The Student Room Group

Ninja Overcomes Gravity!

Scroll to see replies

Imo the easiest thing is following a premade program that does fatigue management for you.

Otherwise, I believe the current school of thought is that fatigue is mainly a function of volume rather than intensity. Suggesting you can just do some heavy 'tier 1' stuff and forego the assistance work for a week. That's what many programs I've looked at recently have approx every 4 or 5 weeks - a heavy testing week which also serves as a deload because you skip the secondary and assistance work.
Every 8 weeks is a safe bet for when to deload. Some people say deload before you need to.

From my current training I felt like I needed to deload when I just started feeling a bit run down when it came to getting my work done especially accessories. This feeling came at week 7.

GZCL says for a deload just reduce one of the variables for 1 week and then get back into training normal.

Pick... frequency, volume or intensity. On the deload I had planned I had cut my volume and kept frequency (the same) +intensity (high). (Opportunity to test my rep maxes). I had cut out T3s but kept T1s (singles) and T2s (less vol +intensity).

In the end I just didn’t go gym on my deload week as I was travelling anyway
(edited 4 years ago)
How's it going?
Taking a bit of time off at the moment. Family member has terminal cancer and is now in the last few hours/days. All happened quite quickly since diagnosis in October. Besides the constant hospital trips, watching someone close die slowly is amongst the worst experiences you can encounter in life.

Hoping to be back in gym and posting a bit more some time in March. It's definitely helped me with managing the stress.
Sorry to hear that man, it’s a tough thing to experience.
Hope you're okay mate
Sorry to hear that mate. Hope you guys are faring OK.
Sorry to hear
Original post by silent ninja
Taking a bit of time off at the moment. Family member has terminal cancer and is now in the last few hours/days. All happened quite quickly since diagnosis in October. Besides the constant hospital trips, watching someone close die slowly is amongst the worst experiences you can encounter in life.

Hoping to be back in gym and posting a bit more some time in March. It's definitely helped me with managing the stress.

I know someone who died of a brain tumour, he was only 16.
Original post by Greywolftwo
I know someone who died of a brain tumour, he was only 16.

What a bizarre comment.
Original post by Angry cucumber
What a bizarre comment.

Well I’m just saying that I can relate to how he’s feeling.
Original post by Gone Revising II
Sorry to hear that man, it’s a tough thing to experience.

Original post by Angry cucumber
Hope you're okay mate

Original post by illusionz
Sorry to hear that mate. Hope you guys are faring OK.

Original post by SuperHuman98
Sorry to hear

Original post by Greywolftwo
Well I’m just saying that I can relate to how he’s feeling.

Thanks for all your wishes. She died 2 weeks ago. Funeral done. Now that guests have disappeared, adjusting to life without her. Tough on kids the most. They lost a mum/grandmother at 54 v quickly which is hard to accept. I'm as good as can be. There's no secret recipe for managing grief, everyone has a different road to travel.

I've got back in the gym today. Workout was hard ish. Breathing and bracing was terrible. Kept volume low to readjust.

8 Mar
Bench 70kg 5 5 8
Pullups 5 4 4 4
dB curls + tricep extension 8kg 3x10
Ab wheel 3x8
Thinking ahead to a fatigue management routine. I think I overdo my workouts and age is probably kicking in. I'm not a 23 year old graduate with god-like recovery. GCZL looks to be suitable. Has anyone got links to an easy to use template? I want to do 4 week cycles with 3 workouts per week.

My plan is to get back up to Bench 90kg, Squat 100kg then do these on GCZL. For back I want to start doing barbell rows and work that up to a max around 80kgx8 as well as pullups. Shoulders I'll stick with standing DBs for now as my primary but this will limit progression pretty soon. The rest of the accessory stuff I assume I can play around with on GCZL, being mindful I don't overdo it.

I just want a programme where I don't get too fatigued, have time to stretch (the posture benefits are priority) and leave me with bags of energy to play with our 11 month old.

Carrying a wrist niggle for 2 months. Hope it's not a fracture because it's barely healed in that time despite several weeks off.
(edited 4 years ago)
While I’m doing GZCL I don’t know enough to suggest templates. As someone writes mine for me. I know there are a few and all the infos on GZCLs blog and Reddit posts.

I’ve been reading up on stuff I’d like to do after/when I want to take a break from GZCL.

I like the look of Greg Nuckols 28 free programmes. It’s a collection of bench,squat,dl programmes. Separate. So you’d put them together. And your own accessories. Programmes divided by days a week and intermediate/beginner/elite. Never done this but nuckols is trustworthy and it works for you since they have once a week,twice a week and 3x a week programmes just depends on how confident you are in programming your own accessories etc. I also think it’s 4 week blocks

5/3/1 is always solid to if you wanna spend less time.
Standing DB as a primary lift makes any program based on percentages tricky due to the low absolute max and very high percentage increments. So I wouldn't run it as a T1. Also, the gzcl programs are all 4 day unless you tinker with them a bit.

I'd do a S/B/D tier 1 day each week with standing DB press as a tier 2 or T3 say twice a week.

Something like

Monday T1 squats, T2 DB OHP
Wednesday T1 bench, T2 squats
Friday T1 Deadlift, T2 DB OHP

Add one more T2 each day that is a pulling movement of some sort, and maybe 3 T3s - DB bench, flyes, arm work, Lateral raises. If you prefer swap one of the T2 DB OHP out for more benching (or a variant) and have T3 DB OHP one day too so you're getting two different rep ranges of it.

That should be OK for recovery and I expect your goals don't need much extra leg work - could try it for a bit. Add T2 or T3 after a cycle if it's easy.

This is the blog article setting out the method http://swoleateveryheight.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-gzcl-method-simplified_13.html?m=1

This is a 3 day spreadsheet I made a while ago. Should be obvious which bits to change. Delete a few rows as I had more exercises than you'll want to have, at least initially. You can tweak the percentages each day - the deadlifts are set slightly lower. I set up 5 week cycles but just delete one week - whichever has the rep range you don't fancy (the default doesn't have a 4 rep week but for the above skipping the 2 rep week might be better since it doesn't have as much leg volume)

Also I kinda just did whatever I felt like for accessory work weight wise, you may want to change that and actually program it. It's very flexible.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EoMUUbVoNhJFJMJFZLmr3s0Yvpgc2r7P/view?usp=drivesdk

Otherwise there's a gzcl spreadsheet compendium floating around, I think at liftvault. That has all the base spreadsheets which you can tinker with.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest