The Student Room Group

Paid 6 months rent upfront and want to leave early

I paid rent in advance with a 6 month contract but want to leave just after two months. The problem is amounts of rubbish in communal areas, noisy and conflict marginalised neighbors, something is always breaking in the house - shower, socket, light, battery... And everytime you have to wait a week until the agency contacts the landlord and the landlord comes to fix it. In the contract, there is only a short line about early cancellation of the agreement, which warns of compensation for losses to the landlord if I leave earlier. The thing is, I don't mind finding a replacement tenant, but my estate agency is ignoring my questions about early cancellation of the contract. I’m thinking of coming and talking to them face to face, or asking the landlord directly. It just seems to me that they won’t want to return the money I prepaid in advance. What are my rights? What can I do? Living here makes me depressed
You cannot leave your contract early unless you have a break clause. If you do leave early you still have to pay for the remaining period. If you have paid in advance then the landlord can keep the money and if you are paying monthly then you have to keep paying until the end of the contract. This is how contracts work.
There are 2 ways to come out of it, either find a replacement tenant or request your landlord to terminate the contract early. If you request your landlord and they agree then they might charge you a fee to find a replacement tenant. Most estate agents charge the landlord equivalent of a month's rent so the landlord may take it out of your advance payment. They may make.further deductions if you leave the property in a bad state.
If things are getting fixed and you can sustain then that would be the best route. If you have to leave then talk to the agent in person.
Original post by bohdan13484
I paid rent in advance with a 6 month contract but want to leave just after two months. The problem is amounts of rubbish in communal areas, noisy and conflict marginalised neighbors, something is always breaking in the house - shower, socket, light, battery... And everytime you have to wait a week until the agency contacts the landlord and the landlord comes to fix it. In the contract, there is only a short line about early cancellation of the agreement, which warns of compensation for losses to the landlord if I leave earlier. The thing is, I don't mind finding a replacement tenant, but my estate agency is ignoring my questions about early cancellation of the contract. I’m thinking of coming and talking to them face to face, or asking the landlord directly. It just seems to me that they won’t want to return the money I prepaid in advance. What are my rights? What can I do? Living here makes me depressed

I understand your frustration and the difficult situation you're in. Here's a concise response focusing on your rights and next steps:
Even with a 6-month contract, your landlord has a legal obligation to provide a habitable living space. The issues you describe (rubbish, noise, frequent breakdowns) might breach this obligation.
File a formal complaint and keep the record of it for future
Consult legal help for a clearer interpretation and your options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending