The Student Room Group

Top 10 most challenging degrees..?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
A degree that will get me a job to feed myself and my family after completion is more important.
To answer your question, everyone is different and no-one have done 10 or more degrees to know which is more difficult thus making the top ten implausible.
Reply 81
it cant be challenging for the person who has chosen to do the degree. Obviously these subjects would be difficult for those who are not good at it.
Reply 82
Original post by hannah60000
Agreed
I never doubted this I study both Maths and Philosophy at a level and yes they are challenging. The question was whether or not they require similar application and I would say they do not in some cases. Nevertheless I agree with the above.
:smile:

Thanks! And yes, I think you're right about them not being able to be applied in a similar application - Maths gives you an edge because of the numerical/calculation side - which is required in Finance and Engineering. Whereas for pure thinking, they both are equivalent. :smile:
Reply 83
Original post by pepeeglesfield
Either you can't read or you've missed the point, I didn't ask for you're opinion on my thread...what I want is in the title. Obviously it is going to be subjective..much like the marking of english yet we still had to do it.

Yep, sure, I am totally illiterate, which is why I am typing words right now. I'm sorry for sarcasm, but 'you can't read' was just a tad uncalled for.

I haven't missed the point. I know what this thread is asking for. By saying that I think it is pointless, I think it is quite obvious that I think there is no such thing as the top 10 most challenging degrees, which is a perfectly valid answer to your question, and could be interpreted as a list of 10 blank/random items if you like. And, jeez, this is a 'forum', you know, for discussion. I can post my opinion if I like even if it doesn't exactly answer what you exactly asked for.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by bbm100
it cant be challenging for the person who has chosen to do the degree. Obviously these subjects would be difficult for those who are not good at it.

But if this was the 'Top 10 most challenging degrees...for the average person' it could make sense to actually make a list. But you're right, it varies from person to person :smile:
Of course this is a guess...
1) Physics/Maths
2) Comp sci
3) Engineering
4) Medicine/Vet sci
5) Other physical sciences and law.
Reply 86
Original post by TimmonaPortella
No, some points, if you're doing things properly, are just difficult. It is difficult, on reading the muddled cases, to get the law straight on accessorial liability and joint enterprise for criminal law. Likewise, if you think the theory of parliamentary sovereignty requires hours of study but is easy, you're not thinking about the material properly.

I disagree. The actual difficulty of modules is very subjective. For example, I find parliamentary sovereignty very easy to understand because there are a just a few definitive cases. For example, Jackson tells us quite clearly that Parliament is not sovereign, and the courts would be willing to strike down legislation which is in clear contravention to fundamental rights (which was an indirect reference to Parliaments initial attempt to block out the judiciary from immigration appeals (pretty sure it was immigration)) Then, when you look at Primacy of EU law and Factortame/Thoburn, it is clear that in practice EU law has primacy over Parliament. Obviously it's quite difficult to make a coherent argument for all of this, due to the very different approaches used by the courts (One Judge in Factortame fully accepted the ECJ's approach because we knew what we were getting into, whereas Thoburn created the idea of "constitutional statutes" to keep parliamentary sovereignty in place, yet the practical result is the same either way). There's also problems with hypothetical situations, which is obviously because we cannot tell what a court will say in the future (e.g. see the divergent opinions of the court in Jackson regarding the "two step" approach involved in getting around the Parliament Acts)

That being said, I do struggle with complicity in criminal law. But that doesn't mean that a law degree is hard, and I'll explain why as coherrently as possible, but it may take a few paragraphs.

I'll get my definition of hard out of the way. The standard I use is to achieve a degree which is acceptable for most jobs. Without a doubt, law is the hardest degree to get a first in, however most jobs require a 2:1. "Hard" to me, requires a high difficulty to learn the material. For law however, most things can be learnt to a 2:1 standard by just continuously going over the stuff, understanding from different perspectives etc. So it is merely time that is the determination of difficulty for learning the material.

The "hardest" part of a law degree, is perhaps the application. No one can magically apply the law to a 2:1 standard with ease. It takes a lot of learning, and a lot of practicing, and getting constructive criticism from a lecturer/tutor. So again, this takes time. Time, to me, is not a determination of difficulty, unless their is a very limited time which you are expected to be able to do this in. For most undergrad law degree, there is plenty of time before exams and for coursework to learn to a 2:1 standard. Now, that being said, it is pretty common that some people excel in some modules, and are weak in other modules. Or, like me, some people can excel in coursework, and are weak in exams. This is what traditionally makes law degrees seem difficult. However, in the end, they all require the same style - learn, and apply. For some modules, it is more difficult to learn (e.g. contract, which has a high number of significant cases), but for others, it is more difficult to apply (e.g. constitutional law, as it is mostly about developing philosophical ideas based around a few key cases and articles). Overall though, this should even itself out, so as long as you have a 2:1 standard of learning and application (achieved through time, with plenty of time available before exams) you should be able to achieve an overall 2:1...

But of course that means nothing if your aiming for a first, as it is a completely different cup of tea required to achieve that.
Reply 87
comp sci is only found interesting by a VERY special kind of person. It's a lot of programming and staring at a computer screen. this is reflected by the fact that it is the subject where the least people get firsts and 2.1's.

yes, if you have a degree in comp sci from a top 20 uni, you shouldn't have any problem getting a very well paid job with relative ease. during the recession, comp sci graduates were the only ones that actually had an increased demand and demand continues to increase every year.

i think the best job after a cs degree is games programming, as it is quite well paid and fun.

i did engineering over cs at the very last moment. electronic and electrical engineering is very very similar and i would say you could apply for most jobs with either.

i switched to aerospace though in the super super last moment, day before! :rolleyes: because i thought it would be more fun.

you should have seen my face when i went to the first aerothermodynamics lecture or advanced thermofluid mechanics. :confused:

but now i can get a really well paid job easily while all my friends who did history or english or some **** can't :biggrin:
Reply 88
Original post by CJ99
Computer Science is definitely up there but far more at the higher quality universities, some of the lower quality universities can be a joke at times for Compsci.

How so?
A Music degree would be hard as all i can play is 3 blind mice on a recorder
Reply 90
Original post by kka25
How so?

at decent uni's it is usually hardcore programming and algorithm theory

at okay uni's it will be a mix of content with a bit of the above thrown in to give candidates with some determination the opportunity to learn programming themselves

at a crap uni it is basically an IT/IT system maintenance degree

basically if your not doing some seriously hardcore maths, your not doing the right one.
Reply 91
Original post by A.sniper
at decent uni's it is usually hardcore programming and algorithm theory

at okay uni's it will be a mix of content with a bit of the above thrown in to give candidates with some determination the opportunity to learn programming themselves

at a crap uni it is basically an IT/IT system maintenance degree

basically if your not doing some seriously hardcore maths, your not doing the right one.

A bit vague, but I think I get your point.

I did take one System Maintenance module (Linux); I think it's one of the best/fun things I'd ever learned really.
but now i can get a really well paid job easily while all my friends who did history or english or some **** can't :biggrin:

Wow - you sound like a great friend :yup:
Reply 93

how about a lot of those politicians who are well paid and CEO's... a lot of them studied history, my friend is a history grad and has a 33k starting salary.

Clearly media and film studies should be in the top 10 along with surf studies and golf management...

p.s. I studied neither of them haha
comp sci is only found interesting by a VERY special kind of person. It's a lot of programming and staring at a computer screen. this is reflected by the fact that it is the subject where the least people get firsts and 2.1's.

yes, if you have a degree in comp sci from a top 20 uni, you shouldn't have any problem getting a very well paid job with relative ease. during the recession, comp sci graduates were the only ones that actually had an increased demand and demand continues to increase every year.

i think the best job after a cs degree is games programming, as it is quite well paid and fun.

i did engineering over cs at the very last moment. electronic and electrical engineering is very very similar and i would say you could apply for most jobs with either.

i switched to aerospace though in the super super last moment, day before! :rolleyes: because i thought it would be more fun.

you should have seen my face when i went to the first aerothermodynamics lecture or advanced thermofluid mechanics. :confused:

Well done but maybe it is more than your friends degree that does not allow then to get a job.

Maybe you haven't realised that in some cases more than a degree is needed for a job. There are History and English grads that have high earning job salaries. This stereotype is misleading.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 95
Original post by lcsurfer
how about a lot of those politicians who are well paid and CEO's... a lot of them studied history, my friend is a history grad and has a 33k starting salary.

Clearly media and film studies should be in the top 10 along with surf studies and golf management...

p.s. I studied neither of them haha

Original post by hannah60000
Well done but maybe it is more than your friends degree that does not allow then to get a job.

Maybe you haven't realised that in some cases more than a degree is needed for a job. There are History and English grads that have high earning job salaries. This stereotype is misleading.

haha rustled your jimmy's did i?

I completely agree, I should have been more clear.

In my opinion, i think those people are a minority.

Nearly everyone in my class who graduated engineering even the stupid ones, Have already secured jobs, and we only graduated last month. starting salaries are around 30k for us.

that guy/gal who did history and managed to get 33k must of gone to a really good uni.
Reply 96
haha rustled your jimmy's did i?

I completely agree, I should have been more clear.

In my opinion, i think those people are a minority.

Nearly everyone in my class who graduated engineering even the stupid ones, Have already secured jobs, and we only graduated last month. starting salaries are around 30k for us.

that guy/gal who did history and managed to get 33k must of gone to a really good uni.

nope went with me to coventry.... not all about the good uni's, he did a placement year and got re-hired by the company
Original post by pepeeglesfield

evidently not with an answer like yours. However if everyone was to comment their top 10 you could determine a common trend and therefore gauge which ones most people agree on. And I never said I wanted a clear answer, just wanted to hear other peoples opinions.

Not necessarily. People of certain ages, generations and backgrounds may be more likely to join TSR and thus not give a true picture. Few people are going to say that their degree is easy.
Original post by Engineerchap
Of course this is a guess...
1) Physics/Maths
2) Comp sci
3) Engineering
4) Medicine/Vet sci
5) Other physical sciences and law.

i study engineering but no architecture included= fail list
Reply 99
Original post by kka25
How so?

At good Uni's they give you lots of hardcore theory and programming to go with it. It involves a ton of coursework based on making complicated ideas actually work.

As you go down the uni's they skip the more complicated theory and make it more about modern pretty technology. Unfortunately new pretty tech skips all the hard stuff, whereas if you learn the hard stuff properly - the hard way - you can pick up all the new tech quickly without much practise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending