The Student Room Group

Beware of bad estate agents !!! Please read

Hi everyone,

I don't know how effective this thread will be, but I really really need to warn you all of BAD ESTATE AGENTS/LANDLORDS and I hope you will read and take note.

I have just completed my 3 year degree at Manchester Metropolitan University, and just like most of you will, in my 2nd and 3rd year I moved into flats with my friends. We rented these flats via 2 different estate agents. Unfortunately, I have learned, not just from my own experience but many of my other friends too, that a lot of estate agents letting to students are out to rip them off and not give a crap about it!!!!

CURTIS AND BAINS (Deansgate, Manchester) are the most unprofessional estate agents I have ever come across!!! They were a problem from the very beginning. All year long they would call me up and accuse me of not paying my rent, which I had done promptly every month, sometimes paid months in advance. They would then tell me they were going to charge me £25 for every phone call they made to me, to chase me up on rent that I had ALREADY PAID! They sent numerous letters after Christmas explaining how me and my flatmate owed them thousands of pounds, which was absolutely ridiculous - my flatmate's rent had been paid a year in advance as her parents live in another country so they paid upfront. Every time I had to call the office, somebody different would answer and there would be no record of what was going on, and they would say "the person you need to talk to isn't in today". When I finally moved out once my contract was up (THANK GOD!), which was 3 months ago, another girl moved in to my room and paid deposit and 6 months rent, and Curtis & Bains estate agent are now claiming they have "no record" of this and won't return my deposit. When I call up they dismiss you and are so disrespectful. IT IS RIDICULOUS WHAT THEY WILL DO TO STUDENTS!

Another bad estate agent is ASH RESIDENTIAL (Fallowfield, Manchester) who would constantly charge our flat for the damages that the boys who lived below us had done to the hallways etc. (this was because one of the boys was the son of the owner!). They also charged us over £600 for damages that were already made to the property BEFORE we moved in i.e. -stained carpets.

I want you all to beware of things like this and be cautious when agreeing to live somewhere and signing a contract.

ADVICE: -
- do your research and find out which are the better landlords/estate agents in that area
- get everything in writing
- keep ALL bank receipts with rent payments etc and contracts
- take pictures of every room before you move your stuff in so that they can't claim any previous damages were your fault. Also, take pictures when you move out to prove you left the property in good condition.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
This sounds suspiciously like a lettings agent trying to badmouth competitors :holmes:

Personally I've only heard good things about Curtis & Bains....
If you need to look you should try http://www.allagents.co.uk/

I use to be with Jordan Fishwick and it was a nightmare, wish I'd checked them out on that website before hand :C
Original post by missyL123

ADVICE: -
- do your research and find out which are the better landlords/estate agents in that area
- get everything in writing
- keep ALL bank receipts with rent payments etc and contracts
- take pictures of every room before you move your stuff in so that they can't claim any previous damages were your fault. Also, take pictures when you move out to prove you left the property in good condition.

So common sense then, really?

If the agent is saying you've not paid, you make an appointment to meet in person with the agent and provide them with proof of your payment.
If they continue to argue, there are many options available to you.
Agents can't continually phone you, just as a land lord can't continually phone/enter the property without prearranging it. If they attempt too, you are well within your right to refuse entry.
It sounds like you didn't sort out the situation very well at all.
If I was in that position I'd be getting help from the CAB.
The agent needs to prove you haven't paid, just as you need to prove you have paid.
Simply saying 'you've not paid the rent' isn't good enough.

I am tempted to agree with neillya1, sounds like a spam post.
Reply 4
Original post by neillya1
x

x

I had big big problems with Curtis and Bains. Very bad, very unprofessional. Poor service. I would recommend anyone avoid them.
Reply 5
You can think whatever you like Neillya1 and LonelyKatana, I just know of many of my friends and even my younger sister who were looking for places to live and I would not want them to go through the same hassle that I went through.....and also LonelyKatana, it may sound "common sense" but from experience, I know many students just left their flat/house without taking pictures as proof etc so I am simply just trying to re-iterate how important it is to do these simple things. You have no idea how hard it has been to deal with these people with their rude and incompetent attitude - but by all means you sign up with them - I'd love you to go through it.
but by all means you sign up with them - I'd love you to go through it.

Bit of a pathetic comment, isn't it?

[QUOTE="missyL123;39528070"]You can think whatever you like Neillya1 and LonelyKatana, I just know of many of my friends and even my younger sister who were looking for places to live and I would not want them to go through the same hassle that I went through.....and also LonelyKatana, it may sound "common sense" but from experience, I know many students just left their flat/house without taking pictures as proof etc so I am simply just trying to re-iterate how important it is to do these simple things. You have no idea how hard it has been to deal with these people with their rude and incompetent attitude

Fair enough if your genuine, I'm sorry to suggest otherwise.
There is loads of information out there to help students avoid these problems, it's a shame many of them don't take note of it. I admire you for trying to help people avoid going through the same crap you went through!
It's clear to see the way the company has treated you is beyond unacceptable, I am in no way attempting to justify it.

Lets hope people do see your post, take note and don't end up with the same problems you had!
I've actually heard bad things about Curtis and Bains too. I certainly won't be touching them!
arh man up
Reply 8
For the love of God, don't use Homes4U.
Source: Seriously miffed 3rd year.
Reply 9
>Manchester Metropolitan University

Stops reading.
Reply 10
DO NOT USE THEM!!! They take ages to respond to anything, arrogant, rude and it appears most of the maintenance companies (including building and major repairs) are all owned by them so in their interest to rip off your landlord and you on wanting to get your deposit back.

Fight them through the TDS if you they claim anything from your deposit, I did and won, as they can only hold on to the amount they are claiming and not the whole deposit - refuse to sign their check out reports and demand your deposit back less the disputed amount. Then take it up with the TDS...

I wish I had see all the terrible reviews about them at the time and would have saved myself a lot of time and money.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS.
Jordan fishwicks especially salford branch and their **** manager ben
Last week made offer on a property that was being advertised , obtained all proof of funds to my agent to prove we had the money to pay the for the property , then farrow and farow, after being told we had made the offer whent out there way and advertised the property not informing that the property was not a property of repossession and was not offers over the asking price, advertised the property for less than it was being purchased for and have cost me search fees and legal fees, plus all the expenses of providing the fundss to pay to a reputable estate agent, also 1 day after it was all agreed with my agents then decided to put there sign in front of the other agent, ARE THEY ALLOWED TO ADVERTISE LIKE THIS, IT IS A C OPERATE SALE AND ONLY BEING OFFERED FOR SALE WITH OFFERS OVER 37500 THEY CHANGED THE PRICE TO 35.700 AND SAID THAT WAS THE ASKING PRICE KNOWING FULL WELL THAT WAS NOT CORRECT, I WILL BE TAKING THEM TO COURT SOON, BUYERS Beware OF THIS TRICK THAT THEY PLAY TO MISLEAD YOU THAT THEY HAVE PROPERTIES FOR SALE , AND COULD COST YOU A LARGE AMOUNT OF MONEY BY DOING THIS TO YOU,
Hi, I was a letting agents in Manchester for years, your deposit should be registered with the DPS, TDS or My Deposits so you should contact them with regards to getting your deposit back from Curtis bains-they legally HAVE to give you a full breakdown within 30 days of you leaving the property, you have the opportunity to dispute this They cannot just keep it and would have to change it into the new tenants name.
With regards to your new property, the agents should have given you an inventory when you moved into the property with dated photographs, you should have had the opportunity to amend this as you see fit within 7 days of signing the contract. They cannot charge you for any damage that is noted on the inventory and if they have not provided you with one at all they cannot charge you for ANYTHING...again, I would double check what company your deposit is held with

There are some rogue agents out there still but the deposit companies are usually on the side of the tenant...even if that is sometimes not in the landlords best interest. They are very helpful and will help you to get your deposit back

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending