have a better idea of what i should be aiming for. its on vitamin C concentrations in fruit.

Will be eternally grateful :smile:
Reply 86
I'm doing peroxodisulfate and iodide, and the horrible part is that the rate constants (k) for both concentration are so different, one is 12.5 and one is 21.3 and I have no idea how to find the actual rate constant to put in my rate equation. I don't think I can add those two together and divide by 2 cuz they are far too different....anyone got any ideas?
Reply 87
Original post by TTNN
I'm doing peroxodisulfate and iodide, and the horrible part is that the rate constants (k) for both concentration are so different, one is 12.5 and one is 21.3 and I have no idea how to find the actual rate constant to put in my rate equation. I don't think I can add those two together and divide by 2 cuz they are far too different....anyone got any ideas?

Hmm the rate constant should be the same regardless of your individual reactants. How did you work out your rate constant?

The way I did it was when I was adjusting temperature, not individual concentrations of a reactant. So for example, in 20oC my overall reaction time was, on a average, 25.0 seconds. Then to work out the rate of reaction, I simply did 1 divided by the time. This is a simple method to work out the rate of reaction, there are other ways.

Then all you have to do is plug into your rate equation, which is typically:
rate= k x [Reactant concentration 1]m x [Reactant concentration 2]n
You should know your original concentration of your reactants, so it should be simple to rearrange the formula to work out k.

Remember, do not vary the concentration when working out your rate constant; that will make your answers wrong.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 88
I am planing on to do Hydrolysis of ester (oil) for my A2 coursework.
what do you guys think about it ?
Did anyone of you have done it before ?
Any tips or example ?
Thanks
Reply 89
[QUOTE="nksunny;39640517"]Hey Would it be possible if you could send me a copy o your course work so that I can get a gist of what needs to be done.... THANKS :biggrin:!!!!![/QUOTE

HI DID YOU DO THE IODINE AND PROPANONE INVESTIGATION?
Reply 90
Original post by abzy1234
ahh yup, got 43/45 :d

i can send you mines, and also two examples, if that will help? Send us your email on pm :smile:

hi did you do the propanone and iodine reaction investigation as your coursework?
Reply 91
Original post by wizkid1
hi did you do the propanone and iodine reaction investigation as your coursework?

Nope, I did the reaction between Bromide, Bromate and Hydrogen ions :smile:
Reply 92
Hmm the rate constant should be the same regardless of your individual reactants. How did you work out your rate constant?

The way I did it was when I was adjusting temperature, not individual concentrations of a reactant. So for example, in 20oC my overall reaction time was, on a average, 25.0 seconds. Then to work out the rate of reaction, I simply did 1 divided by the time. This is a simple method to work out the rate of reaction, there are other ways.

Then all you have to do is plug into your rate equation, which is typically:
rate= k x [Reactant concentration 1]m x [Reactant concentration 2]n
You should know your original concentration of your reactants, so it should be simple to rearrange the formula to work out k.

Remember, do not vary the concentration when working out your rate constant; that will make your answers wrong.

That's what I did. For my investigation, I had to find the reaction rate under different concentrations of potassium iodide potassium (concentration of peroxodisulfate is kept the same) and then different concentration of potassium peroxodisulfate (conc of potassium is kept the same). But the average rate constant for potassium iodide is 12.5 and for the other one is 21.3 like I said above. At first I thought the ate constant for both concentration would be about the same but they not. The order with respect to both concentration is 2.
Reply 93
Original post by TTNN
That's what I did. For my investigation, I had to find the reaction rate under different concentrations of potassium iodide potassium (concentration of peroxodisulfate is kept the same) and then different concentration of potassium peroxodisulfate (conc of potassium is kept the same). But the average rate constant for potassium iodide is 12.5 and for the other one is 21.3 like I said above. At first I thought the ate constant for both concentration would be about the same but they not. The order with respect to both concentration is 2.

Yes, but the only way that you can work out the rate of reaction in this case, is by studying the effect of temperature on the rate. Using a water bath, or something similar, adjust the temperatures from 20 degrees upwards; and by using ice cubes, 20 degrees below.

Then you will have the average time taken, and you do 1/t to work out the rate of reaction. Then it is a simple matter of rearranging the rate equation to get k on its own; and thus you can work it out.

Rate constant is the same, regardless of the concentrations of any of the reactants. Remember you are working out a constant, you can't change anything else.

So if you work out that during 20 degrees the rate of reaction was say 0.004 mol dm-3 s-1; and that as you say the order of both reactants is two, you work it out like this:

k= 0.004
[Concentration of reactant 1]2[Concentration of reactant 2]2

Ask your teacher if you're unsure on how to tackle temperature and kinetics in the lab :smile:
Reply 94
Yes, but the only way that you can work out the rate of reaction in this case, is by studying the effect of temperature on the rate. Using a water bath, or something similar, adjust the temperatures from 20 degrees upwards; and by using ice cubes, 20 degrees below.

Then you will have the average time taken, and you do 1/t to work out the rate of reaction. Then it is a simple matter of rearranging the rate equation to get k on its own; and thus you can work it out.

Rate constant is the same, regardless of the concentrations of any of the reactants. Remember you are working out a constant, you can't change anything else.

So if you work out that during 20 degrees the rate of reaction was say 0.004 mol dm-3 s-1; and that as you say the order of both reactants is two, you work it out like this:

k= 0.004
[Concentration of reactant 1]2[Concentration of reactant 2]2

Ask your teacher if you're unsure on how to tackle temperature and kinetics in the lab :smile:

I know that the rate constant should always be the same but for some reason when I varied the concentration of potassium iodide and kept the conc of potassium peroxodisulfate the same, the rate constant is different to the rate constant when I varied the concentrations of potassium peroxodisulfate and kept the concetration of potassium iodide the same. I'm sorry if I confused u and I should have told u earlier that I've already done the experiments with different temperatures and got the rate constant for it without any trouble, it's just that I have to work out the rate constant to put in rate equation when I've found out the order with respect to the reactants.
Reply 95
Original post by Pembilton
My friend did it with peroxodisulfate rather than hydrogen peroxide but I think it's the same thing (ioding clock method, right?). She's going to see if she can find a copy for you but will make no promises :smile: Have you tried having a look online? I'm still happy to send you mine for a basic outline, although I think the general layout is pretty flexible. Have you got any information from your school? I remember we got a pack written by OCR which detailed the areas that needed to be covered, labelled from A-H I think.

OMG, she did, I would really appriciate it if she could send me a copy, I having trouble of trying to find the rate constant. Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 96
Original post by TTNN
I know that the rate constant should always be the same but for some reason when I varied the concentration of potassium iodide and kept the conc of potassium peroxodisulfate the same, the rate constant is different to the rate constant when I varied the concentrations of potassium peroxodisulfate and kept the concetration of potassium iodide the same. I'm sorry if I confused u and I should have told u earlier that I've already done the experiments with different temperatures and got the rate constant for it without any trouble, it's just that I have to work out the rate constant to put in rate equation when I've found out the order with respect to the reactants.

Hmm, you've lost me :tongue:

If you've already found the rate constant, then just use that value; and plug it in your rate equation. Remember, that rate equation with that rate constant will be the generic one; the one that any chemist could do without worrying about the temperature.

Hahahaha I feel so sorry for you :smile:

Just kidding! The coursework is tough but the hard work can pay off :smile: I got 44/45 for mine and it really helped to give me confidence going into the exam, knowing I should get an A. I did the breakdown of vitamin C one (can't remember the exact title, I've tried to block it out!) and could send you my copy if you want? I think my friend did hydrogen peroxide so I could also ask her?

Hey, i'm doing my cw and was wondering if you could possibly send me a copy of yours! would be really helpful!
Original post by gozatron
This coursework was the single most painful event in my entire life. No exam/coursework/crisis/panic attack comes close.

I did the Bromine clock reaction if anyone wants a few pointers.
. Care to post your individual investigation? If you still have it that is.. what grade did you get on it btw, so I can see where I'm at when comparing. Merci
Reply 99
Hahahaha I feel so sorry for you :smile:

Just kidding! The coursework is tough but the hard work can pay off :smile: I got 44/45 for mine and it really helped to give me confidence going into the exam, knowing I should get an A. I did the breakdown of vitamin C one (can't remember the exact title, I've tried to block it out!) and could send you my copy if you want? I think my friend did hydrogen peroxide so I could also ask her?

Hi I was wondering how you went about the analysis and write-up or where you got information telling you what to include. If it's possible could I also get a copy of your write-up :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending