The Student Room Group

Voluntary excess

Just in the process for looking for insurance for my Yaris - bit of a newbie - when it comes to cars etc but a query regarding voluntary excess.

I know it's amount that I'd have to pay towards any insurance claim but is this excess have to paid for every single insurance claim I was to make?

Secondly, when producing quotes and you have to input your amount of excess, what's the best price to put? I've been putting £250 because it seems like the average price to put forward?

In a related query to insurance finding, am adding my dad as a named driver and he's got a NCD but the price isn't substantially lowered. I'm 25, soon to be 26 this year, does age make any difference in reducing the insurance if I was to go on my own on my insurance policy without any named drivers?

Cheers

:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Aky786UK
Just in the process for looking for insurance for my Yaris - bit of a newbie - when it comes to cars etc but a query regarding voluntary excess.

I know it's amount that I'd have to pay towards any insurance claim but is this excess have to paid for every single insurance claim I was to make?

Secondly, when producing quotes and you have to input your amount of excess, what's the best price to put? I've been putting £250 because it seems like the average price to put forward?

In a related query to insurance finding, am adding my dad as a named driver and he's got a NCD but the price isn't substantially lowered. I'm 25, soon to be 26 this year, does age make any difference in reducing the insurance if I was to go on my own on my insurance policy without any named drivers?

Cheers

:smile:

Hi :biggrin:

Excess applies to any claim you might make: So if you had a crash one week and another the next, you'd pay the excess both times. (Assuming you made a claim because the repairs came to more than the excess, of course.)

I assume what you're talking about is accidental damage (crash) excess, and £250 is a fairly standard number, you're right. There might be varying excesses - For example, if your windscreen gets smashed, the excess will be a different number to if you had a crash.

At the company I work for, 25 is the cut-off for being considered a "young driver", provided you've had a license for more than a year. Extra excesses apply to under 25's, as they're considered more of a risk. Technically, we're meant to refer an application for investigation when people add their parents (who have their own vehicles) on to lower the premium, but this doesn't really get picked up on all that often. Your Dad's NCD won't affect your premium too much, since you'll still have to be listed as the main driver.

I hope this was helpful! Let me know if you have any more questions. :h:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Rananagirl

Excess applies to any claim you might make: So if you had a crash one week and another the next, you'd pay the excess both times. (Assuming you made a claim because the repairs came to more than the excess, of course.)

I assume what you're talking about is accidental damage (crash) excess, and £250 is a fairly standard number, you're right. There might be varying excesses - For example, if your windscreen gets smashed, the excess will be a different number to if you had a crash.

At the company I work for (RSA), 25 is the cut-off for being considered a "young driver", provided you've had a license for more than a year. Extra excesses apply to under 25's, as they're considered more of a risk. Technically, we're meant to refer an application for investigation when people add their parents (who have their own vehicles) on to lower the premium, but this doesn't really get picked up on all that often. Your Dad's NCD won't affect your premium too much, since you'll still have to be listed as the main driver.

Very helpful, thank you very much! :wink:

Excess just seems a thing I've never heard much of when people have been talking about in the aftermath of a crash so that's why taking me abit to get my head around. Would there be any situation you wouldn't have to pay an excess, e.g. that the accident was caused by another driver?

The combinations I'm doing - going from me on my own or with my Dad added on - is averaging around £800 mark. My dad's got a healthy NCD but doesn't seem to be impacting me much. Knowing me, I might have put details wrong although I don't think I have..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3

Excess just seems a thing I've never heard much of when people have been talking about in the aftermath of a crash so that's why taking me abit to get my head around. Would there be any situation you wouldn't have to pay an excess, e.g. that the accident was caused by another driver?

No worries, I found myself in a similar situation when I started in insurance (I actually had no idea what excess was to begin with hehe). :colondollar:

It varies by insurance company, but there's normally protocol for waiving the excess in certain situations.

If you're categorically not at fault for an accident and there's no chance of a dispute (say if your vehicle was hit whilst parked and unattended), then most insurance companies might offer to waive the excess and instead include that figure in our outlay for the third party's insurer to pay out, so you won't have to pay anything whatsoever.

A lot of the time though, there's simply too much chance of circumstances being disputed or completely different from the third party's view, so you'd have to pay your excess as normal. You'd be surprised how often we log claims as non-fault from our policy holder, then get info. from the third party showing that our client was, in actual fact, clearly at fault! Due to this, we can't risk waiving the excess on most claims, in case we turn out to be at fault so we'd end up having to pay the daily waiver rate to the repairers ourselves.

Wow, bit of an essay, sorry about that! :biggrin:

At the company I work for (RSA), 25 is the cut-off for being considered a "young driver", provided you've had a license for more than a year. Extra excesses apply to under 25's, as they're considered more of a risk. Technically, we're meant to refer an application for investigation when people add their parents (who have their own vehicles) on to lower the premium, but this doesn't really get picked up on all that often. Your Dad's NCD won't affect your premium too much, since you'll still have to be listed as the main driver.

Why would it be checked if you add a parent as a named driver. Perfectly legal to have a named driver who does 0 miles (e.g. case of adding a driver due to a planned long distance trip which is then cancelled).

The combinations I'm doing - going from me on my own or with my Dad added on - is averaging around £800 mark. My dad's got a healthy NCD but doesn't seem to be impacting me much. Knowing me, I might have put details wrong although I don't think I have..

On topic, the excess is what you pay in event of a claim on behalf of your yourself when it is your fault. You don't need to pay the excess for third party damage, only for the cost of repairs to your vehicle. You may have to pay the excess for repairs if fault is being decided, but then you should get it back if fault was decided to be the other party.

Edit: On your edit, another driver's NCD discount doesn't do anything apart from on their primary policy. Driving experience / job / etc do affect things, but only a little with named drivers.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
We paid our excess when my car was T-Boned by a Mini Cab, they knocked it off what they paid out for the car. In the end I had enough evidence to prove the Mini Cab driver was trying to defraud (he submitted a claim showing him hitting me with the wrong side of his car) so I got my excess, plus costs, back.

I agree.
Also, as well as a voluntary excess (which you can change and put as whatever figure you want) theres a compulsory excess, which you have to pay.
Adding your dad as a named driver might not have lowered your insurance by much, but if you add a couple of other people as named drivers, like your mum or someone, then it migt lower it by a bit more.
Reply 7
Original post by rmhumphries
Why would it be checked if you add a parent as a named driver. Perfectly legal to have a named driver who does 0 miles (e.g. case of adding a driver due to a planned long distance trip which is then cancelled).

Technically legal, yes, but adding a parent as a named driver simply to lower one's premium is frowned upon by insurance companies (because it loses them money), and they do have the right to reject your application for insurance with them if it's obvious that the parent won't really be driving at all. (I work for an insurance company, and this does happen very occasionally.) Otherwise, we'll simply make it so that the ND doesn't affect the premium at all.

As I said, though, it happens so often that they don't really chase it any more - Especially with it being so tenuous and unprovable.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
In the process of getting insurance, the difference between adding my Dad or me going solo isn't much, about a hundred quid so would it be beneficial for me to go on my own, won't that help in building up my NCB?
In the process of getting insurance, the difference between adding my Dad or me going solo isn't much, about a hundred quid so would it be beneficial for me to go on my own, won't that help in building up my NCB?

Having a named driver doesn't effect if you get NCB or not.
Reply 10
And to clarify, does a NCB come into place as soon as your insurance starts? How does it work?
And to clarify, does a NCB come into place as soon as your insurance starts? How does it work?

You have 0 yrs NCB at the moment. Hopefully after a year you'll have 1 yrs NCB. :smile: And so on.

Some policies allow you to protect your NCB, though I am not sure of the exact details.

You earn a NCB for each year-long (or in some cases 10 months) policy you have had without making a claim when you are the main driver.

At the company I work for, 25 is the cut-off for being considered a "young driver", provided you've had a license for more than a year. Extra excesses apply to under 25's, as they're considered more of a risk. Technically, we're meant to refer an application for investigation when people add their parents (who have their own vehicles) on to lower the premium, but this doesn't really get picked up on all that often. Your Dad's NCD won't affect your premium too much, since you'll still have to be listed as the main driver.

What can possibly result from this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending